Just off the Freedom----AWESOME

dp81796

My family just got off the Freedom yesterday on an 8 day cruise to Cozumel, Costa Rica and Panama. This was our 6th cruise and our second on Carnival. We had an amazing time. The ship is beautiful and has so much to offer. If you have any questions, I would love to answer them. I will be posting pictures and a review soon. I just need to book my next cruise to help with the withdrawl. :) Danielle

My family just got off the Freedom yesterday on an 8 day cruise to Cozumel, Costa Rica and Panama. This was our 6th cruise and our second on Carnival. We had an amazing time. The ship is beautiful and has so much to offer. If you have any questions, I would love to answer them. I will be posting pictures and a review soon. I just need to book my next cruise to help with the withdrawl. :) Danielle

Glad you had a great time!! I did the same route aboard The Carnival Liberty last year!! It was so much fun!

Can't wait to read your review and look at your pics! :D

In the meantime...what did you do in the ports?

Can't wait for your review. Doing the same ports on the Freedom in 19 days can't wait . Let us know how the ports were and what you did there. Doing the Panama city tour and in Costa Rica the tram thru the rainforest. Was a little scared going out on my own so we went thru CCL. Didn't want to be left behind. Want to try the wine tasting, tea time and other activies having so many sea days. Not used to having so many. The feet are up and waiting. Thanks :)

I am probably not the best one to ask as far as excursions. I have a 6 year old and 2 year old so it limited to what would work best. In Cozumel we went to the Wyndham Resort to use their pool, and beach. It included unlimited drinks, lunch and use of non-motorized activities. I thought it was perfect for the day--however would not want to stay there for just a vacation. Beach was very rocky. In Costa Rica, we stayed on the boat. We went back and forth about booking the bus, train, boat excursion but decided not to. They also did warn in our Capers that previous guests had incidents (robbed) while there. So I would only do an excursion through them. My husband and father did go off and they went to a few stores but there was nothing. Very run down. As far as panama, we went shopping right in port. Nothing major but some good deals. We were told that the pacific side of these countries is much nicer. Friends we met on the ship enjoyed the white water rafting in Costa Rica as well as the zip line through the rain forest. Sorry I could not give you more information.

The only excursion I heard negative conversations about or a sense of disappointment was the sanctuary in Costa Rica otherwise everyone we talked to seemed very happy with their excursions. You will love the days at sea. It allows you to do a lot but you do not have to cram everything in. You will really love the cruise, the boat---EVERYTHING!! If I could only go back.

My son and DIL were on this cruise. It was their first on Carnival and they had a great time and said the weather was perfect. I can't wait to see your photos because they didn't take many. We did the Med last October on the Freedom.

We are on the 26th Sept. What did u do about shore excursions?

Any tips regards the dining room?? plz, :)

...waiting impatiently for a review.... :p

We have 46 days to wait before it's our turn for this trip. When you say people were disappointed with the sanctuary tour, do you mean the sloth sanctuary in Costa Rica? I was really hoping to do that one, since I've never seen a sloth in person, outside of a cage at the zoo. Hoping for more details!

Chacha813 and davenew, hope you both plan on writing reviews when you get back. Makes my wait so much easier to read about other people's experiences!

Does Freedom still have a Mongolian buffet bar/option?

I've heard talk about transforming that to Mexican..and on current deck plans it shows "mexican" bar/buffet.

I'll jump in here and answer. :)

There is a Mexican "window" that is totally separate from the rest of the buffet area...good food and there never seemed to be any lines.

The Mongolian buffet is actually part of the regular buffet line (in the center). It is the same area where they do the omelets at breakfast. You choose which meat, vegetables and sauce you want and then the chef cooks everything in a wok while you wait. The line here tends to back up a LOT...my DH waited over a half an hour on a couple of days (but he said it was worth it! :)) My suggestion...go the very first day you board...not too many people had discovered the Mongolian line at that point and it didn't take too long.

Is there a hot tub in the spa? We really enjoyed the spa tub on the Spirit and were disappointed to see it was removed when we sailed the Liberty.

I have wondered this as well. It is shown on the Freedom's deck plan, however I have heard elsewhere on these boards that it is not there.

Did you get to meet my friend Ralph Valente... the cruise director?

He's a great guy and wonderfully funny!!

:)

We just returned as well from this 8 day cruise as well. Wee Jimmy the CD made this cruise fun....There is a whirlpool in the gym......Mexican Buffet has its seperate little window.

Ports were interesting. In Panama we took the train over to Panama City. This is the best way to see the canal.

Costa Rica we did the train, boat, bus....It was just OK. Limon they told us was not as pretty as the western side of Costa Rica.

Cozumel we rented our own car from Avis and toured the island. Cozumel by far was the best place to shop on this trip.

The best place to shop for coffee was in Costa Rica. Very good prices. No need to veture outside the port area. May be a bit unsettling. Stay with the ship excursions.

We sailed on this same ship in 12/2008 on the 8 day eastern route. Carnival had changed their menu and we thought the food in the dining room was far better this time around.

Shows are very good as well. Live music on this ship is great and can be heard all through out the day.

The 4 sea days are wonderful. You won't be disappointed.

We just returned as well from this 8 day cruise as well. Wee Jimmy the CD made this cruise fun....There is a whirlpool in the gym......Mexican Buffet has its seperate little window.

Ports were interesting. In Panama we took the train over to Panama City. This is the best way to see the canal.

Costa Rica we did the train, boat, bus....It was just OK. Limon they told us was not as pretty as the western side of Costa Rica.

Cozumel we rented our own car from Avis and toured the island. Cozumel by far was the best place to shop on this trip.

The best place to shop for coffee was in Costa Rica. Very good prices. No need to veture outside the port area. May be a bit unsettling. Stay with the ship excursions.

We sailed on this same ship in 12/2008 on the 8 day eastern route. Carnival had changed their menu and we thought the food in the dining room was far better this time around.

Shows are very good as well. Live music on this ship is great and can be heard all through out the day.

The 4 sea days are wonderful. You won't be disappointed.

Thanks for the info!

I also just got off of this trip and since I won't be writing a formal review thought I would just add some info here (hope you don't mind OP!)

Background, my husband is 26, I'm 23, and we have no children.

In Cozumel we went to Nachi Cocum. $49 each for unlimited alcohol and a 3 course meal. Very secluded beach, beautiful! A little snorkeling can be done off the beach, nothing great. Food was great, waiters were quick, my husband always had a fresh Corona waiting 1/2 way through the first one. If a drink started to get warm, a new cold one was waiting.

Costa Rica we went with Okey Dokey tours and had a great time. We did so much! I believe it was $59 each and we got to drive through much of the town which was very interesting to see. We went to a farm and got to eat fresh local fruit. We went on a canal tour, banana plantation, went to the highest point in the city--great view! We went to a beach where our lunch was included, and very tasty. Our guide was awesome. We also stopped at a grocery store to buy coffee and other items.

In Panama we went with my friend Mario to the Gatun Locks and Embera Indian Village. This was absolutely amazing! I loved seeing the village and hearing how the people went about life. It was amazing to learn how they make their crafts completely from nature and then buy the crafts straight from the people who made them. These are real works of art that take days/weeks, sometimes months to finish for very cheap prices. As our guide says, they don't have TV to keep themselves occupied! It was a really neat culture experience. We paid $80 each for this I believe.

Every excursion we ended up doing was absolutely wonderful, we loved it all! And all were done for much cheaper than Carnival and I spent over 4 straight months of researching what to do, every single day. I really feel my efforts were well spent.

Our severs Alex and Made were the BEST, so funny and we loved their singing and dance moves. Alex even sang through the microphone during dinner twice! They have the best personalities ever and we really enjoyed them. We also loved our bar server Daniel who we spent quite a bit of time talking to.

Wee Jimmy was a fantastic cruise director. He was very funny and I loved how he was always in a kilt! There was an "action comedian" one night, I think his name might have been Michael James and he was awesome! My husband was passed out after our time in Cozumel so I skipped dinner and went to the early show of this. It was so much fun that I went to the late showing too! Also Percy Cruse 2 was another comedian we had and he was wet your pants hysterical. Of course there was no wetting of the pants, but I wouldn't be surprised if some did! The R rated show was very X rated but wicked funny. The only downside was a lady sat down next to us, spilled my drink in my lap, and got mad at me for it! It was there on the table before you sat down, that's not my fault!

How were the formal nights? How were they dressed? Leaving in 15 days and DH wants to take the tux but heard that "formal" isn't that formal anymore. Anyone try the wine tasting? Also heard about a martini tasting don't know if it was on the Freedom.

How were the formal nights? How were they dressed? Leaving in 15 days and DH wants to take the tux but heard that "formal" isn't that formal anymore.

And for the first time we are considering not taking formal along...so we would like to know how formal it is as well.

Thanks!!

Archived