Honest feedback on new Elite perks!

ewynn07

:(

Hi Dmk !

I was wondering about that too. My understanding was, it was held at Michaels both in the AM, and from 4-6 pm.

And that's correct. Never was anything mentioned about free drinks at the Oceanside Bar (at least not at our cruises).

Never was anything mentioned about free drinks at the Oceanside Bar (at least not at our cruises).

I believe that was on a sailing where there were too many Elites to fit in Michael's Club.

SophieK - why didn't the Michael's Club work for you? 4-6 p.m. was a perfect time to stop in the Michaels Club, have a drink or two and then go to the room and get ready for 8:30 dinner. The Michaels Club Cocktail Hour works better for the late sitting than the early sitting but even the early sitting has time to go have a drink or two and then go get dressed and be down in time for 6:00 dinner.

I'm still not clear on the laundry (30 pieces)...is it per person or per stateroom? Looks like these are pretty good perks..Can't wait till November so we can experience it first hand. Thanks

All of the benefits are PER ELITE MEMBER. 90 minutes of internet PER PERSON and 30 pieces of laundry PER PERSON

We were on the Equinox (Aug 18th) and they moved the afternoon cocktails to the Oceanside due to the number of members on the cruise. Breakfast was at Michael's.

As for the timing, we enjoy the pool most from 5 til 6:30 or so when the crowds are gone and the heat isn't as intense. It really wasn't that important to us to change out of our bathing suits for a drink and then get changed again to go to the pool. I believe you can have as many drinks as you like during those 2 hours but you have to sit in the bar (or Michael's if that is where they have it) to drink them. The Captain's Club coordinator stayed at the door and greeted everyone as they came in so she had a good idea of who was there.

I'm still not clear on the laundry (30 pieces)...is it per person or per stateroom? Looks like these are pretty good perks..Can't wait till November so we can experience it first hand. Thanks

All of the benefits (including laundry) are per Elite member. If both persons in a stateroom are Elite, there will be 2 sets of coupons for laundry, drycleaning, Internet, etc.

SophieK - why didn't the Michael's Club work for you? 4-6 p.m. was a perfect time to stop in the Michaels Club, have a drink or two and then go to the room and get ready for 8:30 dinner. The Michaels Club Cocktail Hour works better for the late sitting than the early sitting but even the early sitting has time to go have a drink or two and then go get dressed and be down in time for 6:00 dinner.

I'm a bit puzzled by your response. If you have a 6:00 dining time you head right to the dining room after a "drink ir two" at Michael's. If you have late seating, 8:30 or later, you leave Michael's at 6:00 after a "drink or two" and then spend the next 2 1/2 hours + getting ready for dinner. What am I missing? In my opinion, the Michael's cocktail party is designed for the main seating in the MDR, it's certainly not geared to late seating diners.

It worked for me on two cruises. I had late dinner, and I went every day it was open. :)

Thanks for you input and have enjoyed your reviews of this perk. My biggest issue is if I have a "drink or Two" at that time of day, there is definitely a nap between cocktails and dinner. Thanks but no thanks.;)

On a more serious note, the next Celebrity cruise we are on we've selected SD and think we'll probably eat a bit earlier then late seating. If we arrive at Michael's at 5:30 and grab a drink, will we have to vacate the bar exactly at 6:00 or can we sit and enjoy our drink? Your answer will help us plan our dinner time and whether we'll simply skip Michael's.

Thanks in advance.:)

will we have to vacate the bar exactly at 6:00 or can we sit and enjoy our drink? Your answer will help us plan our dinner time and whether we'll simply skip Michael's.

Thanks in advance.:)

We were neve hurried out of the bar. They would always tell us when "last call" was, and we could finish our drinks and talk in a relaxed and unhurried way. :)

We were neve hurried out of the bar. They would always tell us when "last call" was, and we could finish our drinks and talk in a relaxed and unhurried way. :)

Thanks so much, this is very helpful info!!!!:) Sounds like we can stick around for a bit, go to our cabin and freshen up and have dinner reservationa at 7:15 or 7:30. Great news.

I believe that was on a sailing where there were too many Elites to fit in Michael's Club.

We were on the Equinox (Aug 18th) and they moved the afternoon cocktails to the Oceanside due to the number of members on the cruise.

I see ..... I was already wondering what they would do when having about 600 Elite members onboard (I believe on one TA in April they had about 800 of them...:eek:.)

Some posters are suggesting taking one less suitcase because of the free 60 items for a couple [ 30 x 2 ]. :) Bear in mind its folded ....and not ironed , and only one ironed item is free. Also on a short cruise [ 7 days ] or less you can not leave it too long into your cruise, because they have to get it back to you in time, so the cut off day is quite soon after you arrive. ;) . Should be better on a TA or longer cruise.

The laundry service turned out to be much better than I expected. I sent several of my son's and husband's shirts and pants (not my own as I was concerned that hot water would be used causing discoloration and shrinkage) and they came back pressed and on hangers- these were laundry items, not dry cleaning.

In terms of afternoon cocktails, whatever works. I am not trying to be argumentative, We travel with our 12 year old son and we stay at the pool until 6:30 or so. It takes around a half hour to an hour to get ready for a 9 pm dinner (and yes we dress appropriately), so we find the cocktail time early for us, just as we find the early dinner seating too early to end our enjoyment of being outdoors. We did go twice to check it out and it was lovely but it doesn't really meet our needs. It doesn't matter because cocktails aren't the benchmark for us anyway- the other perks are wonderful and are much appreciated. This wasn't a complaint- honest!

SophieK - Last night when I went to bed I was thinking about your comments re: 4-6 time not working for late dining and I did see why if you like to sit by the pool later in the afternoon you wouldn't want to have to run to the room, put on smart casual just to have a few drinks. I am a little disappointed now because I also like to sit later in the afternoon by the pool so looks like this perk might not work out for me either. AND if we were out on some tour and just returning to the ship we would probably be wearing shorts so again, would have to go to the room and change. Guess I will have to look for the largest size boxes of wine to take on the ship to satisfy me for my 16 day Panama Canal cruise in Sept.

Except for expanding the hrs more and therefore increasing the costs and limiting the access of non-Elites to Michaels, not sure what other option there is that wouldn't exclude Main diners while the current time period doesn't exclude Late diners but isn't handy for some. Expanding a free service always seems our response to new program.

Personally, I don't wear t-shirts much and I wear zippered pants that convert shorts to pants, so with one quick zip I'm ready.

If going to your SR for a pair of pants isn't worth free drinks and socializing, then enjoy a drink in your room. I'm looking forward to meeting people more then a freebe so I'll be there some times instead of sitting on my balcony with a limited interaction which I also enjoy at times.

to each their own.

Den

Except for expanding the hrs more and therefore increasing the costs and limiting the access of non-Elites to Michaels, not sure what other option there is that wouldn't exclude Main diners Den

One suggestion I had while talking to the CC hostess was to make 4PM to 6PM for early seating, and 6PM to 8PM for late seating. But, there are a few conflicts with that also. :cool:

I am going to "jump in" and join with those saying the new perks are, or sound great. We will enjoy the extras we normally pay for. We are sailing at Christmas/New Years and will still be too soon for Select Dining - the drinks from 4-6 will be a positive for lots of folks - we cruise for the sun and outdoors, as do a lot of us from the North, so, to give up time at 4pm to sit in an indoor room (without even a window) would be a shame - we love the aft bar late in the afternoon, often still in our poolside clothes, sometimes a glass of wine on the balcony, and on many cruises the comradarie of the Martini Bar around 7:30 'til dinner. Like a lot of Elite members we often board with a sizeable OBC so, sitting watching the wake at the back of the ship is basically on Celebrity anyway. We will definitely try Michael's Club before passing judgment and make sure the hostess knows we are pleased that they are making such an effort to keep us happy and loyal.

We tip daily, our cabin steward, extra up front, our assistant steward, after we judge just how much of the work he or she are performing, and of course our normal gratuities to everyone. Have an American friend who orders $2 bills from the bank specifically for cruise tips - wish we could do the same. Ship employees work so hard to provide service (long hours with little sleep between shifts), and in many instances we have heard people being so rude and inconsiderate towards them it is embarassing.

thanks rep for your response but i meant specifically for michaels club. Sorry i wasnt clear enough.

I only dropped in twice. I went once the first morning of my cruise, and had a lovely cappuccino. I called again at 4 , but was told I could NOT have a coffee in the afternoon. I never went again. So they did not have much in tips from me. :rolleyes::D

I don't believe you are suppose to tip in the Michael's Club during that social hour.

To the OP who talked about the tips he gives the crew before hand/during and after.....

we know alot of the crew and they find that tipping ahead is an insult. It leads them to think that that is the only way you are going to get good service. Truth is, and I know you know this, you get EXCELLENT service, whether you tip ahead or in the end. TELL them they are doing a great job and increase the tip in the END

Archived