New to Celebrity. Have ????

sdgary

This will be my first Celebrity cruise and we are not sure what to expect.

How formal is Celebrity? We have suits, but no tuxedos. Is that OK?

What is the age of people that sail on Celebrity? I am 26 and am worried that they may cater an older crowd and that there won't be many activities planned for us.

We have a lot of sea days. My friend is really concerned about that. What is there to do with that many days at sea?

Are there any "must do's" while onboard ship?

What else can we expect onboard?

Hi there!

Suits are fine. I'd say this last cruise (Dec 11 day) was 50/50.

When are you going and for how long? If you're going when kids are in school and on a longer sailing (longer than 7 days) you will have an older crowd. We didn't have that many younger couples on our cruise. However, IF we had wanted to socialize with them, I'm sure we could have still found some to chat up. We tend to keep to ourselves and be very lazy.

What sort of activities are you looking for?

Here's a sampling of what was offered our last sea day on this one.....(just going down the daily 'Celebrity Today' list from Dec 16)

walk a thon

sit and be fit

computer class - adobe photoshop

cruise sales mgr

library

ping poing tourney

morning trivia

paddle tennis

shuffleboard

"cheers" trivia

Celebrity Discoveries Series

Davanti Custom Clothing

Golf Simulator

Bridge Lecture (on bridge playing...)

Dart Play

"friends" trivia

Volleyball tournament

Catch Phrase Level 2

Pool games

Backgammon Players

Scrabble

Bright Eyes Seminar (spa)

1500 Snowball Jackpot Bingo

"50's Rock n Roll" Name that Tune

Soccer

Paddle Tennis Court

Computer Class - images

Art auction

Talent show sign up

band plays poolside 1:30 -2:15

Recap Dance Class

DIY mini facial demonstration (spa)

Bridge tournament

Fun in the sun (poolside)

Battle of the Sexes Trivia Challenge

Movie - somthing's gotta give

Chess

Talent SHow

Basketball Free Throw and game

And that's just from morning until 4 pm.

I really think there's as much as you want to do or as little depending on what you want. The crowd is definitely older though than any of the other lines I've been on (Princess, RCCL and DCL).

Must Do... enjoy yourselves

Suits are fine

Age mostly 40 to 60.. well behaved adults

Many activities to keep you busy depending on the ship

Welcome to the Celebrity board and also HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!:D

You are in for a real treat on a Celebrity ship.

Yes, it is fairly formal. You will need a tux or dark suit for formal nights and a sport jacket for informal evenings (ties optional). Casual nights are for dockers, polo shirts etc. Never any shorts or jeans in the dining room after 6pm.

Yes, you will be on the lower end of the age range depending on the time of year you intend to sail and the length of the sail. I was just on a 14 day cruise in Nov. and only 7 kids were on board with an average age of probably 55.

There will probably be plenty for you to do on sea days. Generally 65-75 scheduled activities. If you like to sunbathe, you won't be able to make it to most of the daytime activities (except those by the pool).

The "must does" on the ship: get involved if you want to meet other people.

Be open to new foods and maybe new some cultures.

Be considerate of others: (1)don't take more pool chairs than you really need

(2) don't smoke except where it is posted

(3) keep the suggested evening dress after 6pm in public rooms

(4) report to immigration at your appointed time (nothing worse than 1 or 2

pax holding up everyone else's plans

(5) enjoy yourself--do enough to keep busy, but relax enough so you go home rested.

I'm sure the others on this forum will also add some great advise.

What ship and when are you sailing? This can also help us to inform you.

Happy New Year and enjoy your cruise!! Deb C.

Happy New Year to you also!

I made a suggestion for you on another post. I'm sure you'll run onto it!:rolleyes:

I still love the Zenith, and I'm sure you still will in 30 days. I hate to see her leaving JAX.

sdgary.....

Suits are fine for the formal nights.....a darker color is probably the best color, though....

Many will wear a tuxedo...which you can very easily rent.

Semi-formal nights: A suit or ...jacket w/tie is in order. This is one area where Celebrity is very different from the other lines I have sailed. This is not a casual night by any means.

Casual: Nice pants...and a nice shirt. Khaki's and a button down, for example.

There will be a library on board. Or...bring your own book.

Sea days are great....and I always feel that there is not enough of them. These are the days (IMHO) that I think are the most relaxing.

You will be assigned a table in the dining room for dinner meals. However, do visit the dining room during lunch and breakfast....they will seat you with different people each time....and it is a really nice way to get to meet lots of people!

Celebrity is a great line. You will enjoy it. ;)

sdgary ~

You will be absolutely fine with suits on formal nights. You'll see a mix of tuxes and suits so don't worry. You will fit right in.

We have sailed Celebrity, Princess, Royal Caribbean and Norwegian over the years. I don't find Celebrity to necessarily have an older average age than the other lines. You will find the average age higher on sailings longer than 7 days. But regardless of the length of your cruise, you will find others in your age range. Keep in mind that many of the crew members (bartenders, cruise staff, wait staff) are in your age range. Some of best memories of our cruises have been getting to know the crew. I recall one 10-day cruise on Princess when our daughter was ten (she's now 18) and we were by far the youngest couple and she was the ONLY child on board. However, we got to know so many of the crew (including the captain) because we were younger. Our daughter also had the kids staff person all to herself. She got to do tons of things kids normally couldn't do because she was the only one on board. So don't let age scare you. Besides, some of the BEST cruisers we met have been passengers far older than we are.

I personally love sea days. In fact they always go too fast and there never seems to be enough of them for me. If you are on an M-class ship (Millennium, Summit, Infinity, Constellation) we love the outdoor dining area at the back of the ship on deck 10 (I think it's deck ten) off of the Waterfall Cafe on Summit/Ocean Grille on Millennium (don't know the names of the buffet areas on the other two ships). Start your day there. There's an omelet/eggs station back here (it's a pasta station at lunch) where they make things cooked to order for you. It is seldom crowded out here in the morning and it's a great place to eat and watch the ocean go by.

There are all different kinds of activities throughout the day (a previous poster gave you a great list). You can always find something to do. I think you'll find there isn't enough time to do everything you'd like. And don't forget -- you're on a cruise -- take some time to relax.

Hope you and your friend feel more comfortable after reading everyone's responses here. By the way, be sure to look for a roll call for your sailing. here's a link to the Celebrity Roll Calls page http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=206. Most sailing list the ship followed by the sail date. It's a great way to get to know others who are sailing with you. And be sure to sign up for the Cruise Critic party (Celebrity will host a party for Cruise Critic members if 25 people sign up so do that today). Here's a link to the page that gives you all the party details http://www.cruisecritic.com/community/connections.cfm (you'll find a link to sign up for the party on this page under "getting started."

If you need help with anything, please let us know.

Most of all - have a wonderful cruise!

Gary,

You will be just fine with a suit OR tux for formal nights...

There are also "informal nights" bring a casual sports coat and just throw it on over the dockers and sports shirt you would otherwise wear on casual nights...I usually bring a green/brown tweed and throw it on with my khakis...

As to the demographics, don't worry...

There will be 2000 passengers on the Infinity and they will span all age groups...Yeah, more may be a little older than you, but that's not too bad...and with 2000 people, there will still be a decent sampling of younger folks...You won't be on a ship full of octogenarians (like we found ourselves on Princess in the Baltic in 2001)...

And there's plenty of stuff to do...including eating and relaxing...

Have fun...

As Bruin Steve said, there is nothing "formal" or dressy about informal night. There is no need to wear a tie. Very few do, especially by the second informal night. Most men wore exactly what they wore on casual night, but put a blazer or sport jacket over it all. Half or more of men wore suits--not tuxes--on formal nights, and some wore dark blazers over dress slacks with a tie. If YOU want to wear a tux, then do so. But don't worry about having to do it for the sake of others.

And don't buy into all the talk here about Celebrity being more "formal" or "sophisticated" or "refined" than other cruise lines. You'll find the same nice cross-section of Americans with a sprinkling of Canadians, Brits, etc., mixed in as you'd find on other cruise lines. Be yourselves and you'll have a great time.

As Bruin Steve said, there is nothing "formal" or dressy about informal night.

I disagree with this statement. Yes, it is your opinion...and you are certainly allowed to voice that here. :D

See, we can be nice when we disagree.

I am flashing back a moment to my very first cruise on the Celebrity Century. It is the first "informal night". I have packed a suit for my DH to wear....as I have done my research...and a suit would be appropriate.

When my husband finally realizes that he is going to be wearing a suit to dinner, he begins to get a little worried. He really does not think others will be wearing a suit. I promise him that others will be wearing either a suit...or a jacket w/tie.

He tells me....before we leave the cabin....that...if....when he steps off the elevator....he does not see other suits...he's heading back to the cabin to change.

I say, "OK, honey".

Well, the elevator door opens....and all we see is suits...suits...suits...and a few jackets!!!

I gave my husband that little look. You know the look. ....and we proceed to have a lovely evening!

I have sailed on Celebrity, Carnival and Princess....and I have observed that the passengers on Celebrity tend to dress for dinner....as the Celebrity guidelines recommend.

About the tie issue with a jacket. A tie is very nice. But, with today's styling.....some jacket outfits look really, really nice without that tie. A kind of a contemporary look...... ;)

there is nothing "formal" or dressy about informal night. There is no need to wear a tie. Very few do, especially by the second informal night. Most men wore exactly what they wore on casual night, but put a blazer or sport jacket over it all.

I have a question....

On our first and only cruise (Zenith to Bermuda last summer) on the informal nights, my husband and son (age 20) both wore nice slacks with a black shirt and sports coat. The shirts were tee shirt like, that is, short sleeves and round neck, but very nice material, not REALLY tee shirts. I thought they both looked very handsome. Seeing as some in the dining room on informal nights were wearing loud floral hawaiian type shirts and dockers, I thought my guys were dressed very appropriately.

But I would like another opinion, as we're starting to plan the packing list for our 2nd cruise in April. What is your opinion on this outfit?

Ruth ~

What your guys wore....is exactly the style I was trying to describe in my post above. It is a very nice look.

It is very appropriate for the informal night.

The other outfit.....sounds like it belongs at the "Casual" dinner.

I have a question....

On our first and only cruise (Zenith to Bermuda last summer) on the informal nights, my husband and son (age 20) both wore nice slacks with a black shirt and sports coat. The shirts were tee shirt like, that is, short sleeves and round neck, but very nice material, not REALLY tee shirts. I thought they both looked very handsome. Seeing as some in the dining room on informal nights were wearing loud floral hawaiian type shirts and dockers, I thought my guys were dressed very appropriately.

But I would like another opinion, as we're starting to plan the packing list for our 2nd cruise in April. What is your opinion on this outfit?

That outfit will be just fine.

And, Boo's Mom, I can't recall seeing one suit on informal night during our Galaxy cruise in November, and ties were in a definite minority. This being our first Celebrity cruise--and having read too much of what some of the fanatics here like to write--we asked the woman at the Captain's Club desk if men should wear ties on informal nights. She replied that there was no need to do so, and that in fact few would be wearing them. She was right. Khakis, Dockers--or whatever you like to call them--and a sports jacket were the norm. And many men--much more than a few--were not wearing jackets.

Trust me: This is not Le Cirque, Lutece, The Four Seasons, or Taillevent. You are not going to be seated among prominent world statesmen, renowned authors, famous entertainers, the New York 400, or the Monte Carlo jet-set. Neither Pavarotti nor Domingo nor Fleming nor Ma nor Eschenbach will be opening your cruise in the Celebrity Theater. This is not the Met, the Concertgebouw, or the Vienna State Opera. Really.

Ruth ~

What your guys wore....is exactly the style I was trying to describe in my post above. It is a very nice look.

It is very appropriate for the informal night.

The other outfit.....sounds like it belongs at the "Casual" dinner.

Thanks Mom. I thought it was appropriate' date=' but it's always nice to get another opinion![/color']

Our Zenith cruise was local, we took a van to the pier, but for the Century we have to fly. I'm looking for ways to keep the suitcases manageable. The "tee" shirts will help a lot, as they could be worn with the sportscoat and again with dockers on the casual nights. We're probably going to rent Hubby's tux too, again to save space (plus, I think he'll look really HOT in a tux! :D )

Thanks again!

It is the first "informal night". I have packed a suit for my DH to wear....as I have done my research...and a suit would be appropriate.....and all we see is suits...suits...suits...and a few jackets!!!

No way...

This has absolutely NOT been my experience on Celebrity...perhaps we are sailing on parallel universe cruise lines...About the only suits I've seen on informal nights of late are on guys who neglected to pack a sports coat and are wearing the same suit they wear on formal night...

I've worn dockers, a tweed coat, a sports shirt and a tie and have felt conspicuous about wearing the tie when every other guy at my table is wearing a dark colored T-Shirt and sports coat with no tie...

An elegant look? Perhaps, but definitely not the old idea of formal or anywhere close to it...

What I was trying to get across here is that it's easy to pack for...Just find a sports coat or blazer that matches your otherwise casual wear...

But, DO NOT wear a suit to informal night...it's entirely uneccessary and, from my experience, you will stand out in your formality...

I've worn dockers, a tweed coat, a sports shirt and a tie and have felt conspicuous about wearing the tie when every other guy at my table is wearing a dark colored T-Shirt and sports coat with no tie...

An elegant look? Perhaps, but definitely not the old idea of formal or anywhere close to it...

But, DO NOT wear a suit to informal night...it's entirely uneccessary and, from my experience, you will stand out in your formality...

I'm no expert, Steve, only having taken one cruise, but I have to agree with the previous poster. Most of the men WHO DRESSED (because many didn't dress at ALL) were wearing sports coats with a tie on informal night. Seems it was either jacket and tie........or floral shirts and dockers (ie, casual night clothes).

Personally, I would err on the side over overdress rather than underdress. I pack a dress or skirt for dinner EVERY night (even casual evenings). You can never look out of place dressed classy.

From Celebrity's website regarding dress on Informal and Formal Night:

"On informal nights, ladies may wear an informal dress or pants and blouse, while gentlemen may wear a jacket and tie with slacks. Casual nights call for casual, comfortable wear, so women may opt for a pantsuit or sporty outfit while gentlemen may choose a sport shirt and slacks."

Celebrity doesn't mention a suit for informal evening and they don't even state that they'd like you to wear a jacket and tie. It says gentlemen "may wear" a jacket and tie.

There are many strong feelings about dress codes. I personally like it when everyone looks nice. But there are many looks today where gentlmen can look really nice on informal nights without a tie (although I LOVE ties on guys). I think the rounded collar shirts with a jacket are a great look on informal night.

My point, follow the guidelines and feel comfortable.

And don't forget to have a great cruise!

I'll reiterate for luckyroot's benefit: Ties were a rarity on informal nights on our November Galaxy cruise. And when I asked the Captain's Club coordinator about wearing a tie, she essentially told me not to bother--that ties were not worn on informal night. Nor, by the way, should I wear one for the "formal" tea.

Men will NOT feel "underdressed" on informal night if they are not wearing a tie. I wore one the first informal night, and felt like the lone ranger. Let's start giving Celebrity newbies accurate advice here.

I'll reiterate for luckyroot's benefit: Ties were a rarity on informal nights on our November Galaxy cruise. And when I asked the Captain's Club coordinator about wearing a tie, she essentially told me not to bother--that ties were not worn on informal night. Nor, by the way, should I wear one for the "formal" tea.

Men will NOT feel "underdressed" on informal night if they are not wearing a tie. I wore one the first informal night, and felt like the lone ranger. Let's start giving Celebrity newbies accurate advice here.

As I said, my husband will be wearing a collarless shirt with a sportscoat, because that works for him. However, based on MY experience, a man wearing a tie on informal night was not a "lone ranger" on the Zenith cruise we took this past summer. Guess it depends on the Ship, but there were plenty of men dressed very nicely on informal nights on our cruise and ties were not a rarity.

I think I have my packing list now sorted out. I am going to do a tux for the formal nights (onboard rental so that I don't have to pack one), sport coat and dress slacks with shirt and tie for a couple of the informal nights and probably a jacket, slacks, and polo shirt for the others, and just a pair of khakis with short sleeve shirt for the casual nights.

Also sounds like lots of activities throughout the ship, so we shouldn't have any problems finding something to do.

Thanks for the help. Gary

Archived