January 20th Oscar Brown

jande

Time to get organized!! Is anyone in need of two more people to fill their group with Oscar on January 20th. I know time is short but the holidays just finished so now I can think of the cruise!!

Thanks Jerry, I saw that other thread after I posted this one. That thread sounds a little scary. It is pretty neg. on Oscar. I have a bad back and as much as I want to do ziplining my DH thinks it would not be a good thing to do. Is it bad for the back? We had a ice storm yesterday and now I really don't know why we live in Mn.

Janice,

I have two herniated disks, but I think everyone has said that it is afe and I'm going to give it a try. Its probably more safe on the back than a night at Carlos and Charlies and I won't pass that up either.:D

That was the only negative thread I have seen about Oscar. Every other one has been quite glowing, so I'm going to stick it out. Hope to meet you on the tour and at the meet and mingle.

Jerry

PS It was 64 in NJ New Year's day. Great top down weather. It was 0 degrees last week. Can't figure the weather anymore.

I just thought I would post that I do have a bad back and I did the zipline in Feb of this year. You do have to sign a waiver that excludes them from liability if you hurt yourself. To give you an idea of what is like .... you step off a platform and traverse from one platform to the other by gravity. If you should brake to soon you would have to turn around and hand over hand yourself to the next platform. If you didn't have the strength to do that the guide would come out and get you. I won't ride on a roller coaster because of the jaring to the spine, but this tour doesn't do that. The only way I could explain it would be if you were ever on a platform as a kid and you did a rope swing and then let go into the water, except here you just swing from platform to platform by a cable. If you think this would be to much for you Oscar has other things for you to do while others are doing the zipline.

I'm booked with Oscar and would love to hear about your ziplining tour with Oscar.

What else do you get to see if you zipline? What will I miss on this tour if I do zipline?

Thanks

Judy

Judy,

I think I answered your questions about the zipline on another thread. If not pleasse ask again and I will try to answer any questions that you have.

Colleen

Yes you did Colleen, Thanks!

What I'm trying to figure out now is to zipline or just take the regular tour with my Mother. I really think I want to try ziplining! My Mother is not going to like the idea of doing something else without me. I do feel from all I read there will not be a problem with this, but I think you may know what I'm saying.

I was checking to see what I would miss on the tour if I zipline. What else did you get to see. I want to see and do it all!! LOL Wish we had more time in port!

Thanks for all the great info you have giving me so far!

Judy,

Our day was shortened as we were late getting to Pureto Limon because a tender was late getting back in Belize. I was very impressed with Oscar as he waited for us for over an hour and half when he had two people that had come off of the Brilliance that he could have taken and forgotten about us. I felt badly that the other couple had to waste that time because our ship was late.We still had an amazing day that was packed full.

Our first stop was on the way to Almonds and Corals where we ziplined. Oscar saw a family of monkeys in some of the trees so he pulled over so we could take pictures. He also pointed out a bee hive that was huge that was in the top of a tree. We were then back in the van and drove slowly to A & C's The roads aren't the best so you can't drive very fast. That was ok with us as we got to see the country side. You will go through alot of little resorts or towns along the way, get to see a black sand beach. I kind of wished we had gotten out to see the beach. We then ziplined left all of our stuff with Oscar. He walked up to the area that you start the zipline and told us that he would be waiting for us when we were done. True to his word he was there with his big smile and showed me tons of crabs that made their home along the walkway going back to A & C.

We were then off to a friends house where I got to hold a monkey, Rosita, and pet a sloth. Got some great pictures of both of them. We sampled fruit and ....... oh gosh I won't tell you everything as it will spoil it when Oscar is telling you about things.

Then we went to a working bananna plantation and walked through a part of it. Oscar explains the growing process from start to fininsh. Then we went over to the packing area and watched how the are culled and shipped.

Then we drove through parts of the city so we got a feel for some of the poor areas and richer ones. We went to Oscar's sisters home and had a tour of her home. Then off to a restaurant for the most breathe taking view. We didn't have time to eat as we had to get back to the ship.

Oscar had cold drinks in the van for us. Oscar has been hassled by some of the other tour guides and some others as he is gaining a reputation that he is a good guide and well worth the money he charges. I have only read of one tour that didn't seem to have a good time. Everyone has their own expectations of what is a good time and a bad time. I do know that he is staying busy and is trying to grow his business to include some of his relatives. The posts that I have read have been positive about bringing the others into help. I am sure that there will be some bumps in the road as he expands, but for $30 he sure works hard to show you his country at its best.

Please feel to ask any other questions. I will try to help out if I can.

Colleen Great!!! This is just the info I was looking for. I was afraid that if I did the ziplining I would miss the Sloths and the bananna plantation. Now after reading your review I see I will be able to see all that and zipline!

I'm already booked and just wanted to check what I would see and what I would miss. Now I'm just wondering what my Mother will see and do while I zipline. Sounds like we will both have a great day with Oscar.

Thanks for all the great info!!!!

Judy,

Please be sure to tell Oscar I said hi from Driftwoodgal (Colleen), and that I am glad that is doing so well. I forgot to tell you we also met one of his beautiful daughters. It would be great if you would post a review here on the boards when you return. It does help when people come back and post their views on how their tour went. If something is bothering you about your day please tell Oscar as he really is trying very hard to show you a wonderful day in his country. He can't fix something if he doesn't realize that there is a problem. I am excited for you as you will be talking about your day to your friends for months. Don't forget your camera!!!!

Colleen

Speaking of a camera, is it safe to bring my digital while ziplining? I always post a review of my cruise and a review of ech port in the port section.

I like to keep the port section active! It has helped me booked great tours in many of the ports we visited.

The only port I MIGHT do a ship tour this cruise is Belize. I already booked a private tour that sounds great in Colon, Panama too. I wanted to book Coral Breezes but they don't have a tour on the day we are in Brelize.

What other ports did you visit and what did you do?

Thanks

We sailed out of Galveston Texas. Our ports of call were Cozumel, Belize, Puerto Limon, Colon pier, Montego Bay and Grand Cayman. If you are going very far from the pier in Belize I would recommend that you stay with the ships tours. I would do the same in Panama. We did a Myan Ruin tour with RCI two years ago that was wonderful. I picked the wrong tour...... but it turned out to be the best tour per a fellow cruiser that was really into the Myan Ruins. The trip was incredible and so were the ruins.

Yes, you can take your digital camera but be sure that when you are ziplining that you either have it on a secure strap or in a fanny pack. If you dropped the camera and it made it through the fall, I am not sure it could be recovered because of the foilage. I am talking about really big Ivy. The little plant that we have at home........well lets just say all of the plants flourish.....that's why it is called a rain forest.

Janice,

I just got confirmation on our Jan 20 tour from Oscar.

"Hi,

Yes! I will be your tour guide for this day. The local time for desembarck is 8:00 Costa Eica time. So don't worry about the time, I will be there at 8:00 a.m

God bless you."

Looking forward to meeting you,

Jerry

Hi Jerry and Janice,

My husband Randy and I are booked with Oscar on the 20th, also. We are on the Coral Princess. I just read a post from llund who just got back and I am concerned because she said they did not have to time to stop and eat at the restaurant. I asked her if that meant they did not eat all day. We are looking forward to the zip-line tour. Guess we will see you guys on the dock if all works out well....

Blue eyes,

You know I really didn't think about it but we didn't eat lunch the day that we were with Oscar. We ate a large breakfast that morning and if I remember correctly we were at the restaurant around 3PM. If your group is concerned about eating you might order something from room service and take it with you, or there are lots of places that you could stop and eat something. I am sure that Oscar knows of a place that you could grab a snack. The restaurant that he takes you has an incredible view. We could have eaten there but were concerned about the time frame. We had to be back on the ship by 3PM. Oscar does have drinks for you in the van. Again you might want to pack a ziplock bag and just take a sandwich with you.

You will have a great day. I hope you guys post about your day in Costa Rica what ever you do.

Judy,

I would be interested about what your mom thinks of the village that Oscar takes you to. I am not sure if anyone has posted about what they do when the others are do the zipline. Your information would be helpful.

Colleen

My DH and I are booked with Oscar on the 20th at 8:00. I will not be doing the zip but DH will. We will leave on Thurs. for Miami and hope to meet some people at Bubba Gumps in the evening. Everyone take care and safe travels!

Blue eyes,

You know I really didn't think about it but we didn't eat lunch the day that we were with Oscar. We ate a large breakfast that morning and if I remember correctly we were at the restaurant around 3PM. If your group is concerned about eating you might order something from room service and take it with you, or there are lots of places that you could stop and eat something. I am sure that Oscar knows of a place that you could grab a snack. The restaurant that he takes you has an incredible view. We could have eaten there but were concerned about the time frame. We had to be back on the ship by 3PM. Oscar does have drinks for you in the van. Again you might want to pack a ziplock bag and just take a sandwich with you.

You will have a great day. I hope you guys post about your day in Costa Rica what ever you do.

Judy,

I would be interested about what your mom thinks of the village that Oscar takes you to. I am not sure if anyone has posted about what they do when the others are do the zipline. Your information would be helpful.

Colleen

Colleen,

I would also like to know before we go. I'm concerned about this. At the current time Oscar has told me it's just my mother and I who are ziplining. If that's the case I can't leave my mother alone while I zipline. She wouldn't like that and I wouldn't do that to her.

I hoping someone joins Oscar for ziplining the day we are there. 3.23.05 on the Legend. Anyone??

Thanks

Judy,

Gosh I don't know how to respond to your question. I wouldn't worry about leaving my mother in Oscars hands for a trip to a village, but that isn't my call. I have posted Oscar's phone number on the board. If you have any doubts I think you should call him and talk to him directly. He and his family are just trying to make a living and giving us a lot more for our US dollars than most of the tour guides there, or the ship tours.

I have no association with Oscar and his tours other than having a wonderful time in Costa Rica at a wonderful price. If you have doubts I would call and talk directly with Oscar so you feel comfortable. If you don't then I would cancel my tour.

Thanks Colleen. I sure won't cancell I'm so looking forward to this tour. I've been e-mailing Oscar and he's been great. I have no worries about leaving my mom either but I know she will not like it. She doesn't like to seperate at port or even on the ship for that matter. LOL

I'm hoping someone will join us, if not we both will do another tour with Oscar and I will miss out on ziplining, not the end of the world.

Thanks for all your help with booking this tour!

Archived