We need advise re: Cozumel Tulum or Cobo?

Ohio-C-Luver

We will be in Cozumel on 12/30/09 and are trying to decide on seeing the ruins. We have read about both ruins and they are Princess Excursions, which one is the better one? Are they worth all the travel time or is there something more fun to do in Cozumel? :confused::eek::confused: Any and all suggestions will be appreciated! :D Thanks for you help!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jan,

No respond to your questions yet! We would like to do both Tulum and Cabo. I think a private tour would give you more time at each site, and not do shopping half way there and waiting for a large group to meet up.

Let wait and see! We may still get some good advice about Tulum.

I can speak for Tulum because I did it from Coz. The Tulum ruins are beautiful and are situated on the ocean, BUT . . . it takes up most of the day to do the trip. How long are you in Coz?

If you think you will be at a mainland port sometime, then I would save the Tulum tour for that time. This would also allow you to avoid the ferry ride which is known to cause seasickness in a lot of people. However, if seeing the only ruins situated on the ocean is high up on your list, then go for it.

I did the Coba excursion w/ Princess Cruises and really enjoyed it. Coba is not as crowded as Tulum is and is in the middle of the Jungle. It was a wonderful experience and the guides were great. Coba is an amazing place & it was a lot of fun to climb to the top of the 12 story pyramid - Nohoch Mul. It really towers over the Jungle. The only downside is it's an all day excursion and a long ride to Coba. Though I think it was so worth it to see these ruins.

I can only comment on Tulum, which we may try again this year. The combination of Mayan history with the views of the ocean from the top of the bluff are well worth the trip. ... and our trip was :eek:. It was a gloomy day, our ferry was nearly hit by lightning, and it rained heavily most of the way there. We still had a great time.

Tulum covers a farily large area and there are many different things to see as you tour the grounds. Just outside the ruins, there were some carnival type entertainers (like the buskers you'd find in any big city). Some people are put off by that, but I think it adds color.

Have not been to Tulum but I have been to Coba and agree with the other person who posted about it. It is very different than the other ruins as it is not as excavated and in the middle of the jungle but it was one of my favorites. The guides were excellent. The pyramind you can climb was breathtaking. At the top you tower over the jungle and can see everything for miles. Awesome. We used a private tour guide Stephanie Baker. You can email her at info@accessecotours.com. She was excellent and will make sure you get back to the ferry in time. She took us out for lunch at a local place that we would never have found on our own or been able to order as they only spoke Spanish. The food was great and authentic. She is Europeon and speaks English and Spanish. It was like having our own translator. I would definately recommend her. It was like going with a friend.

Archived