Digital newbie shopping. Anyone have the Panasonic FZ35?

NWgal65

Hello,

I have never owned a digital camera. I am sailing in a week with my two teen girls and I think I have the bug for a digital camera...early Christmas present to myself???ha ha

I actually got bitten after viewing a pictorial review of an Alaskan cruise. The pictures were excellent! Everyone was in awe of the pictures and many asked what camera the OP used. It was a Panasonic DMC-FZ28. I learned that the newer model was due out soon. That is the FZ35, which just came out recently.

This past week,I have been reading reviews of cameras, and it's overwhelming. Since this one is new, even the major digital camera review sites (that I read about on this forum) have not gotten to a thorough review...some have posted some test shots.

Anyone have this camera yet? Or the FZ28? If so, are you happy with the camera?

I was also looking at the Panasonic ZS3, which has gotten excellent reviews also, but I don't mind the extra weight and size of this one, to get what I believe is a better zoom?

Newbie questions:

1) I assume a polarizing filter is recommended? Does that help protect the lens from UV rays, or just help with picture quality? I have seen comparison shots and it seems to reduce glare????

2) Any concerns about airport security machines and the welfare of the camera? Just leave in checked-luggage or ??

3) Online purchasers seem to be buying the "Transcend 8GB ?" card with this. Does that seem reasonable?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice and feedback.

Don't drive yourself too crazy! Most digital cameras out today take great shots, it is more about knowing how to take a picture! It is like saying that someone can bake well because they have a kitchenaid mixer!:D

Panasonic makes really nice cameras and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one myself.

A polarizing filter does reduce glare, and makes lots of colors "pop", I wouldn't worry too much about a UV filter on the camera, if I had the choice of one filter I would choose a polarizing filter. And a word of advice, don't go really cheap with filters, because the lens of the camera is only as good as the filter in front of it, so a cheap filter will degrade the photo, which is a shame because a good camera has a good lens.

Digital cameras and camera cards are not affected by airport security X-ray scanners, so no worries there.

an 8 gig card will hold lots of pictures. I would travel with more than one card in case the card fails for some reason (not likely with a quality brand like Lexar, Sandisk, transcend, etc..) I have multiple 2 gig cards I find that it is easier to manage than one huge one. You can purchase SD cards online at really great prices, usually much less than in a big box store.

I go for cards that are rated fast, since most digicam's video modes need to save lots of info very fast and a slow card could give choppy video, but for general picture taking you don't need the speed. Cheap cards will boast about really high speeds but they usually cannot live up to their claims, if you purchase one of the quality cards mentioned (their higher speed versions) above you don't have to worry about it. I currently use Sandisk Ultra II, and Lexar Premium.

Bakechef..thank you for the info!

I just pulled the trigger and bought the Panasonic! I think I will be pretty happy with it from all I have read and from what owners of it and the of the 28 have said.

I did not order filters as I am not sure what "high quality" is? If you happen on this thread again maybe you (or someone else??) can help me see what kind of price for a high quality one. Like you said, it doesn't make sense to cover up a great lens with a cheap filter! Online i saw a pack of 3 Zeico lenses, one was polarizing, for only $11.16 for all 3. That just seemed so inexpensive.

And, lastly, you mentioned a high speed card...I did write down the names you suggested, but how do I know if it is high speed? Some say SDHC...they seem to be pricier...does that signify high speed?

Thanks again!

Bakechef..thank you for the info!

I just pulled the trigger and bought the Panasonic! I think I will be pretty happy with it from all I have read and from what owners of it and the of the 28 have said.

I did not order filters as I am not sure what "high quality" is? If you happen on this thread again maybe you (or someone else??) can help me see what kind of price for a high quality one. Like you said, it doesn't make sense to cover up a great lens with a cheap filter! Online i saw a pack of 3 Zeico lenses, one was polarizing, for only $11.16 for all 3. That just seemed so inexpensive.

And, lastly, you mentioned a high speed card...I did write down the names you suggested, but how do I know if it is high speed? Some say SDHC...they seem to be pricier...does that signify high speed?

Thanks again!

No problem, glad to help. SDHC means SD High Capacity and is usually on cards that are over 2gb in size. Nowadays SD card's speed is determined by the class # written on the card, either 2, 4, or 6. Class 2=2mb per second, Class 4=4mb per second, and class 6=6mb per second, cards must meet the minumum standard in each class. The higher the number the faster the file can be written to the card (this has no bearing on how fast your camera snaps a picture). For general picture taking a class 2 will fit the bill, but when you want to shoot video, or take continuous rapid shots then a class 4 or 6 is what you will really need.

Newegg.com is one of my favorite tech companies, they ship really fast and their prices are often among the best. Here are some 8gb cards that I found for you.

1st, Transcend 8gb, class 6(what I would recommend for this camera since it has HD video), a great price (free shipping). http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820208293

2nd Sandisk 8gb, class 4.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820171348

3rd. Kingston 8gb, class 4.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134482

There are lots of other places for memory cards out there, but I would shy away from places like Ebay and companies that you have never heard of, there are some counterfeit cards for sale out there.

Good luck! Congrats on the new camera!

Cool! Glad to see that you were ready to take the plunge! You could spend weeks agonizing over dozens of digital cameras only to frustrate yourself. There are so many opinions and some just really love one brand and some another, but to be honest most name brand cameras out there will do a great job, and it looks like you got yourself one great camera!

This camera is great to start off with and has the ability to grow with you if you want to learn more advanced functions later on, or just put it in AUTO and snap away!

I have the DMC FZ 18 which is the predecessor to the FZ28.

I am pleased with the camera. The camera can be automatic or manual and I like the digital view finder. You actually get a owners manual which is nice and don't forget to bring it with you.

I also bought the Transcend 8gb from New egg before my Alaska trip in July and had no problems. A few times I used the camera on burst mode and was able to capture some great whale shots.

Put your camera in your carry on. You should never check valuables. The camera is not that big and I put it in a case and into my tote bag along with some snacks and reading material.

Enjoy your new camera and cruise.

Denise

Hi Denise...Thanks for your input. I am glad you like the camera...that's always good to hear :) I will have to try the burst mode! I read about it...sounds neat. And, the memory card...yes, it looks like a good one. I'm sure Alaska was great...on my list of places to visit again!

Oh...if you hapen back on here and see this... do you use a filter? If so, what size thread? 27mm? Did you need an adapter?

I have looked and looked and none of the specs really give that info...I just know it says it has a 27mm wide angle lens. The camera is on its way and I was going to take it to a camera store to have them help me get a filter, but if you can help, that would be great. I'm sailing soon :)

Hi Denise...Thanks for your input. I am glad you like the camera...that's always good to hear :) I will have to try the burst mode! I read about it...sounds neat. And, the memory card...yes, it looks like a good one. I'm sure Alaska was great...on my list of places to visit again!

Oh...if you hapen back on here and see this... do you use a filter? If so, what size thread? 27mm? Did you need an adapter?

I have looked and looked and none of the specs really give that info...I just know it says it has a 27mm wide angle lens. The camera is on its way and I was going to take it to a camera store to have them help me get a filter, but if you can help, that would be great. I'm sailing soon :)

27mm wide angle refers to the equivalent focal length on a 35mm camera. The lens is actually a 4.8mm - 86.4mm. I wrote an article on choosing cameras that explains this pretty well: http://pptphoto.com/ArticlePages/WhatCamera.htm

The FZ-35 takes a 46mm filter.

Dave

Thank you, Dave.

I appreciate you identifying the correct size filter I needed. So much of this is hard for me to understand. I plan to read your articles and educate myself even more. I did decide to go with the Panasomic Lumica polarizing filter in a 46mm. I also got a UV filter, but I think it was a lesser brand.

I think I am squared away for now at least :)

Appreciate your help!

Dave beat me to the answer.:) He is the expert not me.

46 mm is correct and I used a polarizing filter. I did find that my pictures weren't as crisp as I would have liked but that was easily corrected in Photoshop.

I also bought a uv filter and a fluorescent one. I took the camera to Germany last year.

Denise

Hi Denise,

I certainly wondered if the filter would take away from the clarity of the picture. That's why I wanted to get a decent polarizing filter. I got a UV filter for only $10, while the polarizing was almost $60 (on sale.) I figured that I could compare pics with and without filters and look at all of the differences, including clarity. I did not get a Fluorescent filter yet, but I am hoping it will improve my pics of my daughter playing volleyball in gyms! They always turn out horrible!

I bet Germany was great!

Thanks again for your help.

Indoor sports shots are always so hard. The problem is, is that it is an environment that needs a flash, but the room is too large for a flash to work, so your camera also slows down the shutter speed to compensate for the low light, so you will get blurred pictures.

I find that cranking up the ISO a bit and using continuous shooting to snap a bunch of pictures in rapid succession will often yield at least a decent shot or two.

Thanks Bakechef! Your suggestion sounds great for indoor sports shooting. yes, it is frustrating. I have many, many blurry volleyball pics. At least now with Digital, I will not be paying all that money to get all those blurry pics developed!! Hoping the camera arrives today, as it should.

I did not get a Fluorescent filter yet, but I am hoping it will improve my pics of my daughter playing volleyball in gyms! They always turn out horrible!

The FL filter is simply a magenta filter to replace the lack of red-spectrum wavelengths in fluorescent light. Your camera can be manually set to Fluorescent white-balance to do the same thing. Auto white-balance modes on digital cameras don't always do tungsten and fluorescents well, so it is generally a good plan to switch them manually when you are going to shoot under those lights for a while.

Dave

Dave, thanks for that info about the setting. My camera did arrive today, so I hope to get a chance to look at the manual. That is a great tip about that setting as I had really hopes to get some better "gym" pics. Volleyball season just started, so it is that time! Of course that will come after our cruise!!

• 1 month later...

Archived