?? LA residents/or those more knowledgeable than I

Ilovecruisin

We are arriving LAX the day before departing on the NCL Star. We are staying at the Doubletree in San Pedro. My question ... how difficult would it be to travel to Philippe The Original using public transportation? I have read previous posts where its sometimes not suggested. But... it looks like one (LONG) bus ride and some walking would bring us to their door. Any comments?? Thanks in advance for your kind suggestions!

Chris

Chris,

When I was a kid my Dad would take us to Phillipe's. It was his favorite French Dip place, and French Dip sandwiches were his favorite sandwiches. Nothing else compared in his book.:)

Now that he's not around anymore, I wish I was close enough to go have one whenever I wanted.

So yeah - I'd take that bus if that's what I had to do, because those sandwiches are so totally worth it - but there has to be an easier way......

How are you getting to San Pedro? I would think about doing the reverse to get back to LAX and then take Zephyr's suggestion of the Flyaway.

But time-wise, the bus is probably faster. If you are getting a car, that would be a good way also.

Hopefully Curt Jerome Wild or Bruin Steve will see this - they would definitely have the best answer.

I hope you make it and enjoy your sandwich!!!:)

I don't think I'd want to take public transportation from San Pedro, but since you're flying in a day early why not just rent a car for a day? A one day rental is pretty cheap and a whole lot more convenient!

And thanks for bringing up Philippe's, now I'm going to be craving a couple of French Dips all night long! :D

Your best bet would be to grab a taxi or bus from your hotel to downtown Long Beach (about 7 miles) and catch the blue line rail from there to the 7th street / Metro Center, and then jump onto the Red Line subway for the trip to Union Station. Walk out of Union Station onto Alameda Street, turn to your right and Philipes will be on your left about two blocks up the street. Easy walk.

Once you get to the Blue Line, the trip to LA is just over an hour, and $2.50 each / one way.

Check http://www.metro.net for more info.

Here's a map:

http://www.metro.net/projects_studies/harbor_subdivision/images/Regional%20Service%20-%20Union%20Station%20to%20San%20Pedro%20or%20Long%20Beach.pdf

First, for any visitor here who doesn't know, Philippe's is an LA institution...

Over 100 years old now (and eternity in SoCal terms), it is where the "French Dip" Sandwich was invented...

http://www.philippes.com/

It is really sort of a "hole in the wall", sawdust on the floors, service at the counter, eat on stools and benches sort of place...You've got to wait on line, move fast and know what you want...

It is really a great choice if you happen to be at Union Station (The main Los Angeles Downtown train station) for any reason, as it is almost directly across Alameda Street from the front doors of Union Station.

And, as many have pointed out, there are direct options from San Pedro (and lots of other places) to Union Station...

BUT, you really must have some special reason to want that sandwich...because, from San Pedro, you are dedicating a fairly sizable portion of your day to getting to and from lunch...

If you were renting a car and touring LA and part of your planned itinerary had you visiting the Dowwntown area (Olvera Street, the Bradbury Building, Chinatown, etc.), I'd say, plan Philippe's as your lunch stop...

But, if you're just hanging out in San Pedro and want a more relaxing day, then think twice about it...Remember LA is a VERY BIG city...and far more spread out than most Eastern large cities...The distances are very long. There are some very good places to eat near your hotel...No, they don't have the history of Philippe's, but you can get a great lunch...and save a few hours...

First, for any visitor here who doesn't know, Philippe's is an LA institution...

Over 100 years old now (and eternity in SoCal terms), it is where the "French Dip" Sandwich was invented...

http://www.philippes.com/

It is really sort of a "hole in the wall", sawdust on the floors, service at the counter, eat on stools and benches sort of place...You've got to wait on line, move fast and know what you want...

It is really a great choice if you happen to be at Union Station (The main Los Angeles Downtown train station) for any reason, as it is almost directly across Alameda Street from the front doors of Union Station.

And, as many have pointed out, there are direct options from San Pedro (and lots of other places) to Union Station...

BUT, you really must have some special reason to want that sandwich...because, from San Pedro, you are dedicating a fairly sizable portion of your day to getting to and from lunch...

If you were renting a car and touring LA and part of your planned itinerary had you visiting the Dowwntown area (Olvera Street, the Bradbury Building, Chinatown, etc.), I'd say, plan Philippe's as your lunch stop...

But, if you're just hanging out in San Pedro and want a more relaxing day, then think twice about it...Remember LA is a VERY BIG city...and far more spread out than most Eastern large cities...The distances are very long. There are some very good places to eat near your hotel...No, they don't have the history of Philippe's, but you can get a great lunch...and save a few hours...

Is the Bradbury still allowing tours? I thought they stopped it?

Across from Olvera Street (south) is the first Fire Station of LA and to the west is the Mission Church.

Don't forget to check out the Terminal Building itself. There are courtyards on either side and the ticketing area is now an event area.

Hey All!

Thanks for your comments/suggestions. Sounds like its possible to get to Philippes by taking public transportation. I just didnt want the hassle of one way rental and return to the pier. Enterprise wants to charge $80 for the one way return.

Chris

Archived