Aos

GMC

I am considering a cruise on AOS in May 2005. Most everything I read on this site is really negative about this sailing. Is booking this cruise/port of departure a mistake? I have cruised RCI three times as recently as 12/11/04 on the Splendour. ALL have been wonderful!! However, I am concerned about this cruise.

Thanks for any info.

The ship is great, the itin (aruba/curacao etc) was great.....wasn't impressed wtih san juan. I would fly in the day before and leave the day after because the airport can be a mess.......you can read my review......as has been said some people like it and have no problems with locals aboard, some did........

we loved the cruise itself and even though i'd never cruise out of SJ again (well, like 99% never) we really had a good time...feel free to email me if you'd like.....my email is in my profile...if you can't get it, let me know.

We are doing this cruise in May 2005. I am also concerned from what I have read on the boards.Since I chose AOS for a family cruise.

We sailed on AOS in February 2003 and had a wonderful time The airport is crowded but we didn't have any problems with our flights or luggage. We did use RCL air since we were flying out of the northeast in the winter.

The ship is wonderful and so are the ports. So don't miss this cruise because of what you have read.

GO on the AOS!! Don't let the neg. threads deter you from having a great time on a great ship with a great itin. About the locals, being puerto rican myself, some can be loud and some rude but all nationalities have their share. ENJOY THE AOS!!!

We were on AOS 7/04 and loved it so much we are doing a back to back this July! We did not experience any of the incidents that have been posted. AOS is indeed a beautiful ship, in great condition and the staff was wonderful.

We went on AOS 4/2004...we did experience all the issues with customs and the airport everyone complained about...BUT we are doing it again in 2006. There are some things you can do which we did to make it bearable...now mind you we have 5 kids....first I have ziplocs packed with snacks and drink boxes in the kids backpacks...that helped in the awful lines at customs..(think hot sweaty and miserable and over an hour wait)......at the airport one person got the food and we went to the gate area (think cattle herding)....found a small piece of floor....plopped down (yes we were in the way) and played cards for 2 hours.....I absolutely think San Juan has to come up with some solutions...but the cruise itself was spectacular....so I am not letting the yucky stuff getting home get in the way. If we could wait a day to fly home I would do it...we can't (husband a teacher).

We cruised the AOS 2 years ago. We are going back again this year with my parents. The customs issue is true. It took us 2 hours to go through customs but the customs agents were extremely nice. The airport was really crowded and we had to sit on the floor until our flight left. We live is Atlanta and I guess we are spoiled with the amount of seating at the gates.

We did not have a problem with any of the people on the ship. The crew was as nice as they could be. We have never gone to the same vacation destination twice or on the same cruise ship twice and we cruise at least twice a year and we are going back on the AOS. We are not going back on this ship because of the islands because they pretty much all look the same to me, so that tells you something about the ship.

We are flying in the day before but are leaving the day the cruise comes back into port. It is really expensive to eat at the hotels. We had 6 burgers and 6 cokes and it cost of 85.00.

Everyone can find something to complain about if they really want to. The way I look at it is how can it be bad someone cooks 3 meals a day for you, makes your bed, picks up after you and waits on you hand and foot. Stop complaining you could be a home washing clothes and mowing the grass.

I'd do this sailing. You visit some great islands and AOS is a beautiful ship. San Juan has some logistics issues but as Meg said, consider getting down there the day before and leaving the day after. The airports are a mess on embarkation and debarkation days and the lines tend to be loooooooong in customs, etc.

Once you get on the ship though, you'll have a great time. All the Netherlands Antilles islands rock. Enjoy!

Cheers,

Esther

We will be arriving at 3:00PM the day of embarkation and returning at 3:00PM the day of debarkation. Does this sound OK to all of you that have some experience with AOS/San Juan airport?

Thanks for all of the encouagement!!!

Happy New Year =)

I was on AOS in 7/04 and loved it. There are always a few things which I think could be better about any trip but nothing enough to ruin it in any way. We had a great time. We did arrive a day early to San Juan which was a pleasure but departed the same day. The airport was a bit crazy but we managed ok. The one thing I wouldn't do again is to buy the transfers from Royal Caribbean in San Juan. We were off the ship in plenty of time to get a taxi to the airport which would have been MUCH faster than waiting for a bus to fill up outside the terminal and then waiting for the luggage truck to be filled also so that we could go at the same time. This delayed us greatly and caused us to be a bit stressed at the airport. In the end it all worked out.

Your 3pm departure will work out fine - even give you a bit of extra time for Old San Juan.

However, I would recommend arriving in San Juan a day before you board. There are too many variables unless you happen to be on a non-stop. Weather can really mess up the airlines. You have to be on board around 8:30 PM. I've never been willing to run the risk of showing up late.

Archived