Review Statendam 12/6-21, 2004 pt 3

ryansmemom

Part 3

The volcanic origins of Hawaii have resulted in spectacular topography. We were consistently amazed and impressed with the sheer beauty of the islands. We took 4 HAL tours on 5 of the islands we visited.

Our first stop was on Hilo, Hawaii The Big Island. We arranged a helicopter fly over Kilauea. Neither of us had every flown in a helicopter, so we were really looking forward to the experience. We were fortunate to be seated up front with the pilot so that our feet were sitting on the clear part of the bell and we had a clear view straight down. It was exhilarating!! The think canopy of the rain forest was broken with hundreds of waterfalls. And then the volcano came into view. The IMAX does not do it justice. It is massive. The crater is this huge pit, with steam rising out to the sky. Inside there are smaller craters and globs of sulfur and lava. Outside the crater, miles and miles of black crust of lava with red-hot lava bubbling out. Here and there, oases of vegetation that for some reason, the lava missed. Then out over the ocean. WOW!!

Then we shopped at Hilo Hattie’s. Great Store!

Next we went to Honolulu, Oahu. Big City. Hawaii 50. Diamond Head. Waikiki Beach. Pearl Harbor. It felt like the 21st. Century. We learned names like, Roberts, they run all the tours. We took the Army Duck tour. We sat way up high in this yellow-orange truck and were driven around the city. We say the Ioloni Palace where the King lived, the State house with his statue along with statues of Queen Liliuokalani and Father Damien. The war memorial and other sites. Then we were taken into the harbor in the same vehicle. We had a great time. Other people visited Pearl Harbor and were extremely moved. Unfortunately that would have been too physically taxing for me.

Our third Island was, Nawiliwili, Kona This Island is called “The Garden Island” We took a river boar tour, which was very nice. It consisted of a slow boat ride down a gorgeous river, lined with beautiful vegetation. The Aliee, or Royal Families used this river for religious rites in the past and their descendants still live along it, up in the surrounding mountains. The tour climaxed at a grotto area that was quite beautiful and then we were entertained on our trip back to the dock area.

Our next port was Lahina, Maui. For those of you who have read Michener’s Hawaii, you will definitely recognize this Hawaii. It is just as he described it. We chose a whale watch and our whale performed beautifully for us. He/she even did both a partial and full breach. Quite lovely. We walked around Lahina for a bit and one of the most impressive sites was the Banyan tree that covered an entire city block. Another was King Kamehameha’s palace, a grass hut!

Our last stop was Kona, Hawaii; we did not do a tour. Our only excursion was to yet another Hilo Hattie’s. Kona was a small underdevepled town. It seemed very nice. It was a tender port. A lovely place to walk around.

We bid goodbye to Hawaii that evening by sailing past Kilauea. We were able to see the lava breaking through the crust at night. It was spectacular.

Our visit to Hawaii was sandwiched between those two visits to the volcano.

Both our welcome and farewell Aloha’s were to Kilauea

To be continued

Linda

Linda-Thanks for your review. We are on the same cruise in February. In terms of going ashore, what would you do if you were to do it over again? We are two couples, mostly late 50s, and physically active. What would you recommend doing and avoiding? So far, our TA is providing a tour on Maui and we have a car reserved at Hilo. Because Honolulu is such a big city, I am inclined to just go to Waikiki Beach and flake out for the day, but I may get outvoted. Thanks.

Gary

Gary,

For the first time ever, we truly enjoyed every excursion we took. When and I do mean when we return, I would do at least one more helocopter tour. I am interested in history and if I were able I would like to do the walking history tour. There is also a tour at Hilo where you can walk Kilauea which seemed facinating. Many people felt that the Pearl Harbor tour was the essential tour, however I do not have the stamina.

Then again, a day at Waikiki seems blissful. The view we had of Diamond Head from the ship was beautiful.

What ever you choose to do, I know it will be wonderful.

Linda :)

Linda, This will be our third time to Hawaii, when we go in February. We did the same tours you did on the islands, except the Duck. However, I'm sorry you did not get to Pearl Harbor, The Arizona and Big Mo. The history there is endless. My wife used the wheel chair and we parked it when there wasn't too much walking. we loved the volcano by helicopter, the plantations and even the carriage ride in Kona. The staged luau was not good. We are planning our tours now and again, Pearl Harbor is a must. It has the stary and stop of WWII. We enjoy your reviews and the way you you express yourself. Looking forward to your next installment. Al

As this says part 3, where can I find the other 2 parts? I donot see them.

Great you enjoyed your cruise so much.

We hope to make a Hawaii cruise March 2006, with Celebrity this time.

Archived