Tahiti at Christmas?

piper28

Anyone have any thoughts on how Tahiti at Christmas is? Does the place basically shut down? At the cruise I'm looking at, we'd be at Raiatea on Christmas day itself, I'm guessing that at least that day things would be pretty shut down. I'm just having visions of the Eastern Caribbean at Easter, where things really were pretty closed down, and I'd hate to travel all the way out there for something similar.

• 3 weeks later...
Interesting question and I look forward to peoples' insights. I am booked for Xmas 2010 and didnt even think about this. I hope there will be some excursions available.

Coach,

I am seriously considering booking this cruise. Flights - What day do you need to leave to arrive in time for departure? Gain a day going and lose one on return?

Not only does Tahiti shut down for Christmas Day, but it shuts down for a couple of weeks. We were there after New Years and some businesses were still closed. However, most of the more touristy stuff was open. Christmas is a time for family and friends in Tahiti. You should make allowances and have other plans on the books for the week.

Coach,

I am seriously considering booking this cruise. Flights - What day do you need to leave to arrive in time for departure? Gain a day going and lose one on return?

This is my first time, so I am by no means an expert. I do not think you cross the International Dateline, so I am not sure what you mean by "gain a day" and "lose a day." I think it is about an 8.5 hour flight from LAX with Air Tahiti Nui offering two daily flights. Both leave in the afternoon, like 1pm and 4pm, and get you into Tahiti that evening. You fly in the day before your cruise is scheduled to depart, but you can board the ship and spend the night onboard. The ship actually leaves Papeete the following day. The flights home are all late, around 11pm. You can spend the day onboard, but need to be out of your cabin in the morning. You can leave a day bag in one of the lounges and have full use of the public areas before having to leave for the airport. I hope this info helps a little.

I beg to differ with Spikesgirl. We were on the Paul Gauguin two weeks before Christmas 2007, leaving Tahiti on 12/22. All of the excursions were operating during our various stops at the islands, and the pearl and other shops were definitely open!. Papeete was hopping, especially at the outdoor marketplace. Lots of Christmas decorations and flower arrangements for sale. All of the gift and pearl stores were open, with quite a selection available. We noticed absolutely no difference in the availability of excursions or activities during that period, as compared to our previous two cruises on the PG at other times of the year..

Also, in contrast to expectations, we had wonderful weather throughout. No rain at all, except for the last day in Papeete! (December is considered the rainiest month.)

Good luck with your planning!

Beam, it is hard to give you recommendations for excursions without knowing what you want to do on your cruise. If you love snorkeling, you will find many excursions that will take you out for a wonderful time. Everything is pricey in French Polynesia, so you can expect, say, $80-100 pp for a snorkling excursion of about half a day, maybe including lunch, maybe not. There are island exploration activities in off road vehicles. Many will take you to the "marae", or sacred places with carvings of early islanders, including spectacular views of the islands. If you dive, of course there are dives with the best dive crew in the Pacific.......

glenda

Archived