NCL Star Cabins?

scanner219

I need to rent a scooter for my upcoming cruise. My husband can only walk a short distance at a time. I've contacted NCL & they told me the width of a regular cabin door is 26 inches. The place that I will be renting from told me the chair is 23 inches & will fit thru a regular cabin. Does this sound right or should I get a HC cabin? The ship is the Star.

I need to rent a scooter for my upcoming cruise. My husband can only walk a short distance at a time. I've contacted NCL & they told me the width of a regular cabin door is 26 inches. The place that I will be renting from told me the chair is 23 inches & will fit thru a regular cabin. Does this sound right or should I get a HC cabin? The ship is the Star.

IF you are renting from an NCL approved supplier that is familair with NCL ships , the information received may well be accurate.

The 26" inches probably does not take into account the 2" -2 1/2" that the width of the door takes ups. Therefore the door is 23 1/2" -24" wide.

If it were me I would ask the rental company the following questions :

1. What is the base width of the scooter ?

2. What is the width from outside edge to outside edge of the arms rests ? Sometimes the arm rests are wider in width than the scooter base and this is where it could become an issue. Of course you can always take the arms rests off as they are generally adjustable by pulling out a pin. Just don't forget to put them back on at the end of the cruise.

You should get a handicap accessible cabin. While the scooter may fit through the door -- once inside, you won't be able to move around in the cabin with it, and it will be blocking your doorway as it won't go past the bed. Then in order to get out, you'd have to be backing it out of the cabin, not an easy task if youu're not familiar with the scooter. If your husband has difficulty walking, he'd likely appreciate not having to step over a threshhold to get into the bathroom, and would benefit from the extra grabbars and space in the bathroom, the drop down shower seats, and the raised toilet.

Archived