Towel Animals - such a waste!!!

Cruiser9-20-08

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, yes. I love the towel animals as well. The elephants, the lobsters, the monkeys, the swans, etc. I keep them all till the end of the cruise, then I place them on the bed and the couch and take photos of them. I also tip the cabin attendant extra for taking the time to make them.

I always tell the cabin steward I want lots of ice and to please not bother with towel animals. I also always tip $50/week cash over and above whatever they get on the automatic tipping. Anyway Lily enjoys a towel animal regardless of what I say and do.

This is on Serenade of the Seas last January 2009.

CIMG0138.JPG

First post here, and can't imagine a more fitting "introduction"!!

I can't imagine a cruise without my towel animals!! I keep them all until the last day, then take a picture of all of them together--it's one of my rituals of my cruise. I'm not a person who likes having pictures of herself taken, but can't imagine not getting a pic of all the towel animals together!!

I have my favorites, too-- I miss my dogs at home, so I always ask for a dog.. but the other nights?? Whatever my room steward wants to make for me is good, and I appreciate ALL of them!!

One cruise, I told my steward how much I LOVED the animals, and he made one for each one of us in the room all the nights we were on the ship- yes, we had a zoo!! And I wouldn't have it any other way. I never use the towels, and if my steward just moves them to other rooms after I leave the ship, all the better..

I object to the suggestion that Old Fogies don't like towel animals. OFs appreciate the little things in life that add to its pleasure and enjoyment. It is the younger politically correct generation that worries themselves overly about things like folded towels. And I would think that cabin stewards might actually enjoy making the animals- they like to make people smile and like to give people pleasure too.

• 2 weeks later...

I just think that this whole thread is too funny. The whole concept of a cruise is all about over-indulgence and then pick out "towel animals" as the waste of money. Way to funny!!!! Why not complain about cloth napkins when they could use bio-degradable paper ones? No complaints about the use of plastict cups instead of paper ones. What about the serving staff in the dinning rooms who walk around with towels draped over thier arms? What about all of the fuel used to go from port to port? Think of how the enviroment could be helped by just hanging out on an anchored or docked ship? And someone is concerned about "towel animals"--way too funny. If someone is that uptight I would suggest that they sit at home and watch and Al Gore film festival.

I bought a how to make towel animals book and have taken it with me on business trips and on the last night of my trip made something simple and left it for the maid of whatever hotel I was in to find the next morning after I checked out.

Wonder how funny it would be if one night on the cruise you turned down your own bed and left a towel animal on it. Have the steward confused that they were already there?

Towel animals make me smile and makes me feel special that someone took the time to make one for me. Long live the towel animals!!!:D

On our first cruise, our room steward Natalya was so great to us that I left her a towel animal wearing a cowboy hat and sunglasses holding a little something extra! She cried because no one had ever made her one before.

About the towel animals, despite my then 15 yo son not being thrilled with the towel animals on his bed this story he still talks about

He would go back to the room directly after his dinner- no desert to hang out at the teen club, leaving long before us and returning late into the night. The outfit he wore to dinner was discarded on his bed. He did not want to bring a suit so he wore his school uniform as his "formal" dinnner attire...

We all returned later that night to find not only a towel animal, BUT what seemd to be 15yo in his clothes on the bed!~ What it was , was his uniform stuffed with towels proped up in the bed, complete with blazer and sunglasses!

Wonderful! We saw more of His "double" then of him on the cruise(not a bad thing, as 15yo's go)!

Towel animals are so cute but I don't unfold them and use them.

So, I imagine, most towel animals end up back in the laundry using soap, water and man power just so we can be amused when we return to our cabins.

I request that our cabin steward, please, not give us towel animals.

Am I being an old fogie or do you think it's an ecological good idea?

I know some cruisers tip extra to their cabin attendant for their extra effort but just give a reasonable tip instead!!!

Rick

if you're concerned about being 'eco' friendly then just use the dang towels...why would you not 'use them'? If you want to 'save them' Take a picture of them, so you can look back fondly at the smile you had and remember the time it took the steward to make them for you...it's a 'gift' after all, use it.

we came in one night to find a 'turkey'??? which if i could find my pic of it somewhere in my computer and post it here you would understand why we were taken aback for a minute... until my 14 year old son placed his sunglasses on it...it appeared to be some symbolism of male anatomy???

My husband was initially offended until he realized what it was supposed to be...we still laugh about it...It's one of my favorite cruise memories!!

I LOVE the towel critters!!!

Archived