Need help - Trunk or Coki for Snorkeling

VTSnorkeler

Anyone snorkeled at both these spots? I've heard the underwater trail at Trunk is lame... is this true?

We will be in port on a Sunday, and as far as I can tell there will be no other ships in port that day, so overcrowding is not an issue.

We don't mind the "hassle" of getting to St John, so that isn't a concern either.

I guess the question, is which beach provides better snorkeling, and by what margain?

Thanks for your help!

We were on St Thomas in October ... rented a jeep and went to 3 different beaches ... our favorite was Secret Harbor. Full bay of coral & grass. Saw turtles, rays, and every fish imaginable. Very calm, good bar/restraunt.

Sapphire is good, too - was just rough the day we were there.

Hello,

You are likely to see a greater number of fish all at once at Coki... they get fed by snorkelers so swarm around. The underwater trail at Trunk Bay might be considered lame by an active diver... otherwise its neat.

In terms of the beach they aren't in the same category...

Trunk bay is more natural, relaxing... its part of the National Park. vs. Coki which is smaller, has folks 'hawking' snorkeling gear, drinks, food, chairs, umbrellas, hair braiding & is a bit run down as far as the restroom/food shacks.

--Islander

The snorkeling trail at Trunk Bay is not that good, but if you've never been to Trunk, you're missing one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. We love it and will go for our fifth time in a couple of weeks. I can't get enough of it.

I think I have the info I was looking for.

From what I gather the snorkeling is probably better at Coki, but the combination of fair snorkeling and the beauty of Trunk Bay outweigh the inferior snorkeling that is found there.

Am I correct in making this assumption?

We would like to snorkel and are wondering which would be the best.... Coki or Sapphire. Would love to see lots of fish and coral if possible. Have snorkelled at Trunk Bay and it is a lovely beach. Nice marked trail but not so many fish. Thanks

Archived