Best Ports for Alaska Products

forthe3boys

Hi!

Just wondering if someone can tell me which ports are tourist traps and which ports offer more handmade Alaska items?

My parents will be going through the following towns:

Anchorage

Talkeetna

Denali

Alyeska

Seward

Juneau

Icy Strait Point

Ketchikan

Thanks for your help.

forthe3boys

Of the towns we went through two weeks ago (we did not focus on shopping, though)

Anchorage - big town, probably lots of everything, but might depend where they are staying

Seward - nothing within easy walking distance of the port, stores seem to be at least a half mile away, and not as tourist-oriented as the others (as most people pass through it)

Juneau - seemed to have a lot more higher-end stores with "made in alaska" items than other ports

Icy Strait Point- small selection of stores, as it is mainly a criuse ship "company" town, some local/made in Alaska stuff

Ketchikan - seems to have the most (and best deals) on the non-made-in-Alaska stuff, $15 hooded sweats, cheap T-shirts, mugs, magnets, etc., especially more than a block away from the dock. I did see some "made in Alaska" things.

Our Annie does hand made sweaters that a hotel shop in Anchorage sells. She is only paid after the items are sold. That said as she knits all year she makes some nice money for Christmas. She and many of her friends also quilt. Look for quilts at markets and at higher prices gift shops.

The rack in the shop says 'Made in Alaska' as do both the labels she sews in and the hang tag. Look for the Alaska blue flag with yellow stars on it.

Look also in Anchorage for the Ulu Factory and the Musk Ox Shop. All Alaska made items. As well as locally produced art work and photographs.

Mostly it is 'buyer beware' on many things that are actually imported from China and other Asian countries. If something is cheap, you can bet it is not made in Alaska. One of the rip off tourist items is a key chain with the Alaska flag that says 'made in Alaska' as part of the design. It is Chinese!

We just got back from our cruise through the Inside Passage. I found out about a great gift to bring back that is an authentic Alaskan product. It's soap called Glacier Smoothies that is made and sold only in Juneau. It's made from the silt from glaciers and is a very popular item. They have several different scents along with the original clean scent. I got the original one for me and two different scents for my two daughters. The soaps are also very unique looking and come in a nice gift bag. They sell for $7.95 each or three for $21. The shop is right by cruise ship dock in Juneau next to the library on Franklin St.

It's soap called Glacier Smoothies that is made and sold only in Juneau..

Made in Juneau, but sold in other places, too. I just saw it in Palmer at Friday Fling, so probably someone is selling it in Anchorage at the weekend market, too.

We got back from our Alaska Cruise ten days ago. Found wonderful Alaska made jewelry and gifts at Caribou Crossing in Juneau. In fact, we were lucky enough to meet the craftsperson who had made the jewelry we bought. She was in town from Kodiak for a show.

Sheila

I agree with the suggestion of Caribou Crossing - nice, local people with a great selection of Made in Alaska arts and crafts. Also, nice store at the top of Mt. Roberts in the Nature Center. This is not the same big store in the main building. This is a smaller store up the little trail, but they had really nice stuff. We bought ulu knives at Alaska Knifeworks in Juneau and they had the best selection we saw on our trip and the prices were comparable.

I thought the shopping in Ketchikan was horrible. Lots of Made in China junk. Too many jewelry stores, etc. Not impressed at all. And really unimpressed with Creek Street - I found the salmon in the creek much more interesting than the shops there!

Archived