Seasickness Remadies

Cqis

Meclizine (generic for Bonine). We get the 100 25mg tablets bottle from drugstore.com (about $6...Bonine is just way overpriced). I've been on the ocean in ships and boats for over 40 years. I took dramamine as a youngster and it would just knock me out. Tried the ginger ale and crackers and other tricks but nothing ever really worked (other than the sleep inducing dramamine).

Thank you so much for telling us about drugstore.com and the Bonine generic! My little Papillon dog gets carsick and we use Bonine for him. $6 for 100 sure beats $5 for 8 pills!

Not that I have anything to add because it's my dog who has the issues, but my sister-in-law said that she took some sort of charcoal tablet on our last cruise and it seemed to help her. I know nothing more about it though.

I use meclizine (sp?) too - buy at the pharmacy for 1/2 the price. No drowsiness and works well.

When I'm REALLY sea sick (HUGE waves, falling over kind of waves, barfing, sobbing - I'm sure you get the picture) I take prescription Phenergan. It's made for extreme nausea and not for sea sickness - but it helps me. Doc gives me small prescrition for emergencies each cruise. Downside is it knocks you out! But when I'm that sea sick that's just fine with me. First night on the QM2 a few yrs ago I thought I was going to die... Phenergan saved me.

Since meclizine is the generic for dramine does it also make you drowzy?

Cely

Cely ...Actually Meclizine is not generic for Dramamine.. Dramamine always made me drowzy..Meclizine is generic for Bonine, which does not make me drowzy..But every one is different..You have to try them & see if you become drowzy with them..

Meclizine 25 mg tablets come either in prescription or over the counter & are much cheaper than Bonine..You can get them in regular pill form or chew-able tablets..

Betty

This is the one thing that can ruin your fun time so here is the skinny...................You must become one with the sea and one with the vessel.............never let your tummy be empty.............fresh air..............do not look down over the side of the ship...............find the SWEET SPOT on the ship.................this will be mid ship, center line on the lower decks................eat salt crackers. We were on the NCL dawn last Oct. at the Captains picture meet and great it was me and two other guests, 25 foot seas with what the Captian called " real big ones overnight " half his crew was sick. He asked me if I was on any kind of sea sick meds.............I told him the cracker trick we both started to laugh as he said " oh your a Navy man I see " I said" Yes I am and in my years at sea nothing works better " he reached into his pocket of his coat and came out with a pack of crackers..................TRUE STORY

This is amazing. This is why we come to C.C.. We get good information. There is a thread about this. Ok. Pepermint, ginger, crackers, right spot on the ship, patches , Bonine, meclizine,bracelets, green tea. I think I will not use draminine this time . I cruise Oct.8,2009 - Oct.26 to Japan &China etc. I will post on 'Seasickness" after the cruise and let you all know how I made out.

Yea-Yea-Yea you were not smoking on this one. You are going to make me want to fly a kite.

I am still going to check to see if anything else comes up. Thanks everyone.

Cely

Cely

Everyone is different.

Some are truly motion sick (like me);

Many are sick from nervousness or think they're just s'posed to be !

In my case I adjusted easily after a couple of days at sea (when younger - now I don't know); what I do know is I cannot read or sleep in a car even today and will likely need help if the first night or so is rough so I intend to simply get some Bonine (not invented back when), even scope patches from my Doc, just in case, but I'm going regardless !!

Our very first cruise was a small ship TransAtlantic. By the second day, we had somewhat rough seas that put down a good third of the ship, (including my spouse who stayed in the suite and skipped dinner), along with a good portion of the crew. One of the pax did very poorly for several days and finally saw the ship's doc and got (what we now dub) "The Shot." It put her right straightaway.

On our next TA when spouse started to feel very poorly, I let it go for the first few hours and then remembered....The Shot!! Called the doc, nurse came and administered it and after a few hours doze, the spouse was in fine shape the rest of the trip. So, if all else fails........:)

Our very first cruise was a small ship TransAtlantic. By the second day, we had somewhat rough seas that put down a good third of the ship, (including my spouse who stayed in the suite and skipped dinner), along with a good portion of the crew. One of the pax did very poorly for several days and finally saw the ship's doc and got (what we now dub) "The Shot." It put her right straightaway.

On our next TA when spouse started to feel very poorly, I let it go for the first few hours and then remembered....The Shot!! Called the doc, nurse came and administered it and after a few hours doze, the spouse was in fine shape the rest of the trip. So, if all else fails........:)

Sally..Do you happen to know what the shot contained? Did not realize they had a shot..Do you know if it works on regular dizziness caused by those little hairs which break off in the inner ear?..

Thanks..Betty

Archived