Arcadia National Park: Oli's Trolley vs. Princess's "Best Of Both Worlds" tour

swdke

At first I was interested in Oli's Trolley, as it seems to cover the same itinerary as the Ship's tour of the same, and was is cheaper. But now, I am debating on taking a particular Ship's tour to Arcadia National Park which also includes other activites as well. It's a Princess tour called "Best Of Both Worlds."

Normally, I prefer independent tours on my own, such as Oli's Trolley, but this particular ship's tour seems to do the same Arcadia Park itinerary, plus extra activities that I would otherwise not be able to do as there is no other independent tour that includes these other activities. I guess I am trying to decide whether to stick to Oli's Trolly tour visiting Arcadia National Park, or to take the ships tour and see additional sights. Can anyone share if they have experience with these other activites and if they were worth seeing and doing? Thank you.

The Best of Both World's tour includes the following:

Stand on the summit of Cadillac Mountain, the highest peak on the East Coast, visit the Lobster Oceanarium for a look at Maine's lobster industry, and journey back in time with the visit to one of Bar Harbor's restored cottages.

WHAT YOU VISIT

LOBSTER OCEANARIUM & MUSEUM

Dedicated to Maine's lobster industry and lobstermen, the Oceanarium features displays on the life cycle of the lobster, as well as a lobster fishing demonstration featuring a lobster boat exhibit, all performed by a licensed Maine lobsterman.

CADILLAC MOUNTAIN

Depending upon weather conditions, stop for a souvenir photo taken from the highest peak on the Atlantic coast north of Rio de Janeiro. Cadillac Mountain affords spectacular views of Bar Harbor and its surrounding islands.

ACADIA NATIONAL PARK

The 27-mile-long Park Loop Road from

Hull's Cove to Cadillac Mountain takes you past famous sights including Jordan

Pond House, Otter Cliffs and Thunder Hole, where ocean swells converge against

granite cliffs to create a thunderous roar.

THE TURRETS MANSION

Enjoy the unique ambience of the Turrets mansion, one of Bar Harbor's last remaining summer mansions overlooking Frenchman Bay. The Turrets is on the National Registrar of Historical Places and is a fine example of the opulent lifestyle of the Gilded Age. Your guide will share the tales of a bygone era when America's wealthiest families made Bar Harbor their summer playground.

Having been to Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park numerous times, I would recommend you take Ollie's Trolley and afterwards walk around Bar Harbor on your own and spend the difference on a lobster roll and ice cream. The town is right there where the tender docks and is small enough to walk around in an hour or two. IMO the mansion and lobster museum are merely tourist attractions and not the real Bar Harbor. Walk along the pier instead!!

Having been to Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park numerous times, I would recommend you take Ollie's Trolley and afterwards walk around Bar Harbor on your own and spend the difference on a lobster roll and ice cream. The town is right there where the tender docks and is small enough to walk around in an hour or two. IMO the mansion and lobster museum are merely tourist attractions and not the real Bar Harbor. Walk along the pier instead!!

Thank you for this information. I will be on a differenct cruise but at the same port and I too have seen the Ollie's Trooly web site and was strongly considering taking their tour. Now I will for sure.

Reading the description from Princess it does sound like they cover more on that tour compared to Ollie's trolley.

We did Ollie's and really enjoyed it. Well worth the $. Then we had lobster rolls and blueberry ale right on the water front that was incredible. There are many very quaint shops to explore in this old fashioned town. We bought some blueberry jam and other gifts to bring home. I was very pleased with the Ollie's tour and then exploring on our own.

Also Ollies was an open air type trolley that didn't hold a ton of people. I don't know if the Princess tour would be a giant charter tour bus or not. I prefer the quaintness of the trolley.

Do you remember the name of the restaurant you had the lobster roll and blueberry ale?

It was called Stewmans and was to the right of the tender area. They had a dock area right on the water with picnic tables& umbrellas or you could eat inside. We waited for an outdoor table and had a beer at the bar. I like to try new things and since blueberries are known in Maine I tried the micro beer, but my husband didn't care for it.

Stewman's served the lobster rolls in a basket with a ton of fries. Lobster rolls are not cheap, sorry can't recall the price, but so good.

There were many places to choose from to eat.

Has anyone had difficulty viewing out from Oli's Trolley? We'll be there in October, and I assume it may be too cool to ride with the vinyl windows down. Just wondering if there were any reasons not to consider Oli's Trolley.

It doesn't say where it stops in Acadia Park and Cadillac Mountain is in the park so actually it goes to two more places than Oli's the musuem and the mansion. I really don't like ships excursions as the time they say for the length includes the wait before, the tender and the wait for the tour to begin. How much is this trip? Newport has the mansions to see and I bet the lobster musuem is right at the port.

We are just back from this port a couple of weeks ago and hired a rental car. For us this was a much better option, as we could stop exactly where we wanted to, and even take a couple of short hikes. I felt quite sorry for the people on the trolley tour, they were just given 15 mins at the very crowded thunder Hole, and some of them had to spend that time in line for the restrooms there.

We are just back from this port a couple of weeks ago and hired a rental car.

Did you rent from Enterprise? Did you have to be picked up and taken to Trenton to pick up your rental? What about the drop off? Can you share who you rented with and the details of getting the car and returning? Thanks!

We rented from Hertz, and to be honest if you have the option of Enterprise they may be better. The Hertz website states they will refund $20 of the cab fare from the pier to Trenton, so we took a cab, but although we had a printout of the webpage with us they refused to refund the $20 and the lady was very rude about it.

Coming back they did have a driver available to run people back to the pier leaving Hertz at 2.30pm or 3.30pm. The drive is only 20 mins from town to Trenton, and only 15 mins from Trenton back to the park. For us it was worth it for the convenience of the car, and getting away from the large groups on tours.

We rented from Hertz, and to be honest if you have the option of Enterprise they may be better. The Hertz website states they will refund $20 of the cab fare from the pier to Trenton, so we took a cab, but although we had a printout of the webpage with us they refused to refund the $20 and the lady was very rude about it.

Coming back they did have a driver available to run people back to the pier leaving Hertz at 2.30pm or 3.30pm. The drive is only 20 mins from town to Trenton, and only 15 mins from Trenton back to the park. For us it was worth it for the convenience of the car, and getting away from the large groups on tours.

Thank you for the info, other than Arcadia National Park, did you drive anywhere else? How much time did you spend in the Park?

We didn't go anywhere else, we spent the whole day in the park. We did a couple of 2-3km hikes so that took some time, stopped by the visitors centre to see the excellent 15 min film they run, and just took our time stopping to take photos of the amazing views.

We did Olley's Trolleys last week. Other than the last row of seats in the corner you can see from everywhere on the trolley. Ours did not have the final windows so we were warm enough. It is really cold on top of Cadillac Summit. I would think in late October you should have gloves and a hat. We walked to Chowda's and had great New England clam chowder and lobster rolls but had to eat outside. The dining room wasnot open for lunch that day. Don't know if they open for lunch later in the season. There are lots of places right in town to get lobster rolls as well. Enjoy your trip.

I never thought about renting a car since I am not use to actually visiting a state on our cruise. How much was the car and how much was the park entrance fee? We have reservations for Oli's but if it is worth it, we may change.

We pre-paid a rate of £37, which is approx $60 and included unlimitied mileage and top-up insurances.

I think the entrance to the park was $20 per car.

• 3 weeks later...

We did Olley's Trolley last week. It was good but the weather was bad. I wished I had rented a car instead of taking the tour and spent the time along the coast rather than a drive to Cadillac where we could not see anything.

We did Olley's Trolley last week. It was good but the weather was bad. I wished I had rented a car instead of taking the tour and spent the time along the coast rather than a drive to Cadillac where we could not see anything.

Where can we rent a car there? We are also booked on Oli's Trolley but so far I have no idea where to get a car from. Does anyone know? We are leaving Friday for the cruise Saturday.

Yes, we'll be on a cruise ship. I see that Olley's and the Arcadia bus both stop running Oct. 31. I guess my two options are to do the cruise ship excursion or rent a car.

What I don't like about the excursion is it doesn't stop at the place to get popovers.

place to get popovers = Jordan Pond House Restaurant

The car rental agency is off island. You'll have to make arrangements with the agency to be picked up/dropped off or use a taxi. This should all be done in advance of the cruise. I know this can be done because I've seen the posts from those that have.

SBtS

place to get popovers = Jordan Pond House Restaurant

The car rental agency is off island. You'll have to make arrangements with the agency to be picked up/dropped off or use a taxi. This should all be done in advance of the cruise. I know this can be done because I've seen the posts from those that have.

SBtS

Thanks for answering this question as I also have seen it done and no one has responded how they did it so we could make arrangements if we felt it was worth it. So it sounds like Enterprise is the only company I can think of that picks up and drops off. Do you know what town off the island is the closest?

There is an Enterprise Rent-A-Car at the Hancock County/Bar Harbor Airport located in Trenton, ME about 12 miles from the tender dock, I believe there is a Hertz agency located there also.

The largest town nearest BH is Ellsworth, ME about 20 miles from the tender dock.

SBtS

Archived