worried sick about driving!

stephic411

I'm 55 and female. For my last cruise out of Galveston, I made the 6 hour drive [B]alone [/B]in my 2005 Chevy diesel truck with almost 100,000 miles on it. I have a new truck, but DH didn't want me to leave it parked there, since it has big, pretty rims and was only 3 months old. :rolleyes: So I had to take the "old" truck. Anyway, I'm just saying that if I can make the 6 hour trip alone in the big diesel, you can make your trip fine with your BF. Do you plan to stop along the way to spend the night? That's what I'd do, if I were you. You can find an inexpensive motel somewhere along the way, in a town where the prices are low. It will be fine!

This wasn't for a cruise, but my fiancee and I drove from Tampa to Indianapolis for our wedding. About 15 hours of driving. We left early (4AM) and switched off every few hours. Some key things that helped us:

[LIST]
[*]XM Radio
[*]AAA TripTik printed directions
[*]Trivia (My fiancee had brought travel Trivial Pursuit). It was fun and kept your mind sharp
[*]Cooler with cold drinks and snacks
[*]Knowing "when to say when". Stop and take enough breaks. Some may tell you drinking coffee keeps you awake. I disagree. It is making sure your body has food frequently enough. And that you get out and stretch.
[/LIST]
We drove back from Indianapolis after our wedding. Same process. And we got along fine. You'll be fine also.

Have a great cruise.

[quote name='jayesouthworth']We drove 8 hours to LA for a cruise -- 3 times. We never had car trouble, and we went in January. We did hit snow at the Grapevine on I-5 and had to take a detour around, but, we spent the night and then boarded the next day. quote]

jan 2007?..we were on the otherside trying to get home and had to take that detour too..i think it added 4 extra hrs to our drive home..:mad:

[quote name='SardisGrandma']Now that everyone has made you more at ease with your car. Start planning a great Road Trip!!! You're leaving enough time in advance to enjoy yourself. I love to drive to ports especially when its a girls get away. The road trip just adds to it.I usually pack a separate bag to use until cruise leaves. Keeps me from having to drag out big suitcase I'll be using on ship. Then on day of cruise I just pitch it in trunk & leave on shore.Course I save my best newest short sets & pj's for cruise. ( Can't miss that pajama party on lido deck) Sleep in that ratty ol tee shirt at the hotel. I assume you going on the Conquest. You'll love it. That was the first ship I went on & now I'm addicted Have a great trip![/quote]

PJ party on the Lido deck? You think I'd have noticed something like that or at least heard about it. :confused:
But yes, my friends and I are planning a road trip from FTW the day before our cruise which is "only" 6 hrs or so. We will be stopping to eat in Houston and then on to Galveston. I too will pack an overnight bag for the hotel. Although I will not let my suitcase sit in the trunk overnight. I think it will be safer in the hotel. Still, I won't have to open it and rummage thru it.

I too am a bit apprehensive about driving. I don't like to drive, but I will have the car checked out the week before, and I won't be alone, so I'll be alright. Just recently had to take my dd to the Houston airport so she could fly to Italy for a semester abroad. I drove back alone. The trip to Houston was a bit hairy as it rained cats and dogs half the way. I just went slow and we got there fine.

[quote name='ehfl']You never explained exactly what is causing your concern. Lots of people drive to take a cruise. Some drive a short distance. Others drive longer. What exactly are you worried sick about?[/quote]

I am worried that my car is going to break down..why I don't know why because it runs fine. I am afraid it is going to snow and take forever to get there. Just everything really! Ha I am a really paranoid driver..that is why my boyfriend will be driving more then me;)

I have had some really bad experiences in the past with driving so that is probably why I am like this. Hopefully this will be good and help me face my fears!:D

[quote name='stephic411']I looked into Amtrak because I thought that would actually be kinda fun..and was shocked how much that is also! It would be about $220 per person round trip.. might as well fly at that point:([/quote]

You can contact Carnival and get a discount code for Amtrak which will give you 20% off.
Dave

[quote name='stephic411']Ya I guess I am just most worried about the car and just a little about the drive. 2 years ago we drove to San Antonio but the car we drove was my friends car-which was brand new, and we had 4 people to take turns driving. Also, we are driving a car not a van:o
You guys are making me feel a lot better though![/quote]

We live in St Louis, MO and we have driven to Port Canaveral several times as well as New Orleans and Mobile Al. I would much rather drive than fly, but I refuse to drive to Miami and that's where we sail from later this month:) I love road trips. I drive on my schedule, not someone else's.:p Have a safe trip!!!

[quote name='stephic411']I am worried that my car is going to break down..why I don't know why because it runs fine. I am afraid it is going to snow and take forever to get there. Just everything really! Ha I am a really paranoid driver..that is why my boyfriend will be driving more then me;)

I have had some really bad experiences in the past with driving so that is probably why I am like this. Hopefully this will be good and help me face my fears!:D[/quote]
I would suggest that a week or so before you leave for the cruise to have your car checked out with a professional that you know and trust. Have them check out the tires, battery, belts, fluid levels, have the oil changed if the time is near for that...yadda yadda yadda. A 30k mile car, if taken care of' should be able to make the trip without incident.

I have found that the best time to be in Houston traffic is at
10AM and 2PM. If you can get on Beltway 8 around Houston it would be
better, but remember its a toll road.

Take your time and take in the sights, and take plenty of breaks. I too
hate to drive along distance.

Houston roads are not that bad, just remember 10 and 2, just like your hands on the wheel. The children are still in school at that time, and people are working, works good for me.

I think you'll be fine. We drove to Ft. Lauderdale a few years ago and are planning to drive there again on our cruise in November unless plane tickets come down. I highly suggest a GPS though, (we like Garmin). They are great for giving you info that most maps do not. They can help you find food and all kinds of fun stuff.

Good luck with whatever you decide!!!

[quote name='stephic411']So my boyfriend and I are driving 14 hours to go on our Carnivial cruise out of Galveston TX. My original plan was to rent a car but to rent it one way twice would be REALLY expensive and almost more then the plane tickets! We don't want to fly because we decided on Galveston all because we can drive it and my boyfriends family is from TX.
I have a 07 chevy aveo with 30,000 miles on it so it is still somewhat new in my opinion. I also have AAA in case something happend. We are leaving on a Thur and the cruise is on that Sat. Maybe I am being all worried for nothing. Has anyone drove a long way to get to their cruise before and if so do you have any tips for me?[/quote]
Looks like you left yourself lots of time and all the other bases coved you will be fine. DW and I drove 8 hours to galvaston after I got off work and we made in good order.

[quote name='stephic411']So my boyfriend and I are driving 14 hours to go on our Carnivial cruise out of Galveston TX. My original plan was to rent a car but to rent it one way twice would be REALLY expensive and almost more then the plane tickets! We don't want to fly because we decided on Galveston all because we can drive it and my boyfriends family is from TX.
I have a 07 chevy aveo with 30,000 miles on it so it is still somewhat new in my opinion. I also have AAA in case something happend. We are leaving on a Thur and the cruise is on that Sat. Maybe I am being all worried for nothing. Has anyone drove a long way to get to their cruise before and if so do you have any tips for me?[/quote]

On 8/24 I left in a car with 40000 miles on the clock [2005] and drove 2300 miles RT to attend a party. What's the big deal.

Since it is a Chevy push the "OnStar" button and they will do a diagnostic of the car and let you know if anything is wrong with it. You are truly stressing out about nothing. We are taking our 2007 Tahoe with 34,000 miles to Galveston port on the day of the cruise in December and that is the least of my worries. You will be just fine! Go and have a blast!!:D

WE drove from Montreal to Fort Lauderdale more then 1000 miles in under 3 days.Definitely have your car checked just to be sure .oil change etc
Pack a cooler with drinks and snacks just in case you get the munchies and nowhere to stop .
Stop regularly to stretch even for 5-10 minutes .Change drivers regularly
Get a triptick from AAA to plan your exact route or highlight your map
Wear comfie clothes ,have nice music CD's etc pillows for bums
Respect all traffic Laws You should be fine
Depending on who drives you could do this in a single day if you start early morning around 2 or 3 AM before it gets too hot .Do not push yourself if you get too tired
2 -7 hour drives ought to do it .Stop at a motel with pool Relax HIt the next segment bright and early the next day THis is how we did it with 2 kids They enjoyed the pools in mid afternoon ..make it part of the vacation
Safe travels
Michele

Let me help you with this. The first time I had a LONG car trip (on my own that is)...I was nervous too. But now I've made a few. The most nerve wracking one was from Virginia back to Cleveland Oh. It stormed like crazy a good chunk of the way. It was only ME and my 11 year old son I just took it slow (it took about 11-12 hours)...there was no good place to stop...I didn't have a GPS back then. Once you've done this trip. You'll be a professional going back wondering what you were worried about.

I seriously doubt you'll have any problems. Like a previous poster said. I'd leave Thursday morning if possible (that is if you have a Saturday ship). We drove from San Antonio to Taos NM (supposed to be 13 hours). Piece of cake. We left around 8 and made it home around 8 (we just didn't hit any traffic...it was smooth). My husband is from South Dakota so we take a couple of 22 hour trips a year. We always SAY we're going to get a hotel halfway but we found out that we're both quite comfortable with 12 hours each. I'm an OWL and he's a LARK. When the sun comes over the horizon. I'm DONE and he's waking up. HOWEVER we have no problems stopping at a hotel or truck stop if we're both tired.

Your car's in good shape.

I really don't think that 14 hours with two people able to drive is a big deal at all. You could even leave very early Friday morning and get there Friday night...but personally I would give myself a day by leaving Thursday. That way you can "relax" and enjoy Galveston a bit. (Galveston has a Shlitterbahn that's supposed to be year round and lots of interesting bars and resturants). If you can't stay with relatives you might want to look for a hotel just outside of Galveston it might be cheaper. I "think" too...there are a few hotels in Galveston that cater to cruise customers and allow you "parking". But I'm not sure about that

Follow the advice on this thread and you are golden!

Biggest thing for me is aleaving time for the unexpected, my gang used to run hard from Detroit area and leave 24 hours to make it to the ship depart time in Miami, that can get a little too pressed and if the car breaks down could be trouble. Never has yet, but a few times we were at the tail end of boarding time driving 24 hours nonstop. Stopping for fuel and that's it.

I try to leave a day b4 and then enjoy it in Key Largo scuba diving if that buffer day is not needed. Shoot up out of Largo whenever I get up and at the ship within an hour. Nice relaxing start to a cruise.......

As for the miles, wow, that car is brand new, my little travelling car I bought just for trips is over a 100,000 miles now and I'll be making 3000 miles roundtrips at least 2 or 3 times this winter once this weather turns so no worries! Have fun, even it is a Chevy!:)

[SIZE=3][COLOR=red]We drive to all our vacations. We have drove to Miami in 03, to Louisiana in 04. LOVE IT. Just me, hubby, and the lady on the GPS. You learn a lot, see a lot, and it gives you time to just TALK. Something that people forget to do when they are home because of the stress of life.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#ff0000]We don't make reservations except at our final distination because of knowing there will be a lot of people in the area. We have our van checked over from top to bottom, load a cooler for drinks, and set off.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#ff0000]We will be doing it again in Nov leaving on the 4th and the cruise doesn't leave until the 8th. We will come home around the 20th to leave out for a show (we have our own business doing embroidery and shirts) on th 27th until the 29th. Love the time together and get excited and butterflies in my stomach everytime I think about it just being us.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#ff0000]RELAX, HAVE FUN, AND MAKE THE MOST OF IT.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

I figured out my delima on the cost of flight tickets to save lots of money we decided to not drive but take the bus It is a great rate right now on the bus we got round trip tickets for 2 on greyhound from Indpls to miami for 250.00 dollars total cost ! we decided it would be worth the 24 hour time we will be spending to save about 450 dollars off round-trip air cost. So I thought I would let you know that is always a option too.

[I]It can be done but if you are not driving non-stop be sure to figure the cost of your motel each way and a the plane tickets may not look so costly. [/I]

OHHH NO!!!!
I guess i better rethink driving my truck the 580 miles to port canaveral if i use your is 30k miles a reason to be worried. My truck has 170k on it and its a 2000 year model.

Guess i will give in to my wife and drive her 2005 freestyle with 74k on it.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You will be fine.
If you want to what if it you could
What if the plane has a flat tire?
What if the plane crashes?
What if somebody steals my car while its parked at the airport?
What if somebody breaks into my car at the motel? (Happened to my daughter)
etc. etc. etc.

you will be fine with the drive. You have allowed pleanty of time. If you get tired stop. If you get sleepy stop for a break or a nap. Switch drivers if both will drive on interstate. (My wife will not drive out of town or on an interstate). Go and enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived