BREAKING news, Price Drop Policy...new info

Sue L

Thanks for the post, Sue. If I remember correctly, you said on page one that you did ask what would happen if and when the new policy DOES take effect and you get the OBC...and then don't use the whole OBC by the end of the cruise...you asked, but you didn't tell us what they said!!??

Sadly, I check the Liberty 11/1 prices every day and they're holdin' steady!

Oh sorry, if you don't use it, it will be credited back to the card on your seapass. At least that is great, we prebook excursions, specialty restaurants, etc and we are not big drinkers, my cruise recently went down $540 PER PERSON and there is no way we would have spent that so I was very curious on the answer.

Honestly ... as far as I can tell, most people are in the dark about price drops unless they have a good TA or are on Cruise Critic. Good to know though.

So true before I found Cruise Critic, I never checked for price breaks. So far since CC I've had three price breaks, a total savings around $800.00 for the 2 of us.

aww crap. Now i have to rebook all my cruises that i cancelled because of this new policy.

Has anyone seen my camera? I left it right here on the lounge chair and now its gone.

zing!

Edit: Dammit I hate that CC removes all the caps and changes them to all lower case!

Oh sorry, if you don't use it, it will be credited back to the card on your seapass. At least that is great, we prebook excursions, specialty restaurants, etc and we are not big drinkers, my cruise recently went down $540 PER PERSON and there is no way we would have spent that so I was very curious on the answer.

Well that's fabulous news. This case is completely closed. That is, IF the person you asked is correct and IF they don't decide to change that as well.

It really doesn't affect me that much but i'm happy for people like you and your $540 reductions. I don't spend enough on cabins (at least I haven't in the past nor on my upcoming cruise) to get monstrous price reductions. Once my sister and I got $35 each...and, well that's the only one I've known to check so far...

Except for the Liberty this Nov. Actually the price DID go down. They got rid of the residency rate ($619pp) and THEN lowered the regular rate to $614. I won't be calling for the $5 though...and I can't IMAGINE it'll go any lower! Waaaah. RCI owes me another C&A cap and a price reduction!

Well that's fabulous news. This case is completely closed. That is, IF the person you asked is correct and IF they don't decide to change that as well.

It really doesn't affect me that much but i'm happy for people like you and your $540 reductions. I don't spend enough on cabins (at least I haven't in the past nor on my upcoming cruise) to get monstrous price reductions. Once my sister and I got $35 each...and, well that's the only one I've known to check so far...

Except for the Liberty this Nov. Actually the price DID go down. They got rid of the residency rate ($619pp) and THEN lowered the regular rate to $614. I won't be calling for the $5 though...and I can't IMAGINE it'll go any lower! Waaaah. RCI owes me another C&A cap and a price reduction!

You never know, don't give up checking!!!

I have very little faith, but believe you me, I don't give up. I have the page loaded and all I have to do is refresh it so it's really easy to check dail...I mean twice a day. :)

ah, that way doesn't always work, your cookies could interfere, you are better off starting fresh each time.

I wasn't just hitting 'refresh.' I stayed in the screen that you get after putting in all your data, just before you actually pick the ship and the date. On THAT screen, I would hit SEARCH with all my criteria already in there, again, not refresh. So I don't THINK the cookies would've been a problem.

That said, I got out and started over. No change. But I'll keep checking! :) Again, though, I don't see it going under $614 for Liberty 11/1. They might as well just hand me the cruise.

Thanks Sue for the updated info -

That may explain the advice I was given today when I called and asked about the new policy. I was told any price drop after final payment would become OBC. Before final payment it would be credited to the balance due or back to the CC is the total payments exceeded the new balance. The rep was not sure if the post-final payment OBC could be used to pay for prereserved excursions, speciality restaurants, or beverage packages. She did assure me than any remaining OBC would be credited back to my CC on file for the SeaPass when the account closed out. I asked politely but point blank why should I not cancel my July 2010 reservation and wait until the ship starts to fill or prices drop.

She mentioned loosing any incentives, the risk of my cabin category selling out or possibly not getting a choice room. I explained that there were still 8 GS available on my cruise and I could happily sail in any of those, my only "incentive" was my C&A balcony discount, and the room I really want is the only other non-connecting GS currently booked. She was also suprised by my comment that since I was already in a suite there were very limited options for the "upsell" on price drops. In my situation we need three separate beds so an OS is not an option. Family Suites seem to always be full during summer and school holidays. That perspective caught her off guard.

When the rep got the idea I was seriously considering canceling, she suggested waiting a few days to see how this all settled.

That may explain the advice I was given today when I called and asked about the new policy. I was told any price drop after final payment would become OBC. Before final payment it would be credited to the balance due or back to the CC is the total payments exceeded the new balance. The rep was not sure if the post-final payment OBC could be used to pay for prereserved excursions, speciality restaurants, or beverage packages. She did assure me than any remaining OBC would be credited back to my CC on file for the SeaPass when the account closed out. I asked politely but point blank why should I not cancel my July 2010 reservation and wait until the ship starts to fill or prices drop.

She mentioned loosing any incentives, the risk of my cabin category selling out or possibly not getting a choice room. I explained that there were still 8 GS available on my cruise and I could happily sail in any of those, my only "incentive" was my C&A balcony discount, and the room I really want is the only other non-connecting GS currently booked. She was also suprised by my comment that since I was already in a suite there were very limited options for the "upsell" on price drops. In my situation we need three separate beds so an OS is not an option. Family Suites seem to always be full during summer and school holidays. That perspective caught her off guard.

When the rep got the idea I was seriously considering canceling, she suggested waiting a few days to see how this all settled.

I think conversations like yours is the reason they rescinded this new policy. The policy as it is currently is what makes RCCL stand out from the others in this respect.

See this is where RCI is not really thinking these things through before they start proposing all these changes (or enhancements as Goldstein likes to call them).

Since they won't let us combine discounts anymore, there is no real reason to book on board anymore if you get a balcony discount and plan to book a balcony or above, there is no real reason to book out far in advance in an economy such as this where the cabin price gets reduced, sometimes drastically, after final payment and many cabins are left unsold, and there is no real reason to let them have your deposit for a year or more in advance.

Obviously, if you have specific cabin preferences, are going on a holiday sailing or have special needs or multiple cabins, booking early may be a great idea. But it is certainly no longer necessary or even optimal.

Wonder what other "Enhancements" they are cooking up over in Miami?

Colleen

Response from RCI UK via our TA ......

" The £35 charge, I asked them about this and they said they don’t actually do this in America"

Now then is that due to the complaints or are they once again stiffing UK passengers ?

Thanks for posting this Sue and starting a new thread. :)

Patti: Beautiful baby! Congratulations. (But I miss the beautiful picture of you and your DH.)

Kathy

P.S. And yes, thanks to Sue for this clarification and thanks to Patti for calling it to our attention.

i have reservation for 11/29 sailing, i put initial deposit on ship at 669.00

per person price has dropped to 529.00 and with a obc i also have a deposit with princess on same day giess i will cancell that reservation i have with pricess, have been on last 5 cruises with princess and you start seeing the same entertaiment i need a change

Thanks for posting this Sue and starting a new thread. :)

Cruisenfever CONGRATS on the beautiful new baby! (not trying to be rude but...) I assume this is your newest grandchild?

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!

So true before I found Cruise Critic, I never checked for price breaks. So far since CC I've had three price breaks, a total savings around $800.00 for the 2 of us.

I recently got a $340 per cabin drop for my Explorer cruise. I'm cruising with 3 girlfriends who never heard of such a thing and now think I'm a goddess! :D:p

Archived