Wall Diving in Cayman

drewlane

Neither are what I consider true "walls." The north side has what is more like a wall. Don't get me wrong about the wall thing, both are GREAT dives. Most of the divers I have talked with prefer the north "wall." I like the west side better (Big Tunnel, Trinity Caves, Orange Canyon, etc. are great dives). The north side takes a little longer to get to and the west side is only a 3-10 minute boat ride from Seven Mile Beach.

The West end of the island is easier to get to and weather seldom makes it hard to dive there. The North is more often undivable because of wind from the north, gets less dive traffic, you are more likely to see pelagic marine life, and is considered to be in better condition because of less dive traffic (at least pre-Ivan).

I'd prefer going to the north is weather permitted. Do a wall dive first then a stingray dive second. Not the sandbar where the "snorkelers" go to stand and see the sting rays.

I have done many dives in the Caymans and granted there are many profiles that gently slope down to 100ft before dropping off, I can assure you that they are "true walls". Did a 130ft profile off Grand Cayman and it was perfectly verticle above and below into the abyss. It is not like the walls off Little cayman where they start at less than 20ft and are vertical from there but if you go deep enough you will stare into the abyss from a verticle wall. As for choice, I would definitely recommend the North wall without a doubt. If you are prone to motion sickness you may want to check the conditions first, it can get pretty rough in the North. West is much more accessible and will take a lot less time if you are pressed for time by your ship's schedule.

Archived