QM2 crossing without dressing up?

marklynpa

Not able to fly and considering using QM2 as my transportation across the Atlantic. My travels in Europe will not require any formal wear and I would like to make the trip without bringing the 'dress-up' clothes just for the cruise portion. Is it possible to do the crossing on the QM2 without bringing a lot of formal wear (maybe just a jacket and a few ties) and still being comfortable on the ship in the evenings when it is formal/semi-formal?

thanks....Mark

Absolutely. they have lovely dining accommodations in the buffet in the evening. They usually change 2 into reservation/no charge restaurants, but there is always more food to eat in the other buffets. We did that also, when not wanting to dress up for the dining room on our 24 day QM2 trip. You can also get room service if you are too comfy to get dressed. It was wonderful and I say go and enjoy!

You could get by on a jacket, couple shirts and a few ties, or as NomDePlume suggested, you could rent formal wear and have it sent onboard.

Most people - probably 90% or so - get dressed up in the evenings on QM2. I don't think you have to bring a lot of formalwear, but you might feel a little out of place in the evenings if you don't have at least one piece to change into. The ratio of people who dress vs. those who don't is much different compared to the average cruise ship.

It just occurred to me that I forgot to mention another option if you are using the ship for a round trip: it is possible to leave a suitcase--or two--with the Port Agent in Southampton, thus having your "cruisewear" back in your cabin for the return crossing. This is arranged whilst on board, with the Purser's Office.

As to what to bring, a dark suit can be used for both formal and informal evenings--the color and material of your tie will give it a more dressed or more relaxed feeling.

Enjoy your trip.

You will do just fine with coat and tie(s). If you don't feel uncomfortable doing so (and you should not) why bother with what others think or say. You are ships that pass in the night; do not let others make you feel out of place or uncomfortable. Cunard has more than its share of snobbish dress police, which is fine for them, but no reason for you to attempt to meet their standards such as renting a tux.:)

Is it possible to do the crossing on the QM2 without bringing a lot of formal wear (maybe just a jacket and a few ties) and still being comfortable on the ship in the evenings when it is formal/semi-formal?

thanks....Mark

Certainly! Make it a dark jacket and you can wear it to both formal and semi-formal evenings and dine where you like on the ship - ring the changes with shirt/tie choices, white shirt/dark tie for formal, lighter alternatives for semi-formal. And if you don't want to wear a jacket, the Kings Court has many great options. While many people enjoy the 'formal' / dressing up' part of a crossing - its only about 4 or 5 hours out of three days.....

Not able to fly and considering using QM2 as my transportation across the Atlantic. My travels in Europe will not require any formal wear and I would like to make the trip without bringing the 'dress-up' clothes just for the cruise portion. Is it possible to do the crossing on the QM2 without bringing a lot of formal wear (maybe just a jacket and a few ties) and still being comfortable on the ship in the evenings when it is formal/semi-formal?

thanks....Mark

As the formality is a great part of the charm of the crossing with Cunard, you might be better advised to take a Transatlantic trip from Miami or Fort Lauderdale on a different line, Holland America or similar

Please! 90% dressing formal! I was on for 24 days and half were dressed formally, we saw more than our share of really sloppy dressers. That was our first Cunard cruise and I was a little nervous about all the formal andf semi-formal nights. Not to worry, you will look just fine. Go and enjoy the TA, its a lovely way to cross.

Not to worry, you will look just fine. Go and enjoy the TA, its a lovely way to cross.

Agree entirely!

For some people dressing up is an important part of the holiday - but for others not - and even for those who do enjoy dressing up there will be three formal nights out of six (or seven, next year) - so maybe a grand total of 15 hours in formal wear out of well over 100.

People spend MUCH more time dressed casually, during the day, than they do dressing formally.

.....So with all due respect to Capnpugwash, usually a dispenser of sound advice - horsefeathers!

Go and enjoy a TA on QM2. With or without a jacket.

As the formality is a great part of the charm of the crossing with Cunard, you might be better advised to take a Transatlantic trip from Miami or Fort Lauderdale on a different line, Holland America or similar

The OP stated that he is unable to fly & is using the crossing as a means to get from A to B the fastest way otherwise possible; a repositioning cruise will take almost twice the amount of time. Ten days plus & then generally from Lisbon/Med to Florida....and how do we get the OP to Lisbon for example?

If you want to preserve tradition so much then look out for those few travellers that are using the Southampton - New York crossing for it's true & original purpose..........at the end of the day those of us that are on board for the experience are the interlopers :)

The OP stated that he is unable to fly & is using the crossing as a means to get from A to B the fastest way otherwise possible; a repositioning cruise will take almost twice the amount of time. Ten days plus & then generally from Lisbon/Med to Florida....and how do we get the OP to Lisbon for example?

If you want to preserve tradition so much then look out for those few travellers that are using the Southampton - New York crossing for it's true & original purpose..........at the end of the day those of us that are on board for the experience are the interlopers :)

Edina, I apologize unreservedly, I only had the information provided by the OP and was not party to your telepathic communications. England is not the capital of Europe and people will often visit Barcelona, Rome Paris or Lisbon without venturing into the UK or even London. They are all easily connected by rail which as far as I know, doesn't involve any flying. Not being au fait with the OP's travel plans I am now going to administer some linctus to soothe my throat, having had it jumped down.

I am on board right now. In the Britannia restaurant on Formal Night I would guesstimate that perhaps 50% of men are wearing a tux and the rest are in a jacket and tie or a suit and tie.

I had a couple of pieces of laundry done and as long as you do not want same day service, the cost is no more than my local dry cleaners. You can always consider that in your planning.

Best wishes to you!

I'm also on board now and I feel sure that there are far more than 50% in tuxedos! It looks lovely I must say. The evening of the black and white ball seems to be much more formal for both men and women and then the evening of the Ascot ball, with the third evening, slightly less but still in great numbers.

There are some white jackets too but only a few. Last week, I saw kilts and troons but not this week but we are on the early sitting this week and I do think that also makes a difference.

Generally, it is all just splendid!

I couldn’t agree more. I wish Cunard would treble their prices, this would put an end to people trying to get round the dress code, it is there for a very good reason and should be strictly adhered to at all times, with no exceptions.

I couldn’t agree more. I wish Cunard would treble their prices, this would put an end to people trying to get round the dress code, it is there for a very good reason and should be strictly adhered to at all times, with no exceptions.

Nonsense! You are equating money with standards which displays a very narrow view of people and life.

And how do you explain that all the luxury lines, of which Cunard is not, are country club casual? Formal wear is a thing of the past, but a lovely one. I do agree with you that whatever dress code a line chooses, it should be firm about adherence, at least for the designated formal dining room(s). But even that, I just frankly don't notice anymore when others do not adhere, unless they are making a spectacle of themselves, and that can be fun to see and whisper behind one's hand about, in a perverse way.;)

And how do you explain that all the luxury lines, of which Cunard is not, are country club casual?

I won't wear country club casual to dine at the country club, let alone on a TA crossing. You're either dressed for dinner or you're not. There is no such thing as elegant casual. It's like saying someone is partially pregnant.

Archived