If the ship arrives CIVITAVECCHIA at 5am.....

California Native

Generally speaking, how early have you been able to disembark the ship for a PRIVATE TRANSFER to FCO

I'm just figuring out if we will just overnight in Rome on our return and fly out the next morning with an extremely tight connection CDG which we probably wouldn't make

or book a flight FCO -CDG in the late morning and then force a overnight in CDG which of course I'm leaning towards as who doesn't like to stroll the sidewalks of Paris even if it's just for a little bit.

We have maxed out our travel days for our 24 day cruise and we have both been to Rome and Paris before extensively, so time in those cities is not necessarily part of the equation.

Thanks for your input, I've never ended a cruise before in Roma

K

• 3 months later...

There has ben a LOT of discussion on this on the Celebrity board also. We have taken 3 cruises which arrived in the wee hours of the morning in Rome. We had an 11:00 flight to the States and always made it with time to spare. Some other posters felt that it was too difficult as the Rome airport is always crowded and has long lines, but again, we usually walk off the ship with our luggage as soon as it clears, catch our waiting ride and are at the gate with time to spare for an 11:00 flight. As some other posters said, it is better to be safe than sorry, but we have never yet been sorry.....

Hi Everyone..

Just thought I would bump this up..

The time has come to book our FF miles tickets as they just opened up for our cruise next year

Anyone else have any thoughts about making that 10:20am flight to Paris

it's now 10:20am not 11:20am

Thanks

K.

It's a Monday and in Nov

I personally would not do it, especially if you have to be back at work a day or two later. Are you saying your only other option is a flight out the next day? As you probably know it's about 1 hour 15 minutes to the airport.

What are your options using the FFmiles? Do you have to go through Paris? If you miss the flight out can your ticket be endorsed over to a partner airline or do you have to hope there is seat availability the next day?

You have to consider also how stressed you will be during the cruise hoping that you dock in time. Also, another big question is what port is prior? I have cruised into Rome both in 2007 and 2008 and we were already in Europe at the prior port (last one Sicily so no customs issues). You have to know your back-up plan if you miss the flight. Will you miss a friend in Paris? Will you loose the cost of a non-refundable hotel, etc that will likely not be covered by insurance.

Hi Jade

Yep, we had analyzed all the what ifs..the cruise gets in at 5am, we are in Europe...etc etc

BUT

as you know with travel you need to be prepared for a plan B and even plan c-q

So, just spend the afternoon dealing with FF mile options

We wanted Air France, because I wanted to route through for Paris for a few days

and it's one of the best non stops out of SFO

anyway, even 1 year out..There are NO FF mile seats available

on the outbound AND the return...

that's right... the seats opened up yesterday and whatever minimal

allotment they allowed has been snagged.

so much for Paris..they want to route me throughout the USA to get to Rome using Delta...

need to re group and possibly use AA miles, but they dont allow stopovers.

so, we will spend a couple of days in Rome..maybe head to Orvieto and Ostia Attica..

Will keep you posted..

Hi where2next,

I would give the airlines several dates on your return to the USA and stay over in Italy. Love Italy -- never get to go there enough!!! On all our trips overseas, we always go in early and stay over in order to use our frequent flyer mileage. It's getting harder and harder and we always book it when the book opens almost a year before flying. Some flights only have two seats allotted for mileage. Just keep trying!!!

Sheila

We wanted Air France, because I wanted to route through for Paris for a few days

so much for Paris..they want to route me throughout the USA to get to Rome using Delta...

so, we will spend a couple of days in Rome..maybe head to Orvieto and Ostia Attica..

Will keep you posted..

Sorry to hear about Paris. Personally I would rather be in Rome/Italy. Ostia Antica is great. We took a 2:00pm flight out (SWISS) and went there on our way to the airport. Stefano from Rome Cabs watched our bags and it's 15 minutes from the airport, so we had a very relaxing stroll.

We hope to go to Orvieto next trip.

­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­I had the same situation using FF miles. I was unable to get out of Rome on the date of the AZ arrival. I decided to stay a few days in Rome since we have never explored that city. I was then able to use FF miles on a Monday departure. I called Delta four different times before I found an agent who was able to find me flights out of Rome using FF miles. Keep trying.

Hi Jade

Yep, we had analyzed all the what ifs..the cruise gets in at 5am, we are in Europe...etc etc

BUT

as you know with travel you need to be prepared for a plan B and even plan c-q

Will keep you posted..

Not sure how familiar you are with CDG...but it is a terrible airport in general and a nightmare when making connections. The traffic is terrible that time of year so look for a long commute into the city from CDG for that stroll you are wanting. I personally think Rome (FCO) is a much better airport but I would probably do an afternoon flight to play it safe and not feel stressed.

... so, we will spend a couple of days in Rome..maybe head to Orvieto and Ostia Attica..

Will keep you posted..

Hi Where2next!

On our return from the Quest last month, I couldn't get a flight out to Montreal the day of our return... so I did like Jade! I booked a cab and planned a half day in Ostia Antica! It was perfect! We took our time the morning of disembarkation, got in the car, in less than 1 hour we were in Ostia where we spend 3 hours - could have easily spend twice as much time there! Then we headed to the Hilton airport where we stayed since our flight was at 6h30am the next morning. It worked out really great!!

We might end up doing something similar next year as well!

See you on the Roll Call!

MC

Not sure how familiar you are with CDG...but it is a terrible airport in general and a nightmare when making connections. The traffic is terrible that time of year so look for a long commute into the city from CDG for that stroll you are wanting. I personally think Rome (FCO) is a much better airport but I would probably do an afternoon flight to play it safe and not feel stressed.

Bonjouyr Wookeef...

We are VERY familiar with Air France and CDG..

Most of our FF miles are on Delta who is "friends" with Air France

Our airport is SFO and AF offers a wonderful non stop and pretty much goes everywhere in Europe.

When we force a stop over in Paris.

We stay at the Hotel Ibis at Terminal 3 at CDG..the last couple of years the rate has been 57 euro a night. Sure, it's a budget hotel but that Hotel Ibis chain thinks of everything for your convenience

The RER station is adjacent to the hotel and airport and 2 years ago we were in the Marais area in 28 minutes with a croissant in my hand!!!

You are absolutely right about the traffic, wow..it can be crazier than SFO Bay Area...that's why we came up with this system.

Anyway...the whole idea is a distant dream...(poor me, no paree :eek::( :))

We are now draining our American FF mile bank

We are on a very crazy routing..

(we fly home out of rome by way of Brussels as one of our stops)

and they don't allow stop overs in Europe..unfortunately because we love Belgium and some of their chocolate and beer would help this routing easier to digest :D

anyway still working on the routing...I have 5 days before I have to ticket..

Marie Claude, Shoshana and everyone else....

Currently we arrive into port on Nov 15th..

We will stay at the Hilton at the airport and then fly out super early on Nov 16th...

I like the idea of Ostia Antica and once this is all ticketed ( by Dec 26 at midnight) and I know for sure these are our flights I will touch base with Marie Claude on your driver etc etc

We do love Italy and spent 3 weeks on our Honeymoon there

http://ourpassportstamps.com/Italy_Trip.html

We have both been to Rome, but seperatly before we were together.

However, we need to explore more of the surrounding areas

Time to press speed dial for AA again...

Grazie...

Ciao Ciao

K.

Bonjouyr Wookeef...

We are VERY familiar with Air France and CDG..

Most of our FF miles are on Delta who is "friends" with Air France

Our airport is SFO and AF offers a wonderful non stop and pretty much goes everywhere in Europe.

When we force a stop over in Paris.

I remember you saying this previously and I am sorry to have forgotten it. Must be losing my mind:p

We stay at the Hotel Ibis at Terminal 3 at CDG..the last couple of years the rate has been 57 euro a night. Sure, it's a budget hotel but that Hotel Ibis chain thinks of everything for your convenience

The RER station is adjacent to the hotel and airport and 2 years ago we were in the Marais area in 28 minutes with a croissant in my hand!!!

Yes, that is a convenient location...sounds like a sound plan. You seem to love Europe as much as we do and probably should meet one day.

You are absolutely right about the traffic, wow..it can be crazier than SFO Bay Area...that's why we came up with this system.

Anyway...the whole idea is a distant dream...(poor me, no paree :eek::( :))

We are now draining our American FF mile bank

We are on a very crazy routing..

(we fly home out of rome by way of Brussels as one of our stops)

and they don't allow stop overs in Europe..unfortunately because we love Belgium and some of their chocolate and beer would help this routing easier to digest :D

Don't forget the Mussels...never forget the frites and mussels with that delic. beer!:p

anyway still working on the routing...I have 5 days before I have to ticket..

Glad you got it worked out...have a wonderful trip.

I am flying back from Rome in May and am flying AF too...just so convenient and a direct flight too. It cost me a few hundred more but well worth the convenience after the long trip I will want to get home and see my babies(pups that is). I got a great late flight...so no stress for me and I will take the shuttle they offer to get there.

To where2next,

So happy that you were able to get your non-stop flight from Paris to SFO. We live in the L.A. area and know what a pain it is to be routed home from Europe. We have stayed over at Heathrow twice this year in order to get the ONLY daily AA non-stop from Heathrow to LAX. It leaves at 11:00 a.m. and if you are connecting from other cities in Europe, it's almost impossible to get to Heathrow in time to make it to Terminal 3. Our friends were on a free ticket from Copenhagen to LAX. We left them at Heathrow in June and went to the Sofitel hotel for a good dinner and night's sleep. They continued on to Dallas and then on to LAX. By the time they got home at midnight, they were thoroughly exhausted. We are going on a river boat cruise next July and will leave Amsterdam really early in order to make our 11:00 a.m. flight home to LAX.

Sheila

I like the idea of Ostia Antica and once this is all ticketed ( by Dec 26 at midnight) and I know for sure these are our flights I will touch base with Marie Claude on your driver etc etc

We do love Italy and spent 3 weeks on our Honeymoon there

http://ourpassportstamps.com/Italy_Trip.html

We have both been to Rome, but seperatly before we were together.

However, we need to explore more of the surrounding areas

Time to press speed dial for AA again...

Grazie...

Ciao Ciao

K.

Contact Stefano at Romecabs (AT) yahoo.com

I can't rave about him enough and also Ostia Antica. I want to go back there. i liked it better than Pompeii. We have driven with Stefano to many diff places and he is now a friend.

Thanks Jade!

and for everyone.......

Now for the latest update which is turning out to be a pretty good plan L or are we on plan Q... :D

1st off want to say the Int'l desk at AA has been stellar with their creativity...

for a moment there had a glimmer of Paris back on the radar, with a Air Tahiti Nui flight out of LAX nonstop to Paris..unfortunately couldnt get us all the way to Rome

So, drum roll please...WooKeef, you'll like this...

We are flying rountrip through Brussels and for an extra 10,000 miles a stopover in Brussels for 4 days..Ghent and Brugge are less than 1 hour away train ride and we LOVE Brugge!

We haven't been to Ghent (so close, but no time on other trip).

On the return out of Rome, we are forced to stay until the next morning so we will follow all of your great advice and do Ostia Attica and then head to the Hilton.

If anyone reading this is even thinking of use FF miles on ANY carrier, BOOK IT NOW..I called as soon as the seats opened up for Nov 16th return and it has taken hours and hours to find seats..and I had all of Delta's partners to work with and American's partners.

We have never had such the challenge in all my years traveling as we did this year to use the miles.

Thanks again everyone..

K.

• 2 years later...
Contact Stefano at Romecabs (AT) yahoo.com

I can't rave about him enough and also Ostia Antica. I want to go back there. i liked it better than Pompeii. We have driven with Stefano to many diff places and he is now a friend.

We have also used Stefano and he was one of the best drivers we have had. Wonderful service and he was always on time. He went out of his way to help us!

Marion

Archived