Hyatt Pier 66 Information - Fort Lauderdale

We are booked at the Hyatt in a few weeks and we need some advice from past guests on which is better to stay at? There is the tower and garden rooms. Which is better? Also, can anyone comment on the beds. Past reviews said that they are VERY uncomfortable. Any good restaurants close by. Any other information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for you help!
Lisa

I'm in Fort Lauderdale all the time, but have only been in a friends room in the tower.. and when I asked, as I understand it, the tower rooms are more recently renovated. Her room was very nice and big with a nice balcony.. and she got in on Priceline I think. I can't imagine the beds are that uncomfortable.. it's a Hyatt after all.

You have restaurant choices in the complex, and nice restaurants on A1A or on Las Olas Blvd are a short taxi away..

CRUISES: Queen of Bermuda '89 Tropicale '99, Explorer of the Seas '02, Radiance of the Seas '02, Vision of the Seas '03, Queen Elizabeth 2 '03, Infinity '03, Serenade of the Seas '03, Monarch of the Seas '03, Norwegian Star '03, Queen Mary 2 '04,
Diamond Princess, '04

Detailed ship pix: [url="http://community.webshots.com/user/mattinla"]http://community.webshots.com/user/mattinla[/url]

Well I was there just one month ago. If I ever go back to Fort Lauderdale...which you can bet I will...I'm going on Priceline and trying to get the Hyatt again. We debated whether to ask the front deck to switch us to the tower. But then decided because of my kids...that a 2 level building room by the pool was a better choice. In the end...we were very pleased to have a room overlooking the amazing ground, gardens and pool. Just beautiful. We had palm trees and flowering trees right outside our second story balcony. You are going to have the best time. The pool is gorgeous, the rooms are very roomy, bed is comfortable, bathroom is lovely, staff is very friendly...with a granite shelve-lined tub. Make sure to head to the rotating bar at the top for the best views...my only complaint is prices...wow were the food and drinks expensive. So the second night we ventured out for food...if you take a left out of the parking lot...you will head down to the beaches...tough to find parking...but there are plenty of great open air restaurants along the A1A beach road. However, if you take a right out of the parking lot...over the bridge...you will see tons of restaurants along that main road with plenty of parking. If your like me and need a good cup of Dunkin Donuts java in the morning...head this way and a mile or so down on the right...there is one. Have a wonderful time!!!

PS...we drove down...but I agree with the above post...a taxi ride wouldn't cost much at all...whichever way go go...they are all very closeby!!!

My first balcony on the Vision!!! 2/20/05
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=da70d6&cdt=2005;2;20;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]
RCCL Majesty of the Seas - April 2004
Carnival Inspiration - June 2003
RCCL Monarch of the Seas - July 2002

We stayed there a year ago in a garden room, great time. Don't forget about the water taxi, it leaves right from Pier 66 Marina dock and it goes everwhere. We went to 15th street fisheries for dinner by water taxi and then back, great meal, ate outside, enjoyed watching the yachts and that morning we were in Boston where it was cold!!!!!!

Great time in FLL!!!

The water taxi has a schedule as to all of its stops and it is very reasonable. There is also a discount coupon on its website (watertaxi.com/fortlauderdale/

Have fun!!!

• 3 months later...
A second vote for the 2-story section of the hotel. We can stay here usually for $80-$90 via priceline (upcoming december for $87). As stated above by another poster, it's very pleasing to throw open your balcony onto lush, landscaped yard (especially, if you're escaping the snow and ice of the northern winters like we usually are). The tower, it seems to me, is more sterile and more appropriate for business travel. For the money (there's a $20-$80 upcharge for the tower) and for the up-close-and-personal smell of tropical flowers outside, I vote yes for the two-story section of the hotel. And no matter what the prices, the revolving restaurant/bar at top of the hyatt is worth it...enjoy...

We have stayed at the Hyatt in both the Garden rooms and the Tower. Definitely preferred the tower room. Great view of the port if you get the right location. As for the dining. There is a really terrific restaurant in the Renaissance Hotel that is just a short walk over the bridge. I cannot remember the name but they were located on A1A until the bulding was razed and we were so excited to find them again in the area. Fine dining in a casual setting.

We were there for 2 nights pre-cruise and one night after in March.

Our room was right by the pool and if the greenery (shrubs) were a little bit lower, we would have had full view of the pool and hot tub from our patio. We loved it on the first two nights and requested and got the same when we returned from the cruise. Since we are sun worshippers it was nice to be that close to our room and we went back and forth several times a day.

Friends from Ft. Lauderdale met us and took us to dinner in the beach area one night and we went to Grille 66 two nights. The view was spectacular watching all the yachts on the intercoastal while we ate. Pricey, but worth it. We had 18 ounce lobster tails...The revolving tower is not to be missed. Again, drinks were $9.00 each but worth it since I have no idea when I'll ever be back there.

Wish I could say I paid priceline prices but it was $269.00 a night. Heard too many nightmare stories about priceline...

It is truly a wonderful hotel....

I just phoned directly to the Hotel and booked with credit card . I think it was something around that price. At least when we got to the room around 7pm my reservation was waiting for me.

Just wondering, what kind of horror stories have you heard about Priceline? I've been successful 3 times. Very satisfied once, satisfied once, and disappoined once. I'm trying to book again for January, but so far, have been unsuccessful.

Friends booked airfare through priceline and when they got to the airport, were told that they were not booked. After paperwork, they did fly.. Also, they had requested to go from Newark to St. Thomas, non-stop, if possible. They ended up on a Newark to San Juan flight with several hours layover to St. Thomas. We flew non-stop to St. Thomas for $200.00 less than they paid on priceline. We booked directly with the airline right around the same time.
I know a few others who booked hotels through priceline..Miami, Fort Lauderdale, San Juan, Chicago and when they got there (even after confirming) were told they had no room at the price booked but of course they had others at a higher price. All ended up paying a higher price than what was quoted.
Maybe it's luck but I wouldn't do it. I'd rather book directly with the hotel...

Archived