Holiday Troubles

MrPete

NO SLAMMING PLEASE:)

Why do people always want something for nothing? I was on the Dec 19-25 sailing, have previously been on the Glory, Paradise, Grand Princess, and my first cruise ever on the Jubilee in 1987. I have been on huge ships, and little ships, and the Holiday lived up to the same expectations as my other cruises. It was wonderful!! I think Carnival was pretty generous in offering $100 credit. How could not stopping in Cozumel "ruin" things? Be glad you are healthy, alive, and are even able to go on a cruise!!!!

I think many people book cruises and think the ports are guaranteed... many don't bother to read the terms and conditions and then get very upset when things don't go as planned. I can understand being disappointed.... but some people are never satisfied, regardless. I don't see how anything could be ruined... you are still on a ship :D Then again, that is just me... I go with the flow and try to keep things in perspective... and I personally don't cruise for the ports... I cruise for the cruise experience... sea days and $100 credit sounds great to me!!! LOL!

Ooo. Are we going to start talking about whiny passengers? We heard lots of those on our last cruise in between hurricanes. First off, we didn't know if we were supposed to go to Port Canaveral (their regualr port) or Miami. So then they said go to PC and take a shuttle down to Miami. We parked in PC and let them do the driving the rest of the way to Miami.

We didn't find out until the day we were supposed to be in Grand Cayman that we weren't going there for sure. Obviously, we couldn't go there. They had substantial hurricane damage. But you wouldn't believe the passengers that were upset because they didn't tell us sooner. Big whoop! Either way, we weren't going and there was nothing you could do about it no matter when you found out.

Then, they managed to dredge all the sand out of Port Canaveral while we were gone so we were going back to PC instead of Miami. It was rumored that early arrival in Cozumel was not due to a medical emergency. But it was to put a passenger off the ship, that had got in the captain's face and threw the microphone out of his hand. Don't know if that was true or not. But I heard an awful lot of complaining going on. These people who didn't follow directions about going to PC and catching the shuttle down received a $100 credit. Yet, they were still ticked. You just can't please some people.

NO SLAMMING PLEASE:)

Why do people always want something for nothing? I was on the Dec 19-25 sailing, have previously been on the Glory, Paradise, Grand Princess, and my first cruise ever on the Jubilee in 1987. I have been on huge ships, and little ships, and the Holiday lived up to the same expectations as my other cruises. It was wonderful!! I think Carnival was pretty generous in offering $100 credit. How could not stopping in Cozumel "ruin" things? Be glad you are healthy, alive, and are even able to go on a cruise!!!!

THANK YOU FOR EXPRESSING MY VERY THOUGHTS. WE HAVE BEEN ON MANY CARNIVAL SHIPS AND JUST RETURNED LAST MONTH FROM THE MIRACLE. HAVE SEVERAL TIMES BEEN TOLD WE COULD NOT MAKE A PORT AND THINK CARNIVAL WAS MORE THAN GENEROUS IN THEIR OFFERING.

For some that have never been to Coz before & were cruising to visit that port.....I can understand the disappointment. $100 or not....you don't have to worry about me being on the Holiday. That was truly my ONE Cruise from Hell!:mad: I know lots of people like that ship but the 5 days I spent onboard were absolutely horrible. I'm sure glad I did not let it change my love of cruising.

From what I can see, Carnival had a major change in itenary, and if I recall correctly under their T&C, if the passenger is notified prior to the cruise, they are entitled to a full refund without penalty. However, considering that it's the holiday flying season, it may be impossible to get a ticket back home, so the passengers elected to take the cruise anyways.

Also, if I recall the T&C correctly, Carnival reserves the right to substitute ports, and if the port stop is cancelled, then a small credit is issued.

The last time I checked, the Captain's primary responsibility is for the safety of the passengers. Besides, folks, it's a VACATION. Expect the unexpected.

Since I take my FIRST cruise on the Holiday on later next month it is reassuring to hear MOST of yall say you would go anyway. That tells me I should have ablast no matter what...so I am holding yall to that...;)

My guess is that most Holiday passengers do not fly in...I could be wrong but since it is a small ship in a new market I am guessing that most are regional folks, (like me), that drive in and they all had the option to decline the cruise and most did not...again, I take that as a good sign...I am TRYING to be optimsitic here...:D

BrendaB1....don't even tell me....I don't need to start worrying right now...OK????:p

Rick

Personally I would enjoy the cruise and the $100 credit having been to Cozumel already. But I do understand about some passengers being upset if they were looking forward to docking in Cozumel.

I'm booked for a Mediterranean cruise in August and schedule to visit a few European countries. If I were told that I would be cruising around the Mediterranean instead of visiting the different ports, you bet I'd be upset, but I would try to make the best of it because it would be difficult to fly back home on the same day from Europe.

I wonder how many passengers came from long distances to Cozumel?

You guys are almost all experienced, many time cruises, and having an unexpected change of itinerary is (and should be) no big deal.

A port change or cancellation for a 3 or 4 port trip isn't such a big deal, especially if they manage to get you to a substitute port.

But look at it from this point of view: Many people plan and save for years to take one cruise. For many people, visiting ports is more important than days at sea.

For this cruise, it was a 4 day cruise to a single port. They arrived at the dock to find out it is now a 4 day cruise to nowhere. No point turning around if you flew there, so you just spent a lot of money for a vacation you did not want.

Expecting a credit is not expecting something for nothing - and they are due a refund on port charges too. $100 per person is a reasonable credit for the loss of the only port in my opinion.

They DID get a credit and they DID have the option of getting a FULL refund if they so chose to.From the Mobile Register's article, It seemed that the people were upset that Carnival did not give them a diamond necklace and a new car! OMHO, if people that are going ona 4 day cruise that only visits one port, they are more than likely going for the cruise EXPERIENCE, not necessarily going just to go to Cozumel.You aren't even there that long anyway. I bet peope would have been more upset had Carnival just cancelled the cruise. No ports are guaranteed and the $100 per person credit was very generous on Carnival's part, especially since they did not have to even do that.

When our group sailed the Holiday in '03, we got

-stuck in the mud in the Mississippi for 10 hours

-were diverted from Coz to Key West

-only had 2 hours in port at KW

-sailed back thru a terrible storm that caused the ship to list 30 degrees and had passengers coming up the stairs with life jackets on because of the water over their windows on the lowest passenger deck.

and had the times of our life. Your cruise is what you make of it!

Of course the $125 credit and the 50% off our next cruise letter did not hurt either!

The reporters could not board the ship to interview the people who elected to cruise. They could only interview the ones who took their marbles and went home. I'm thinking that with the Whiners off the ship, those who stayed probably had a BETTER time than they might have.

If it were I, I'd be disappointed, but I'd take the money and hang out by the pool for a few days. How bad could that be, anyway?

Connie

Archived