Valor Reivew 8/23-30

paulanddarnell

Valor Trip review Western Caribbean August 23-30

Our trip started on August 27th when we left Orange County Airport headed for Atlanta and then on to Miami. Our 1:15 p.m. flight was delayed 35 minutes. This was a little concerning because we only had 55 minutes total time to make the connection when the flight left at 1:15. We were told at the time, that all connections were okay. We got on the flight, and the captained said he would make up the time in the air. It was a good flight on Delta, and we touched down in Atlanta at 9:30 p.m. This was cutting it close for our 9:55 flight, and then it took a good 20 minutes to get to the gate. Originally, we were to arrive at gate 23 and leave out of gate 24, but of course, that would be too easy. They took us too gate 1, and we hustled to gate 24 only to find that that flight had been delayed until 10:25. Sigh of relief as I realized that would give enough time for our luggage to get on board. DS and DS’s GF went to get some Chinese food, and we were soon on and off to Miami. Landed in Miami, and all our luggage arrive (yeah). We took a cab to South Beach.

One of the toughest decision about the cruise was where to stay in Miami (the other, what to do in Belize). After booking the Homewood Suites, Biscayne Bay, I decided to cancel and went with the Courtyard Marriot South Beach. It turned out to be a good hotel. The location is good if you can ignore the strip club next door and across the street. There are restaurants close by, just a short walk to the Lincoln Mall, and two blocks to the beach. The hotel did not have any rooms left with two beds and tried to get us to take one with a sofa, but our DS is 24 years old, so we said that wouldn’t work. They gave us a suite, but when we got up there it had one bed and a small sofa in a separate room. So, DH went back down on got us two rooms for the night. Since we were staying for two nights, we changed to a double bed room for Saturday. The suites are in the front of the hotel 5th floor. This was a little noisy. South Beach is hopping, and we could hear it, but we slept fine. You could see the beach from our room. DS had a room right next to the elevator on the same floor, and they actually said it was quite noisy. Second night we were on the second floor in the back of the hotel, and that was a nice quiet room.

We got in around 1 a.m., but we were still on West Coast time, so we decided to eat. We walked less than a block and DH and I ate sushi at Mochi Mochi. Great sushi place; it was a little pricey, but the sushi was excellent. DS and GF had pizza at a place right next door. He told us it “was the best pizza I’ve ever had!” So we also had a pizza. It was great….the crust and cheese became one….awesome!

Then off to sleep for Friday night.

903183419_MiamiSeaDays095.jpg.ffb568d8e050eaa1265fa265a3f75af1.jpg

Saturday, August 28th

We were up a little late and quickly got the room changed. DS and GF had breakfast at a place called Paul in the Lincoln Mall and said it was fantastic. We grabbed a quick bite and headed to the beach. We were a little leery about leaving our stuff on the beach after having everything stolen in Waikiki, but this beach is nothing like that. People were everywhere, and no one bothered anything. We spent a few hours playing in the water. We saw the Liberty heading out for her cruise. It was a nice relaxing day.

We ate dinner at a place called something like Beach BBQ which was right by our hotel. The food was great and very reasonable. They had fried pickles and fried green tomatoes, ribs, prime rib, and very good Southern food. We don’t get that in Southern California, so we thoroughly enjoyed it. We walked the Lincoln Mall and enjoyed the architecture. We stopped at the Ghirardelli shop for some great Sundays. We also stopped at CVS to stock up on sodas for the cruise.

1105453892_MiamiSeaDays025.jpg.8d23d2c1d03b3eed0d8f3bf02055a9c4.jpg

1971962815_MiamiSeaDays054.jpg.ef8974510795300ad74f1956226685e3.jpg

1668052765_MiamiSeaDays077.jpg.2e6d58e3c0187e681da0794f848111a5.jpg

Sunday, August 23rd

We grabbed some breakfast at a little French café next to the hotel. It took forever. One person was managing the cash register and cooking. I was getting a little impatient because I wanted to get on the ship. Soon, we were ready to go. We took a cab to the port. We had taken an upsell from our balcony on the 8th floor to a category 11 suite on the 7th floor. Our main concern when we booked was that we on the 8th floor underneath Rosie’s, so when the upsell came ($300 per room), we decided to go for it.

We had two rooms. The cruise was a college graduation present for DS. He knew we were going to Miami, but he had no idea we were going on a cruise. Of course once he saw the big ship, he knew what was going on but not where we were going.

When we got to the port, we were happy we had done the upsell. It was probably a little before noon, and the line to get into the terminal was out the door. We had to get in that line, but it went quickly as people were put into different lines. This was the first line, and it was just to get a health questionnaire that needed to be filled out. Since we were VIP, they opened up the special VIP lane, and we went right up to the front. (We have never been VIP, and may never be again, but we were loving it). Then, we went and filled out the questionnaire, and were sent to the VIP room. There were no people in there other than the workers.

Many people have asked about the kiosks. I did see them, but no one was using them. You would have to get through the first line, which I imagine took 30-45 minutes. Then you are in the main terminal room. This is where you give your credit card info, show your passport, etc. That line seemed pretty long. So, without VIP, I imagine it took a good hour and a half to two hours to get on the ship. For us, we were right on. We went up to our room, and it was ready.

The category 11 suite was very nice. It seemed huge compared to the other rooms we have had on cruise ships. It was nicer than our bedroom at home. Beautiful crown molding, large balcony, very large bathroom with a tub, it was a great room.

We headed up on deck, and thanks to Cruise Critic, I knew to take the family to Rosie’s for fish and chips. The buffet was packed, but we kept heading to the back. We kept going until I saw the stairs heading up. Up we went, and….no one! There was no one up there. The fish and chips guys were ready. We ordered and were eating and sitting up on deck 10. A few more people came up. DS and GF went down to get other food from the buffet. They brought it back up, and we ate in peace. That is a great secret. The fish and chips station was not busy for at least the first 3 days!! DH loves fish and chips; I find it a little bland but not this fish, it was great. They have a pesto tartar sauce that is the best (and I don’t like tartar sauce). This was great food. They also have ahi on watermelon, ceviche, bouillabaisse, and other food. It was pretty good.

Don't flame me, but I am going to post a picture of the fish and chips! These are from the last sea day so there is a line.

1138022244_MiamiSeaDays103.jpg.b1cc2ea3a09d94dbaff1d4d91b6cc852.jpg

557703349_MiamiSeaDays107.jpg.a3fadcc12f5a1cbf18a17779f885bd2a.jpg

1013646175_CozumelEverglades095.jpg.ec69a3552f17ff9ba55a77a27d564e4d.jpg

2044680299_CozumelEverglades096.jpg.e1ab58e2dbf61379132db3f9a2ca6b21.jpg

Oops, I noticed my first dates were wrong. We left on August 20th not the 27th. I will continue this review. Feel free to ask me any questions. I spent a good deal of time researching the ship and what to do (teacher with the summer off). I must say that we were very happy with every excursion. We did one with Carnival and the rest on our own (thanks to all the info on CC).

Thanks for posting a review on the Valor. I just booked this cruise for Dec 6th. Looking forward to more!

Are you on the roll call for that date? If not, go on over there. I am on this cruise, and it's fun to talk to other people on the same sailing!

Hello. I want to thank you for posting reviews. DH and I will be taking our first cruise together on November 1st and I can't be anymore excited than I already am. I came on here to find out information and get help with what to expect and what is good to do on the excursions.

We went with the cheapest, and I kind of regret it now. We will be right in the middle of the boat on level 6 in a "cubby hole" cabin. I didn't mind since I do not plan on spending my time in the room other than sleep and get ready so to save money on a balcony view, this is why we went with that one.

After reading some of these posts I am thankful I did because I was going to book a 1030 flight out of Miami because it was the cheapest flight back to Chicago.......now it's 1:35 :)

My question that i'm struggling with is what is there to do on these excursions? We will be visiting : Costa Maya, Belize, Cozumel, and Grand Cayman. We both would like to either snorkle or snuba for the first time, and we are having a hard time deciding which location to do this at. Would you or anyone recommend a specific port? I was told Belize had beautiful waters and a great snorkle excursion. Also can you or anyone please give us some tips as to where to purchase these excursions other than on the ship as I hear they charge more.

On our first port we will be having a renewing wedding vows ceremony for my friend and her husband and they will be bringing their children on board to share the moment as well as a commitment as a family. It's going to be special.

Please Please Please any recommendations would be appreciated. Also I'm scared I will get sea sick. Is there a specific brand of motion pills or patch that work better over the other?

Let's see what else........Weather....Has anyone been on a cruise in the beginning of the November? If so how is the weather? I'm seeing that it's 78-79 but i know here in chicago that is not hot but a bit nippy.

How much including gratuity does it cost for beer or a mixed drink?

I know i'm sounding cheap here, I have 3 children ages 5-10 and plus Christmas will be right around the corner so i'm trying to be budget friendly. My next trip will be on our terms of when we go so money wont be a problem then. I wanted to share the moment with my best friend since I was unable to attend her original wedding.

Thank you all for any help you can give me!

Okay, let me see if I can answer a few questions. First, about sea sickness. I too get sick. We had a forward cabin deck 8; I was sure it would be bad, it was not. I took Bonine the night before the cruise. Then, I took one each night for about 3 days. Then I forgot about it. One night, I thought, hey I didn't take any Bonine, but I was find. You are midship and lower down, so I think you will be fine. It is a huge ship. Sometimes I had to remind myself we were on a cruise; it was that smooth.

We did not got to Costa Maya, but I know there are supposed to be some great ruins. We did snorkel and stingrays with Native Way watersports. You can search them on the web or put that all in with a .com and it will come up. We did the Rays, Reef and Rum beach. It really was some great snorkeling. Now, the snorkeling was in deep water off the boat, but it is easy to stay close to the boat. We were real happy with this trip....I will write the entire day up in my review.

As for booking excursions outside of the cruise ship, just do some searching on cruise critic and on the web. The tour companies really know the ship schedule. They make sure you get back on the boat!

I will continue to write my review, and you will get an idea of the excursions. I know that Belize is supposed to have some great snorkelling. When I find the card of the guy that took us snorkelling in Cozumel I will put that up too!

Thanks so much for all the reviews. We sail on Sept. 13th on Valor. It is our first cruise and our anniversary so needless to say we are very excited. You reviews were very helpful. We are looking forward to para - sailing and scuba diving and have some information on these activities but welcome more.

Hello. I want to thank you for posting reviews. DH and I will be taking our first cruise together on November 1st and I can't be anymore excited than I already am. I came on here to find out information and get help with what to expect and what is good to do on the excursions.

We went with the cheapest, and I kind of regret it now. We will be right in the middle of the boat on level 6 in a "cubby hole" cabin. I didn't mind since I do not plan on spending my time in the room other than sleep and get ready so to save money on a balcony view, this is why we went with that one.

After reading some of these posts I am thankful I did because I was going to book a 1030 flight out of Miami because it was the cheapest flight back to Chicago.......now it's 1:35 :)

My question that i'm struggling with is what is there to do on these excursions? We will be visiting : Costa Maya, Belize, Cozumel, and Grand Cayman. We both would like to either snorkle or snuba for the first time, and we are having a hard time deciding which location to do this at. Would you or anyone recommend a specific port? I was told Belize had beautiful waters and a great snorkle excursion. Also can you or anyone please give us some tips as to where to purchase these excursions other than on the ship as I hear they charge more.

On our first port we will be having a renewing wedding vows ceremony for my friend and her husband and they will be bringing their children on board to share the moment as well as a commitment as a family. It's going to be special.

Please Please Please any recommendations would be appreciated. Also I'm scared I will get sea sick. Is there a specific brand of motion pills or patch that work better over the other?

Let's see what else........Weather....Has anyone been on a cruise in the beginning of the November? If so how is the weather? I'm seeing that it's 78-79 but i know here in chicago that is not hot but a bit nippy.

I know i'm sounding cheap here, I have 3 children ages 5-10 and plus Christmas will be right around the corner so i'm trying to be budget friendly. My next trip will be on our terms of when we go so money wont be a problem then. I wanted to share the moment with my best friend since I was unable to attend her original wedding.

jenyma1- If you have not done so yet you should check out the rollcall message board for your cruise. My wife and I will be on the same cruise. I have been able to meet several nice fellow crusiers that will also be on the Vallor Nov. 1st. :)

Good to hear about the Courtyard Marriott - saw some decent rates for next March but wasn't sure about the neighborhood. Seems if you request a quiet room at the back of the hotel, it would be great. Also, did you go on the roof to the pool?

Nice review so far - thanks for posting!

Valor Trip review Western Caribbean August 23-30

Our trip started on August 27th when we left Orange County Airport headed for Atlanta and then on to Miami. Our 1:15 p.m. flight was delayed 35 minutes. This was a little concerning because we only had 55 minutes total time to make the connection when the flight left at 1:15. We were told at the time, that all connections were okay. We got on the flight, and the captained said he would make up the time in the air. It was a good flight on Delta, and we touched down in Atlanta at 9:30 p.m. This was cutting it close for our 9:55 flight, and then it took a good 20 minutes to get to the gate. Originally, we were to arrive at gate 23 and leave out of gate 24, but of course, that would be too easy. They took us too gate 1, and we hustled to gate 24 only to find that that flight had been delayed until 10:25. Sigh of relief as I realized that would give enough time for our luggage to get on board. DS and DS’s GF went to get some Chinese food, and we were soon on and off to Miami. Landed in Miami, and all our luggage arrive (yeah). We took a cab to South Beach.

One of the toughest decision about the cruise was where to stay in Miami (the other, what to do in Belize). After booking the Homewood Suites, Biscayne Bay, I decided to cancel and went with the Courtyard Marriot South Beach. It turned out to be a good hotel. The location is good if you can ignore the strip club next door and across the street. There are restaurants close by, just a short walk to the Lincoln Mall, and two blocks to the beach. The hotel did not have any rooms left with two beds and tried to get us to take one with a sofa, but our DS is 24 years old, so we said that wouldn’t work. They gave us a suite, but when we got up there it had one bed and a small sofa in a separate room. So, DH went back down on got us two rooms for the night. Since we were staying for two nights, we changed to a double bed room for Saturday. The suites are in the front of the hotel 5th floor. This was a little noisy. South Beach is hopping, and we could hear it, but we slept fine. You could see the beach from our room. DS had a room right next to the elevator on the same floor, and they actually said it was quite noisy. Second night we were on the second floor in the back of the hotel, and that was a nice quiet room.

We got in around 1 a.m., but we were still on West Coast time, so we decided to eat. We walked less than a block and DH and I ate sushi at Mochi Mochi. Great sushi place; it was a little pricey, but the sushi was excellent. DS and GF had pizza at a place right next door. He told us it “was the best pizza I’ve ever had!” So we also had a pizza. It was great….the crust and cheese became one….awesome!

Then off to sleep for Friday night.

Couldn't help myself in asking this question. When you booked the room at the courtyard were you garunteed the room with two beds? If so I would have envoked their 100% satisfaction. Hotels will give away the better rooms later in the evening.

Just a quick tip for all cruisers: If you are getting in a lot later than planned call the hotel and ask to speak with the manager on duty. Have them go over you reservation details. make sure you get their name. Then if you arrive late and low and behold they have given your resevered room away you can say "well I spoke to so and so at this time and they said that I had this room therefore you need to give me the room I reserved or you need to give me another room for free." Be nice about it, but be stern. Works every time. trust me, I'm always the manager on duty... lol!

Wife and I are on the same cruise! It is our 20th Anniversary!

We have cruised a lot (well not a lot by this boards standards...lol...but I've been on about 8 cruises) and I use to always get sea sick on the 2nd or 3rd day every single time. So I just started taking the non-drowsy Dramamine the day before the cruise and take one every day even if I feel fine. I've done that the last 3-4 cruises and never once got sick. Never once felt like I would.

Don't worry about sounding cheap. We like to cruise in part because it is a great value. It seems expensive because you pay for everything (almost) up front. But if you compare it to almost anything else, it will usually come out on top.

If your renewing your vows, than I'd recommend you do the supper club one night. $30 per person but very nice. There are many a thread on the supper clubs. If you don't want to spend the money, it will be more than nice in the MDR, but the Super Club is "special". Many estimate you would spend a $100-$150 per person eating like you eat in the Super Club. But still some like it and some don't think it is worth it. We have never done a Super Club. Been on 2 ships that had them, but just never got around to it. We have made reservations on the day of our anniversary (11/4).

We are doing "limited" excursions this time. We will do the Stingrays as that is a "must". Yes touristy, but a must. And I'm trying to find a "party" excursion or something. Where you go out on a boat and listen to music, drink and maybe a little snorkeling.

I don't think the drinks on board are terribly expensive. Yes more than your local bar, but less than a nice hotel or even Vegas (in most cases). You are allowed to carry on up to one bottle of wine per person. You could take advantage of that, but there is a "corkage" fee to drinking them in the restaurants. But no charge to drink them in your room. And while against the rules many pack rum or vodka or such in their check in luggage. Not suggesting it, or recommending it, just saying a lot of people do it (be sure and protect against breakage by getting plastic bottles and putting in double zip lock bags). Again, not suggesting "I'm just saying"....lol

Every where you turn on the ship they will try to sell you something. Pictures, art, Spa, workouts, Bingo, shopping tips, etc, etc. You don't have to do any of it. Tho if you sign up for the art auction you can get free drinks. It is free to sign up, and kind of fun to look around. Generally recommend against buying.

If you want to do the Spa, they usually have deals while in port, so check than. Since this is a special trip, you might want to buy a pic or two. Just account for it in your budget and don't go overboard. If you think you want to buy a pic, but sure and stop everywhere they are taking pics to ensure you get a good choice. No charge for having pics taking, only for buying a pic.

Does that help???

Awesome thank you!!!

I have another question. Does anyone know what form of transportation would be the best once I arrive at the Ft. Lauderdale airport? I hear taking a taxi is not a great idea.

Also was wondering if anyone wold recommend a decent hotel near the port with of course cheap rates but yet not a roach motel either. LOL I know I know......

I am not the one who is renewing vows. My best friend is with her husband. Hubby and I were originally going to go to Puerto Rico and they begged us to go on the cruise which I never had any interests in doing so before because I am afraid of drowning. When looking into it, I did notice for all that we can do and the food all would be so much cheaper.

Thank you again for all your help!!! I will have to check that board you were telling me about.

Wife and I are on the same cruise! It is our 20th Anniversary!

We have cruised a lot (well not a lot by this boards standards...lol...but I've been on about 8 cruises) and I use to always get sea sick on the 2nd or 3rd day every single time. So I just started taking the non-drowsy Dramamine the day before the cruise and take one every day even if I feel fine. I've done that the last 3-4 cruises and never once got sick. Never once felt like I would.

Don't worry about sounding cheap. We like to cruise in part because it is a great value. It seems expensive because you pay for everything (almost) up front. But if you compare it to almost anything else, it will usually come out on top.

If your renewing your vows, than I'd recommend you do the supper club one night. $30 per person but very nice. There are many a thread on the supper clubs. If you don't want to spend the money, it will be more than nice in the MDR, but the Super Club is "special". Many estimate you would spend a $100-$150 per person eating like you eat in the Super Club. But still some like it and some don't think it is worth it. We have never done a Super Club. Been on 2 ships that had them, but just never got around to it. We have made reservations on the day of our anniversary (11/4).

We are doing "limited" excursions this time. We will do the Stingrays as that is a "must". Yes touristy, but a must. And I'm trying to find a "party" excursion or something. Where you go out on a boat and listen to music, drink and maybe a little snorkeling.

I don't think the drinks on board are terribly expensive. Yes more than your local bar, but less than a nice hotel or even Vegas (in most cases). You are allowed to carry on up to one bottle of wine per person. You could take advantage of that, but there is a "corkage" fee to drinking them in the restaurants. But no charge to drink them in your room. And while against the rules many pack rum or vodka or such in their check in luggage. Not suggesting it, or recommending it, just saying a lot of people do it (be sure and protect against breakage by getting plastic bottles and putting in double zip lock bags). Again, not suggesting "I'm just saying"....lol

Every where you turn on the ship they will try to sell you something. Pictures, art, Spa, workouts, Bingo, shopping tips, etc, etc. You don't have to do any of it. Tho if you sign up for the art auction you can get free drinks. It is free to sign up, and kind of fun to look around. Generally recommend against buying.

If you want to do the Spa, they usually have deals while in port, so check than. Since this is a special trip, you might want to buy a pic or two. Just account for it in your budget and don't go overboard. If you think you want to buy a pic, but sure and stop everywhere they are taking pics to ensure you get a good choice. No charge for having pics taking, only for buying a pic.

Does that help???

Where would I find that at?

jenyma1- If you have not done so yet you should check out the rollcall message board for your cruise. My wife and I will be on the same cruise. I have been able to meet several nice fellow crusiers that will also be on the Vallor Nov. 1st. :)

Awesome thank you!!!

I have another question. Does anyone know what form of transportation would be the best once I arrive at the Ft. Lauderdale airport? I hear taking a taxi is not a great idea.

Also was wondering if anyone wold recommend a decent hotel near the port with of course cheap rates but yet not a roach motel either. LOL I know I know......

I am not the one who is renewing vows. My best friend is with her husband. Hubby and I were originally going to go to Puerto Rico and they begged us to go on the cruise which I never had any interests in doing so before because I am afraid of drowning. When looking into it, I did notice for all that we can do and the food all would be so much cheaper.

Thank you again for all your help!!! I will have to check that board you were telling me about.

Ummm...unless I and wife screwed up the 11/1 sailing of the Valor is out of Miami. We are staying at a hotel at South Beach and flying into MIA. We plan on taxi's. We are actually staying at the Marriott South Beach, we are using Marriott points (and using airline points for the flight) so will be a cheap trip for us...LOL

Archived