Aurora Borealis

I've enjoyed reading this thread about the Aurora Borealis and star gaizing. We love looking at the night sky from the ship's deck. But unfortunately the deck has always been brightly lit and the viewing difficult. Who knew you could make a request to turn off the lights? We'll be right there with you, Mdod, if you get the lights shut off even for a few minutes.

...does not happen...thats why people live there....I am in Edmonton...used to see them all the time when I worked shift work...I live on the edge of the city so drove home late at night I would do the back roads and they would stretch across the sky....don't work late anymore and they put halogens on the ring road so not sure if you can still see them...will have to make the effort to check this winter....did not take any pictures that worked when i was in yellowknife...35 mm camera and the shutter froze

Putterdude! Too many city lights now in Vancouver. City is way too big. I've been trying to think where the furthest south I've ever seen the Northern Lights. On a flight out of Anchorage they lasted past Prince Rupert.

I'd see them all the time when I lived in Alberta, west of Red Deer, so not particularly north. The farthest south I've seen them is two summers ago near Agassiz, BC., which is about 5 miles north of the US/Canada border, only 80 miles or so from Vancouver. People were pulling over to the side of the highway.

Viv

Archived