mekong delta tour

holidayhelen

That isn't very far-MAYBE 30KM. AND you would have a 4+ hour drive EACH way from Saigon/Can Tho/Saigon. Not much of a tour.

IF you contacted them and dispensed with all the BS little boat tours, you MAY be able to arrange for them to pick you up in Saigon, go to Can Tho, see the floating market either in Can Tho or Cai Be. Their website (second one) states you can pick a tour from Saigon to Can Tho, but states it cannot be done in one day because of all the BS transferring boats, going on land to see this and that, etc. It will take a GOOD 6 hours from Saigon to Can Tho just watching and enjoying the River. It will take you the better part of two days to do this, so you won't see Cu-Chi or anything else in Saigon. Stick with one or the other-you don't have time for both.

Ok, so you can go with them overnight from Saigon to Can Tho if custom tour available? Than you would need a driver from Can Tho back to Saigon?

How would your other suggestion work taking a boat up the Mekong and staying at the Victoria and driver the next day early back to Saigon? Which boats are you looking at that leave right from HCMC? Those are the ones that I can not find.

Ok, so you can go with them overnight from Saigon to Can Tho if custom tour available? Than you would need a driver from Can Tho back to Saigon?

How would your other suggestion work taking a boat up the Mekong and staying at the Victoria and driver the next day early back to Saigon? Which boats are you looking at that leave right from HCMC? Those are the ones that I can not find.

The company you posted had a web link where you could put in the ports. I put in Saigon/Can Tho/Saigon. And it came back with something like "trip too short to get to Can Tho and return in 2 days". But then I looked at the "tour" A lot of going to shore to look around a village, a lot of getting into those stupid little boats and going up a canal, etc. So IF they would dispense with all the BS, you can make it to Can Tho. But you will have to convey your wishes, ask if they will even do the shorter trip with less BS and make your own arrangements.

I either go to the dock by the Riverside hotel and talk to the dock workers to find a ride up the river or I rent a boat from Tu Trang in Can Tho. I have to pay for the whole boat (about $450OW from Saigon to Chau Doc in 2008), but the little travel agent next door to the Riverside hotel can usually round up people to share the boat if I give her a couple days notice so it makes the price reasonable (it seats 12). It is NOT a luxury boat, there is no food (take your own), it is not a TOUR. You would have to pay for RT transport-expensive but you should be able to find a few others to share.

It is transport on an almost new, "fast boat" (speed boat), where you can sit on the roof, on the back deck or inside in chairs like a bus. When you hire the entire boat, the boat driver will take his time and show you the river. Most everyone sits on the roof, enjoying the scenery. Tu Trang's main business is Can Tho/Chau Doc to PP/Siem Reap for "fast boat" transport instead of the slow ferry that looks very dangerous and is usually overcrowded. Here is Tu Trang's email: tutrangtravel@hcm.vnn.vn That is how I have always gotten in touch with them. They have a chart with charter prices they will email to you.

I just took a look at Lonely Planet because the backpacker kids have much more fun than us oldsters and find all kinds of off the beaten path things to do. Someone posted that a company called BlueCruiser was using Tu Trang's boats to Cambodia. And they posted that you can charter Blue Cruiser boats, so maybe you can get them to give you a REAL trip up the Mekong. The boats (Tu Trang/Blue Cruiser) all look about the same. Looks like Blue Cruiser gives you tea, cookies and bananas in addition to water. It was also posted that Tu Trang is running a luxury boat out of Can Tho. But again, you have to get to Can Tho, which is a royal pain via car and you just don't have time to drive to Can Tho, cruise around overnight, drive back to Saigon. Here are the links I found:

http://www.bluecruiser.com/

http://tutrangtravel-mekongfeeling.vn/

The company you posted had a web link where you could put in the ports. I put in Saigon/Can Tho/Saigon. And it came back with something like "trip too short to get to Can Tho and return in 2 days". But then I looked at the "tour" A lot of going to shore to look around a village, a lot of getting into those stupid little boats and going up a canal, etc. So IF they would dispense with all the BS, you can make it to Can Tho. But you will have to convey your wishes, ask if they will even do the shorter trip with less BS and make your own arrangements.

I either go to the dock by the Riverside hotel and talk to the dock workers to find a ride up the river or I rent a boat from Tu Trang in Can Tho. I have to pay for the whole boat (about $450OW from Saigon to Chau Doc in 2008), but the little travel agent next door to the Riverside hotel can usually round up people to share the boat if I give her a couple days notice so it makes the price reasonable (it seats 12). It is NOT a luxury boat, there is no food (take your own), it is not a TOUR. You would have to pay for RT transport-expensive but you should be able to find a few others to share.

It is transport on an almost new, "fast boat" (speed boat), where you can sit on the roof, on the back deck or inside in chairs like a bus. When you hire the entire boat, the boat driver will take his time and show you the river. Most everyone sits on the roof, enjoying the scenery. Tu Trang's main business is Can Tho/Chau Doc to PP/Siem Reap for "fast boat" transport instead of the slow ferry that looks very dangerous and is usually overcrowded. Here is Tu Trang's email: tutrangtravel@hcm.vnn.vn That is how I have always gotten in touch with them. They have a chart with charter prices they will email to you.

I just took a look at Lonely Planet because the backpacker kids have much more fun than us oldsters and find all kinds of off the beaten path things to do. Someone posted that a company called BlueCruiser was using Tu Trang's boats to Cambodia. And they posted that you can charter Blue Cruiser boats, so maybe you can get them to give you a REAL trip up the Mekong. The boats (Tu Trang/Blue Cruiser) all look about the same. Looks like Blue Cruiser gives you tea, cookies and bananas in addition to water. It was also posted that Tu Trang is running a luxury boat out of Can Tho. But again, you have to get to Can Tho, which is a royal pain via car and you just don't have time to drive to Can Tho, cruise around overnight, drive back to Saigon. Here are the links I found:

Thanks. What about something like this that goes to the Chu Chi tunnels? It is on the Saigon River, not Mekong?

rach.jpg

Short tours on Saigon River

Ecological tour to Can Gio Flooded Forest Vam Sat, about 50 km from Ho Chi Minh City. It is area of about 2,000 ha where all sorts of flora and fauna of the marshy ecosystem are found. Tourists can enjoy the panorama of salty flooded forest with many strange plants and thousand of storks.

Small boat brings tourists across the forest to "Dam Doi" (Bat's swamp) to see numerous flying foxes (bats). Tourists can also go fishing and enjoy the fish or crabs caught by themselves.

Historical Tour To Cu Chi Tunnel

Pay a visit to the network of Cu Chi Tunnels, you will get the picture of how the Vietnamese guerilla can lived underground to fight against the U.S army. You will, for sure, will be surprised at what you see there. Tourists can also visit the temple built in memory of Vietnamese soldiers died during the war then enjoy Banh Canh Trang Bang - special noodle of the area - in the restaurant nearby.

Tour to Binh Duong on Saigon River

Cruising along Saigon River, tourist will visit Lai Thieu town in the southern province of Binh Duong, around 17km from HCM City, is famous for orchards and traditional pottery.

Ben Duoc Temple (Cu Chi)

cuchi.jpg

Where is Bach Dang Jetty? Is this near the port in HCMC? It looks like drop off at the Victoria Hotel, so would need a driver back the next morning to HCMC.

Stage1: SAIGON - CANTHO

• Pick-up place: Bach Dang Jetty
  • Drop off place: Ninh Kieu Jetty or Can Tho Victoria Hotel.
  • Running time: 4.00 hours

08.00AM Pick-up tourist at Bach Dang jetty – Cruising through Saigon river, Cay Kho canal, Can Giuoc river, Vam Co river, Cho Gao canal to Tien river – Arriving in My Tho at 10.00 AM – Drop at Thoi Son island to visit the orchards – Enjoy some kinds of tropical fresh fruit – Tourists can have lunch at the island (Tourist own charge)– 12.00 AM going on Tien river to Can Tho, the speedboat will go along Cho Lach canal to Co Chien river – Stop for visitting Brick factory – going on Mang Thit river, one of the amazing rivers in Mekong to Can Tho – Arriving in Can Tho at 4.30PM – Check-in hotel – Finishing the trip

This looks like it could be a day trip from Saigon vs an overnight, but only if we could leave after 9:00am (not 8:00am) which is when we are scheduled to dock. It looks like the only option would be a charter. But it would give time to see HCMC the next day and no 3 hour drive to My Tho.

Saigon- My Tho- Saigon

Passengers are picked up at 8:00am at the Bach Dang Jetty. The trip starts on Saigon River, passes small channels to Can Giuoc River, then continues on Vam Co River (Long An Province). The boat goes on Tien River - the Northern Branch of Mekong River - to My Tho. Passengers can visit My Tho city, Thoi Son island, have lunch and relax. Then boat brings tourists to the Bach Dang Jetty.

==

Saigon - My Tho - Ben Tre - Saigon

Passengers are picked up at 8:00am at the Bach Dang Jetty. The trip starts on Saigon River passing small canals to Can Giuoc River then continues on Vam Co River Long An Province). Tourists can enjoy nice scenery of the river banks. The boat will reach Tien River – The Northern Branch of Mekong Delta River . The tourists visit My Tho City, then the boat wil bring the tourists to Thai Son island where tourists can rest, have lunch, listen to Traditional music, visit alcohol and candy making shops. Tourists can also go into the center of the island to visit orchards, then return to the motorboat on a wooden sampan.The trip continues on Tien River to Cai Mon, the most famous fruit-tree planting region of the Mekong Delta, where tourists can visit orchards and enjoy fresh fruit.The boat takes new route passing Ben Tre Province where tourists will see forest of coconut trees. Coconut candy shops and factories processing coconut products such as coconut fiber, coconut charcoal manufacturering can be observed along the riverbanks .The tourists are brought back at the Bach Dang Jetty.

============

Saigon - My Tho- Vinh Long -Saigon

Passengers are picked up at 8:00am at the Bach Dang Jetty. The trip starts on Saigon River, passes small channels to Can Giuoc River, then continues on Vam Co River (Long An Province). Tourists can enjoy the nice scenery along the riverside. After two running hours, the boat will reach Tien River - Northern Branch of Mekong Delta River. The tourists visit My Tho City, the boat brings the tourists to Thai Son Island where the tourists can rest, have lunch, listen to traditional music, visit alcohol and candy making shops. The tourists can also go into the center of the island to visit orchards then return to the motorboat on a wooden sampan.The trip continues on Tien River to Vinh Long, approaches An Binh Island (the tourists can visit orchards and enjoy fresh fruit here) and Cai Be floating Market, handicraft village, My Thuan Bridge. With this program you will travel to major parts of lower section of Mekong River system. The tourists are brought back at the Bach Dang Jetty.

======

2 Days

Day 1: SAIGON – CAN THO – CHAU DOC (Route 1)

Passengers are picked up at 8:00am at the Bach Dang Jetty. The boat travels along small canals in the city and across many landscapes, such as, Long An, Can Giuoc River, Vam Co River, Cho Gao River, Tien Giang, and My Tho. The boat enters Tien River (one of 9 large branches of Mekong River) and visit a Pottery kiln at Vinh Long, then onto Can Tho. On the way, passengers can visit Thoi Son, where you will visit orchards and tastie fresh local fruit, The trip finishes on arrival in Can Tho.

Day 2: CHAU DOC – SAIGON (Route 2)

After breakfast at hotel, checking out hotel. Boat goes upstream of Hau River, passing Hong Ngu, Tam Nong bird sanctuary, Dong Thap Muoi, Vam Co River – Long An to HCMC. Finished travel at Bach Dang Jetty.

2 Days

Saigon - Chau Doc - Saigon

Day 1: The speedboat picks up passengers at Bach Dang Jetty at 8:00am. The boat brings the passengers to small canals in the city and across many landscapes as: Long An, Can Giuoc River, Cho Gao. Then, the boat enters Tien river, Hau river (two of 9 biggest branches of Mekong River) to Chau Doc. On this way, the boat brings the tourists to Thai Son Island where the tourists can rest, have lunch, listen to traditional music, visit alcohol and candy making shops, Long Xuyen Town, Floating Fish farm, Cham People’s Village. Arrive in Chau Doc.

Day 2: After breakfast at hotel, checking out hotel. Boat goes upstream of Hau River, passing Hong Ngu, Tam Nong bird sanctuary, Dong Thap Muoi, Vam Co River – Long An to HCMC. Travel finishes at the Bach Dang Jetty.

Where is Bach Dang Jetty? Is this near the port in HCMC? It looks like drop off at the Victoria Hotel, so would need a driver back the next morning to HCMC.

Stage1: SAIGON - CANTHO

• Pick-up place: Bach Dang Jetty
  • Drop off place: Ninh Kieu Jetty or Can Tho Victoria Hotel.
  • Running time: 4.00 hours

08.00AM Pick-up tourist at Bach Dang jetty – Cruising through Saigon river, Cay Kho canal, Can Giuoc river, Vam Co river, Cho Gao canal to Tien river – Arriving in My Tho at 10.00 AM – Drop at Thoi Son island to visit the orchards – Enjoy some kinds of tropical fresh fruit – Tourists can have lunch at the island (Tourist own charge)– 12.00 AM going on Tien river to Can Tho, the speedboat will go along Cho Lach canal to Co Chien river – Stop for visitting Brick factory – going on Mang Thit river, one of the amazing rivers in Mekong to Can Tho – Arriving in Can Tho at 4.30PM – Check-in hotel – Finishing the trip

Again, you keep looking for a "tour". I don't do tours-I rent boats, cars, transport and go where I want to go and see what I want to see. Yes, I do this even if it is the first time to an area. I am a big believer in the Lonely Planet guidebooks. Forget Frommers/Fodors-IMHO, for those who want to be herded and have a sheltered experience. I prefer in all situations an off the beaten path experience, even if it is not particularly "luxury". For a Mekong trip, I would do exactly as I posted. Charter a boat or find a boat (this you dont have time to do), round up some people so it is not so costly and go for it.

Bach Dang jetty is in downtown Saigon (District 1), not too far from the Caravelle hotel. It is the pier where the hydrofoils leave to Vung Tau. How far it will be from where your ship docks, I have no idea. There are so many docks/piers/jettys from Vung Tau to Saigon and a lot of "up river" trips for the larger boats/ships have to do with how high the water level is. Will your ship actually make it into the Saigon area or have to stay further south??? No one knows until a few days before you actually arrive and checks the water level.

The "tour" looks OK, although it goes to the stupid "bird sanctuary" island. But how are you going to get back from Can Tho? I am sure the Victoria hotel can arrange a car and driver but you miss the floating market/downtown Can Tho (they have great coffee beans for sale and it is where I buy a lot of the flip flops I sell) because you don't have time unless you get up REALLY early (like 6:00AM) and take the Victoria boat to the market (free for hotel guests).

Here is a RT Saigon/Can Tho/Saigon 2 day trip (I am almost sure they use Tu Trang's boats as there are few other speed boats in the area). You might want to round up 10 other people from your cruise and then "customize" the trip, so you get back to Saigon in time. Or email Tu Trang after you have rounded up other people and charter/design a custom tour. I know nothing about this company-most likely another booking agency. I would doubt they are actually the tour operator. Good luck!!!

http://www.mekongdeltatravel.com/index.php?tour&id=192&idparent=0

This looks like it could be a day trip from Saigon vs an overnight, but only if we could leave after 9:00am (not 8:00am) which is when we are scheduled to dock. It looks like the only option would be a charter. But it would give time to see HCMC the next day and no 3 hour drive to My Tho.

Saigon- My Tho- Saigon

Passengers are picked up at 8:00am at the Bach Dang Jetty. The trip starts on Saigon River, passes small channels to Can Giuoc River, then continues on Vam Co River (Long An Province). The boat goes on Tien River - the Northern Branch of Mekong River - to My Tho. Passengers can visit My Tho city, Thoi Son island, have lunch and relax. Then boat brings tourists to the Bach Dang Jetty.

==

Saigon - My Tho - Ben Tre - Saigon

Passengers are picked up at 8:00am at the Bach Dang Jetty. The trip starts on Saigon River passing small canals to Can Giuoc River then continues on Vam Co River Long An Province). Tourists can enjoy nice scenery of the river banks. The boat will reach Tien River – The Northern Branch of Mekong Delta River . The tourists visit My Tho City, then the boat wil bring the tourists to Thai Son island where tourists can rest, have lunch, listen to Traditional music, visit alcohol and candy making shops. Tourists can also go into the center of the island to visit orchards, then return to the motorboat on a wooden sampan.The trip continues on Tien River to Cai Mon, the most famous fruit-tree planting region of the Mekong Delta, where tourists can visit orchards and enjoy fresh fruit.The boat takes new route passing Ben Tre Province where tourists will see forest of coconut trees. Coconut candy shops and factories processing coconut products such as coconut fiber, coconut charcoal manufacturering can be observed along the riverbanks .The tourists are brought back at the Bach Dang Jetty.

============

Saigon - My Tho- Vinh Long -Saigon

Passengers are picked up at 8:00am at the Bach Dang Jetty. The trip starts on Saigon River, passes small channels to Can Giuoc River, then continues on Vam Co River (Long An Province). Tourists can enjoy the nice scenery along the riverside. After two running hours, the boat will reach Tien River - Northern Branch of Mekong Delta River. The tourists visit My Tho City, the boat brings the tourists to Thai Son Island where the tourists can rest, have lunch, listen to traditional music, visit alcohol and candy making shops. The tourists can also go into the center of the island to visit orchards then return to the motorboat on a wooden sampan.The trip continues on Tien River to Vinh Long, approaches An Binh Island (the tourists can visit orchards and enjoy fresh fruit here) and Cai Be floating Market, handicraft village, My Thuan Bridge. With this program you will travel to major parts of lower section of Mekong River system. The tourists are brought back at the Bach Dang Jetty.

======

2 Days

Day 1: SAIGON – CAN THO – CHAU DOC (Route 1)

Passengers are picked up at 8:00am at the Bach Dang Jetty. The boat travels along small canals in the city and across many landscapes, such as, Long An, Can Giuoc River, Vam Co River, Cho Gao River, Tien Giang, and My Tho. The boat enters Tien River (one of 9 large branches of Mekong River) and visit a Pottery kiln at Vinh Long, then onto Can Tho. On the way, passengers can visit Thoi Son, where you will visit orchards and tastie fresh local fruit, The trip finishes on arrival in Can Tho.

Day 2: CHAU DOC – SAIGON (Route 2)

After breakfast at hotel, checking out hotel. Boat goes upstream of Hau River, passing Hong Ngu, Tam Nong bird sanctuary, Dong Thap Muoi, Vam Co River – Long An to HCMC. Finished travel at Bach Dang Jetty.

2 Days

Saigon - Chau Doc - Saigon

Day 1: The speedboat picks up passengers at Bach Dang Jetty at 8:00am. The boat brings the passengers to small canals in the city and across many landscapes as: Long An, Can Giuoc River, Cho Gao. Then, the boat enters Tien river, Hau river (two of 9 biggest branches of Mekong River) to Chau Doc. On this way, the boat brings the tourists to Thai Son Island where the tourists can rest, have lunch, listen to traditional music, visit alcohol and candy making shops, Long Xuyen Town, Floating Fish farm, Cham People’s Village. Arrive in Chau Doc.

Day 2: After breakfast at hotel, checking out hotel. Boat goes upstream of Hau River, passing Hong Ngu, Tam Nong bird sanctuary, Dong Thap Muoi, Vam Co River – Long An to HCMC. Travel finishes at the Bach Dang Jetty.

Those day trips are the same stupid little day trips I cautioned you about. More time spent looking at things the tour operators make money on than seeing life on the Mekong. Please note that even on the 2 day trips this operator stops at that island where it is STRICTLY a tourist operation. Not for me-maybe for you.

The two day trips would be good BUT most of them get back about 4:30PM. So you would have to charter the boat to customize the tour to get back in time. Surely there have to be 5 couples on your ship also interested.

I also would not go any further than Can Tho for a 2 day trip. The boat driver will have to haul a** to make it all the way to Chau Doc in one day, so you won't see much. Sometimes you even have to stay inside when the water is choppy because you get soaked with the nasty, nasty water in the Mekong if the boat is going very fast. NOT pleasant if they have to keep the windows closed.

Those day trips are the same stupid little day trips I cautioned you about. More time spent looking at things the tour operators make money on than seeing life on the Mekong. Please note that even on the 2 day trips this operator stops at that island where it is STRICTLY a tourist operation. Not for me-maybe for you.

The two day trips would be good BUT most of them get back about 4:30PM. So you would have to charter the boat to customize the tour to get back in time. Surely there have to be 5 couples on your ship also interested.

I also would not go any further than Can Tho for a 2 day trip. The boat driver will have to haul a** to make it all the way to Chau Doc in one day, so you won't see much. Sometimes you even have to stay inside when the water is choppy because you get soaked with the nasty, nasty water in the Mekong if the boat is going very fast. NOT pleasant if they have to keep the windows closed.

Greatam, I'm still unclear on the difference on what you will see if you go to Can Tho and back in one day (if possible) vs. stay overnight and go back with driver to HCMC first thing in the morning to see some of HCMC? The issue is that we have not been to HCMC city before and also I don't think most people want to pay for a cruise and than stay overnight and pay for a hotel. I thought the difference with this option of a boat charter is that it was 1) leaving from Saigon and avoided the long drive (did you say 3 hours?) and 2) because it was a motor boat would go further up the Mekong.

If this is a bad option what about a boat along the Saigon River to the Chu Chi tunnels? Is the Saigon River one that flows into the Mekong?

I am trying to go to Chu Chi and also see some of the Mekong. We have from 9:00am first morning if we dock on time and departure the next day at 4:00am. A one day on the Mekong the first day could work.

Again, you keep looking for a "tour". I don't do tours-I rent boats, cars, transport and go where I want to go and see what I want to see.

I only posted these because it gives options for a charter. Othwise I do not know any of these areas. I see it takes 2 hours to get to My Tho from Saigon based on one of the proposed itinerarys.

Maybe a boat from Saigon (not My Tho), cruising up the Mekong, and lunch at the Can Tho Victoria hotel, and 2 hours boat back to Saigon. We could take a walk around Saigon that night and tunnels the next morning.

I see it takes 2 hours to get to My Tho from Saigon based on one of the proposed itinerarys.

Maybe a boat from Saigon (not My Tho), cruising up the Mekong, and lunch at the Can Tho Victoria hotel, and 2 hours boat back to Saigon. We could take a walk around Saigon that night and tunnels the next morning.

The Victoria Hotel's website says, "The journey by car from Ho Chi Minh City takes around 4.5 hours...", so not a reasonable overnight for those whose ship leaves the next afternoon and plan a driver to take them back to HCMC (but a fast boat would be possible). This could also be a day trip up the Mekong to the hotel for lunch and back if fast boat takes 2 hours.

Greatam, I'm still unclear on the difference on what you will see if you go to Can Tho and back in one day (if possible) vs. stay overnight and go back with driver to HCMC first thing in the morning to see some of HCMC? The issue is that we have not been to HCMC city before and also I don't think most people want to pay for a cruise and than stay overnight and pay for a hotel. I thought the difference with this option of a boat charter is that it was 1) leaving from Saigon and avoided the long drive (did you say 3 hours?) and 2) because it was a motor boat would go further up the Mekong.

If this is a bad option what about a boat along the Saigon River to the Chu Chi tunnels? Is the Saigon River one that flows into the Mekong?

I am trying to go to Chu Chi and also see some of the Mekong. We have from 9:00am first morning if we dock on time and departure the next day at 4:00am. A one day on the Mekong the first day could work.

I never said anything about going to Can Tho and back in one day. And I also said having a driver take you back from Can Tho was a royal pain. You have no idea how congested traffic is in Vietnam nor can someone from the USA even begin to imagine. Traffic accidents are very frequent and when they happen, it is much worse than anything you have ever seen in the USA. I remember one trip from DaNang to Nha Trang-330KM on Hwy 1 (the main highway North and South). 10, almost 11 hours with a quick stop for lunch and gas. No accidents, just the "usual" enormous amount of traffic with small roads, lots of motos, oxcarts, people walking on the road and grain harvested on the shoulders of the roads and all the people around the grain harvest. That was an average of 20MPH. I would hate to think how much extra time an accident would have taken. Took 7 hours to drive to Can Tho one trip due to 2 accidents. I found it was much faster (though certainly more expensive) to charter/find a boat to go up country.

You have me so confused with all these new ideas. It is at least 2 hours by car to My Tho from the Rex hotel in downtown Saigon. How far from your ship-probably at least another 1/2-1 hour. The tours figure the time from the major tourists hotels in Saigon. And has nothing to do with being a "motor boat further up the Mekong". They are all motor boats-just some are fast speed boats, not long tail boats or rice barges or cargo vessels.

My view of traveling is to get out and see countries as they really are, with all the warts and non pretty stuff. I can spend hours in and around industrial areas watching and observing real life and the interplay of the economy. I don't do museums as a general rule and I don't go to "touristy" things very often (although I love the shooting range at Cu Chi).

IMHO, you will have to either take one of the packaged tours which goes mainly through the canals around My Tho (and this was exactly where we saw them butchering/BBQing dogs) or charter a boat to do what you want. I see no benefit to racing up the Mekong to Can Tho, having lunch, then turning around to go back to Saigon. I personally think you are trying to cram too much into a port stop. Either do the short tour to My Tho (the cliche Mekong tour) and see Saigon the next day or take the leisurely trip to Can Tho, spend the night and return the following day and miss Saigon.

While cruises are nice, the port stops are just too short for most places in the world. I truly prefer to fly unless it is a transatlantic or a 2 week or longer repo cruise.

I never said anything about going to Can Tho and back in one day. And I also said having a driver take you back from Can Tho was a royal pain. You have no idea how congested traffic is in Vietnam nor can someone from the USA even begin to imagine. Traffic accidents are very frequent and when they happen, it is much worse than anything you have ever seen in the USA. I remember one trip from DaNang to Nha Trang-330KM on Hwy 1 (the main highway North and South). 10, almost 11 hours with a quick stop for lunch and gas. No accidents, just the "usual" enormous amount of traffic with small roads, lots of motos, oxcarts, people walking on the road and grain harvested on the shoulders of the roads and all the people around the grain harvest. That was an average of 20MPH. I would hate to think how much extra time an accident would have taken. Took 7 hours to drive to Can Tho one trip due to 2 accidents. I found it was much faster (though certainly more expensive) to charter/find a boat to go up country.

You have me so confused with all these new ideas. It is at least 2 hours by car to My Tho from the Rex hotel in downtown Saigon. How far from your ship-probably at least another 1/2-1 hour. The tours figure the time from the major tourists hotels in Saigon. And has nothing to do with being a "motor boat further up the Mekong". They are all motor boats-just some are fast speed boats, not long tail boats or rice barges or cargo vessels.

My view of traveling is to get out and see countries as they really are, with all the warts and non pretty stuff. I can spend hours in and around industrial areas watching and observing real life and the interplay of the economy. I don't do museums as a general rule and I don't go to "touristy" things very often (although I love the shooting range at Cu Chi).

IMHO, you will have to either take one of the packaged tours which goes mainly through the canals around My Tho (and this was exactly where we saw them butchering/BBQing dogs) or charter a boat to do what you want. I see no benefit to racing up the Mekong to Can Tho, having lunch, then turning around to go back to Saigon. I personally think you are trying to cram too much into a port stop. Either do the short tour to My Tho (the cliche Mekong tour) and see Saigon the next day or take the leisurely trip to Can Tho, spend the night and return the following day and miss Saigon.

While cruises are nice, the port stops are just too short for most places in the world. I truly prefer to fly unless it is a transatlantic or a 2 week or longer repo cruise.

I believe the traffic because I have been to India and stayed in a village.

The 2 day stop at HCMC is suppose to allow more time to see things. I don't want to go and be sorry we never saw the Mekong Delta. The idea was to charter a small motor boat.

The confusion with My Tho is that someone on my roll call has emailed three tour companies and they all say it is about an 1 hour 45 minute drive. Someone else on the Princess cruise on this thread has the shorex saying it is 3 hours each way. I thought you avoided this traffic if you took a fast motor boat. We are supposed to be docked in HCMC.

Ho Chi Min City

Nha Rong Port

Os Ngyen Tat Tahanh Street

District 4

Another option was to go on the Saigon River to Chu Chi, which was a tour idea listed on the link you posted.

I believe the traffic because I have been to India and stayed in a village.

The 2 day stop at HCMC is suppose to allow more time to see things. I don't want to go and be sorry we never saw the Mekong Delta. The idea was to charter a small motor boat.

The confusion with My Tho is that someone on my roll call has emailed three tour companies and they all say it is about an 1 hour 45 minute drive. Someone else on the Princess cruise on this thread has the shorex saying it is 3 hours each way. I thought you avoided this traffic if you took a fast motor boat. We are supposed to be docked in HCMC.

Ho Chi Min City

Nha Rong Port

Os Ngyen Tat Tahanh Street

District 4

Another option was to go on the Saigon River to Chu Chi, which was a tour idea listed on the link you posted.

Any way you look at it, it will take 1/2 hour-1 hour to get to the Bach Dang jetty from the ship for one of the fast boat tours. I missed the Cu Chi by boat tour. TAKE THAT ONE. I would. In fact, I may just do that before I go to Can Tho on my next trip into Vietnam (December). That would be very interesting to me to be able to go up the Saigon River to Cu Chi.

NOT much difference between 2 hours and 1 hour 45 minutes to My Tho (for those crappy little tours). Have you looked at a map of the area??? It would help. My Tho/Can Tho are basically SW from downtown Saigon. The Mekong turns N/NE at Can Tho to get into Cambodia where it joins the Tonle Sap at Chau Doc.

Since your ship is docking on the SW side of Saigon proper (MAYBE-depends on water level so don't be disappointed if the ship can't get all the way up the river) you would not have to go through District 1 if you left directly from the ship to My Tho. Three hours is probably too much, but I sure wouldn't count on anything much less than 2 hours from your ship to My Tho.

Take the Cu Chi boat trip. Sounds really fascinating (and a part of the river I have never been on-north of Saigon). While it is not REALLY the Mekong, I sure wouldn't waste my time and money going on one of the stupid, stupid little trips out of My Tho. As I have posted previously, did it once with DH (who travels much more conventionally). Bad (because of the dog butchering) and stupid because of the stupid little boat ride with the fruit going up the canals and the phony bird sanctuary/tourist ripoff (notice they are now calling it an island with orchards, NOT a bird sanctuary) And I have seen all the tourist vans loading their people into the stupid little boats while I have been on the river in either a fast boat or a cargo boat. Never again.

Thanks for finding the Cu Chi tour. I would have never known about Blue Cruiser until I looked at Lonely Planet and your prompting made me look. The kids have much more innovative ways to do things. So much more fun and so much more REAL.

Any way you look at it, it will take 1/2 hour-1 hour to get to the Bach Dang jetty from the ship for one of the fast boat tours. I missed the Cu Chi by boat tour. TAKE THAT ONE. I would. In fact, I may just do that before I go to Can Tho on my next trip into Vietnam (December). That would be very interesting to me to be able to go up the Saigon River to Cu Chi.

NOT much difference between 2 hours and 1 hour 45 minutes to My Tho (for those crappy little tours). Have you looked at a map of the area??? It would help. My Tho/Can Tho are basically SW from downtown Saigon. The Mekong turns N/NE at Can Tho to get into Cambodia where it joins the Tonle Sap at Chau Doc.

Since your ship is docking on the SW side of Saigon proper (MAYBE-depends on water level so don't be disappointed if the ship can't get all the way up the river) you would not have to go through District 1 if you left directly from the ship to My Tho. Three hours is probably too much, but I sure wouldn't count on anything much less than 2 hours from your ship to My Tho.

Take the Cu Chi boat trip. Sounds really fascinating (and a part of the river I have never been on-north of Saigon). While it is not REALLY the Mekong, I sure wouldn't waste my time and money going on one of the stupid, stupid little trips out of My Tho. As I have posted previously, did it once with DH (who travels much more conventionally). Bad (because of the dog butchering) and stupid because of the stupid little boat ride with the fruit going up the canals and the phony bird sanctuary/tourist ripoff (notice they are now calling it an island with orchards, NOT a bird sanctuary) And I have seen all the tourist vans loading their people into the stupid little boats while I have been on the river in either a fast boat or a cargo boat. Never again.

Thanks for finding the Cu Chi tour. I would have never known about Blue Cruiser until I looked at Lonely Planet and your prompting made me look. The kids have much more innovative ways to do things. So much more fun and so much more REAL.

I already heard from the Blue Cruiser Rep in the US (out of Ohio) and

"The trip to Can Tho from Saigon takes about 5 hrs, and we offer only charter for that trip. Round Trip for 1-4 persons is about $620.

Saigon – Cu Chi – Saigon for 1-4 persons is about $300"

I won't know until the HCMC office opens on Monday if they would include transportation from the ship to go to Chu Chi and how many hours for $300.00. If we had 4 persons it could be doable on the Saigon River for $75.00 each but I still have a problem that thus far those on my roll call do not want to go through the tunnels. For those Seniors who don't want to crawl in tunnels is the area still interesting? Its actually offered as a ships tour and they do not emphasize going into the tunnels, more about the movie and photo op above ground...

"The trip to Can Tho from Saigon takes about 5 hrs, and we offer only charter for that trip. Round Trip for 1-4 persons is about $620.

Just fyi that I heard from the Victoria Hotel in Can Tho and they said it is 4 hours by motor boat (but I'd trust the boat operator who says 5 hours). My point is that Can Tho is not a good idea as a suggestion from a cruise ship even as a 2 day tour if docked overnight and leaving the second day in the afternoon. It's just way too chancy trying to make a ship departing that second day if it could take 5 hours to get back to HCMC.

The original questions on this thread were how to see the Mekong if docked in HCMC. Some were asking if not to My Tho than where else? I guess the other option is the Saigon River.

I am waiting to hear from 2 tour operators plus Blue Cruiser confirming the costs. At least one person on my roll call is not interested unless its a "tour", but that could be as simple as having a tour guide join us.

Just fyi that I heard from the Victoria Hotel in Can Tho and they said it is 4 hours by motor boat (but I'd trust the boat operator who says 5 hours). My point is that Can Tho is not a good idea as a suggestion from a cruise ship even as a 2 day tour if docked overnight and leaving the second day in the afternoon. It's just way too chancy trying to make a ship departing that second day if it could take 5 hours to get back to HCMC.

The original questions on this thread were how to see the Mekong if docked in HCMC. Some were asking if not to My Tho than where else? I guess the other option is the Saigon River.

I am waiting to hear from 2 tour operators plus Blue Cruiser confirming the costs. At least one person on my roll call is not interested unless its a "tour", but that could be as simple as having a tour guide join us.

4 hours in a fast boat WITHOUT seeing much. As I posted before, the boats go pretty fast (35-40mph) and you can get very wet if they are hauling a**. Victoria is telling you how much time to get to their hotel with no sightseeing. That is the service Victoria provides-transport to their hotels on the river. Victoria has their own boats.

The 2 day "boat trip" to Can Tho for $620 for 4 people is pretty reasonable. Cheaper than what I paid in late 2008 for one way. I really can't see any problem with getting back by early the next afternoon. Check out of the hotel and go to the Can Tho floating markiet before 7:00AM (best time for the market), then leave for Saigon. If you took the day up country for a leisure ride and sightseeing (NOT just 5 hours), you would not have to go at a leisurely pace on the return IF you started running short on time. But you would definitely miss everything about/around Saigon.

IF you can get a trip to Cai Be/Vinh Long (which is really a trip to the floating market at Cai Be), that would be a compromise between the stupid little trips to My Tho and going all the way to Can Tho. But ONLY if you can get to the Cai Be market BEFORE 10:00AM. The market opens very, very early (4AM or around there). Most of the vendors are gone by 10:00AM.

I know I keep calling the My Tho trips stupid, but I sure think they are. Put you in a long tail boat with fruit and go up a couple of canals, stop at the coconut candy factory and to the d***ned touristy island. The only problem is MOST of the tours DRIVE you to Cai Be/My Tho before you get on the boat. So the boat part is really a very small portion of the day on these tours. The boat/river for me IS the day.

Just two very different ways of traveling.

IF you can get a trip to Cai Be/Vinh Long (which is really a trip to the floating market at Cai Be), that would be a compromise between the stupid little trips to My Tho and going all the way to Can Tho. But ONLY if you can get to the Cai Be market BEFORE 10:00AM. The market opens very, very early (4AM or around there). Most of the vendors are gone by 10:00AM.

I know I keep calling the My Tho trips stupid, but I sure think they are. Put you in a long tail boat with fruit and go up a couple of canals, stop at the coconut candy factory and to the d***ned touristy island. The only problem is MOST of the tours DRIVE you to Cai Be/My Tho before you get on the boat. So the boat part is really a very small portion of the day on these tours. The boat/river for me IS the day.

Sample charter to Cai Be/Vinh Long(but we should leave earlier and go to market first)

"Passengers are picked up at 8:00am at the Bach Dang Jetty. The trip starts on Saigon River, passes small channels to Can Giuoc River, then continues on Vam Co River (Long An Province). Tourists can enjoy the nice scenery along the riverside. After two running hours, the boat will reach Tien River - Northern Branch of Mekong Delta River. The tourists visit My Tho City, the boat brings the tourists to Thai Son Island where the tourists can rest, have lunch, listen to traditional music, visit alcohol and candy making shops. The tourists can also go into the center of the island to visit orchards then return to the motorboat on a wooden sampan.The trip continues on Tien River to Vinh Long, approaches An Binh Island (the tourists can visit orchards and enjoy fresh fruit here) and Cai Be floating Market, handicraft village, My Thuan Bridge. With this program you will travel to major parts of lower section of Mekong River system. The tourists are brought back at the Bach Dang Jetty."

Sample charter to Cai Be/Vinh Long(but we should leave earlier and go to market first)

"Passengers are picked up at 8:00am at the Bach Dang Jetty. The trip starts on Saigon River, passes small channels to Can Giuoc River, then continues on Vam Co River (Long An Province). Tourists can enjoy the nice scenery along the riverside. After two running hours, the boat will reach Tien River - Northern Branch of Mekong Delta River. The tourists visit My Tho City, the boat brings the tourists to Thai Son Island where the tourists can rest, have lunch, listen to traditional music, visit alcohol and candy making shops. The tourists can also go into the center of the island to visit orchards then return to the motorboat on a wooden sampan.The trip continues on Tien River to Vinh Long, approaches An Binh Island (the tourists can visit orchards and enjoy fresh fruit here) and Cai Be floating Market, handicraft village, My Thuan Bridge. With this program you will travel to major parts of lower section of Mekong River system. The tourists are brought back at the Bach Dang Jetty."

If it's a charter, won't they do the tour in reverse, going to the floating market first? You will still be hard pressed to get off your ship, get to the Bach Dang Jetty, get on the speed boat and get to Cai Be before a lot of the vendors leave the market. Someone else asked about the trip to Vinh Long/Cai Be. There will still be a few vendors there late morning, but to see the floating market to me means seeing all the vendors with all the "weird" fruit for sale. Try the mangosteen and the dragon fruit. Mangosteen has only be imported into the USA in any quantity since 2008. Dragon fruit is now coming in by the container load. Durian (if you can stand the smell) is also very good.

If it's a charter, won't they do the tour in reverse, going to the floating market first? You will still be hard pressed to get off your ship, get to the Bach Dang Jetty, get on the speed boat and get to Cai Be before a lot of the vendors leave the market. Someone else asked about the trip to Vinh Long/Cai Be. There will still be a few vendors there late morning, but to see the floating market to me means seeing all the vendors with all the "weird" fruit for sale. Try the mangosteen and the dragon fruit. Mangosteen has only be imported into the USA in any quantity since 2008. Dragon fruit is now coming in by the container load. Durian (if you can stand the smell) is also very good.

Yes, I am looking into it. I did get some quotes from Blue Cruiser but need to confirm since one was for the Saigon River and another to My Tho (over 2 days), but it looks promising. They do, however, require payment upfront (I can't really blame them). The Sales Manager offered to come with us after I said at least one person on our cruise wants more of a "tour" which means someone English speaking who can tell us about the Mekong. I also asked if we could leave earlier. The Bach Dang Jetty is 500 meters from where we are scheduled to dock.

Northern branch of the Mekong and to Cai Be, Vinh Long, and An Binh Island.

Cai Be/Vinh Long

"Passengers are picked up at 8:00am at the Bach Dang Jetty. The trip starts on Saigon River, passes small channels to Can Giuoc River, then continues on Vam Co River (Long An Province). Tourists can enjoy the nice scenery along the riverside. The boat will reach Tien River - Northern Branch of Mekong Delta River. The trip continues on Tien River to Vinh Long, approaches An Binh Island (the tourists can visit orchards and enjoy fresh fruit here) and Cai Be floating Market, handicraft village, My Thuan Bridge. With this program you will travel to major parts of lower section of Mekong River system. The tourists are brought back at the Bach Dang Jetty."

Greatam, I have the pricing back from Blue Cruiser. The prices are based on distance, not hours the boat is chartered.

Saigon - Cai Be - Saigon - 1-4pax $462.00 (286km)

Saigon - Cai Be - Saigon - 8-10 pax $566.00 (286km) ** I think this is the one we are looking for

Other options:

Saigon - My Tho - Saigon - 1-4 pax $324.00 (250km)

Saigon - My Tho - Saigon - 8-10 pax $397.00 (250km)

Saigon - Cu Chi - Saigon - 1-4 pax $294.00 (157km)

Saigon - Cu Chi - Saigon - 8-10 pax $343.00 (157km)

I don't understand why going to Cai Be is so much more expensive than My Tho (36km further) and asked the price if we skipped My Tho (isn't that your suggestion). We also need to stop somewhere for lunch. The other issue is that this needs to be paid in advance and I asked if they could split on multiple credit cards (or at least 2 so I wouldn't have to take the entire risk).

Greatam, I have the pricing back from Blue Cruiser. The prices are based on distance, not hours the boat is chartered.

Saigon - Cai Be - Saigon - 1-4pax $462.00 (286km)

Saigon - Cai Be - Saigon - 8-10 pax $566.00 (286km) ** I think this is the one we are looking for

Other options:

Saigon - My Tho - Saigon - 1-4 pax $324.00 (250km)

Saigon - My Tho - Saigon - 8-10 pax $397.00 (250km)

Saigon - Cu Chi - Saigon - 1-4 pax $294.00 (157km)

Saigon - Cu Chi - Saigon - 8-10 pax $343.00 (157km)

I don't understand why going to Cai Be is so much more expensive than My Tho (36km further) and asked the price if we skipped My Tho (isn't that your suggestion). We also need to stop somewhere for lunch. The other issue is that this needs to be paid in advance and I asked if they could split on multiple credit cards (or at least 2 so I wouldn't have to take the entire risk).

Because My Tho is where all the supposed "Mekong Tours" go. More developed infrastructure for tourists PLUS the tour operators get a kick back from the candy factory, the restaurant on the island and other "commissions". There are many, many tours with van drop off in My Tho and a few that go all the way from Saigon. Not so many going to Cai Be or Can Tho (unless they are going into Cambodia).

By skipping My Tho, you are cutting the tour operator out of their commissions (even though most won't admit it, that is exactly what happens). If you don't go to Cai Be first and then My Tho on the way back to Saigon, I see no point in going to Vinh Long/Cai Be, unless you can just enjoy a day on the river. Doesn't sound like it if someone wants a "tour".

Your credit card problem-if Blue Cruiser has a US rep, you may be able to split it. Otherwise, you are asking for something that is VERY foreign to Vietnam. Whenever I deal with transport DIRECT in Vietnam, I pay, then sort it out. Why don't you just round up the money from others, THEN pay with one credit card and put the money towards your credit card payment. Would create far less problems when you get there unless the US rep will do it.

Because My Tho is where all the supposed "Mekong Tours" go. More developed infrastructure for tourists PLUS the tour operators get a kick back from the candy factory, the restaurant on the island and other "commissions". There are many, many tours with van drop off in My Tho and a few that go all the way from Saigon. Not so many going to Cai Be or Can Tho (unless they are going into Cambodia).

By skipping My Tho, you are cutting the tour operator out of their commissions (even though most won't admit it, that is exactly what happens). If you don't go to Cai Be first and then My Tho on the way back to Saigon, I see no point in going to Vinh Long/Cai Be, unless you can just enjoy a day on the river. Doesn't sound like it if someone wants a "tour".

Your credit card problem-if Blue Cruiser has a US rep, you may be able to split it. Otherwise, you are asking for something that is VERY foreign to Vietnam. Whenever I deal with transport DIRECT in Vietnam, I pay, then sort it out. Why don't you just round up the money from others, THEN pay with one credit card and put the money towards your credit card payment. Would create far less problems when you get there unless the US rep will do it.

Blue Cruiser has a US Rep in Ohio. I know because he emailed me over the weekend to tell me about a time difference that I already knew about (why I would not get a response from HCMC until Monday).

I think the plan would be to shoot up to Cai Be first and than go to My Tho (because of the infrastructure and restaurants for lunch, candy factory). For some reason in your earlier posts I thought you were suggesting skipping My Tho. But I understand you were suggesting skipping driving there and spending a minimum of 4 hours (2 hours there and back driving) and thus missing life on the Mekong.

I just want to make sure we have enough time to get back to HCMC. Our ship is scheduled to depart at 4:00pm. It seems like their suggested itineraries leave at 8:00am but I would see if they can leave earlier, say 7:30am (we'd still have to depart the ship by 7:00am) and attempt to get back by 1:30pm (so 6 hours). If we ran over to 2:00pm, OK.

Do these prices look OK to you? I think this is the best we would get direct with the company that owns the motor boats.

Blue Cruiser has a US Rep in Ohio. I know because he emailed me over the weekend to tell me about a time difference that I already knew about (why I would not get a response from HCMC until Monday).

I think the plan would be to shoot up to Cai Be first and than go to My Tho (because of the infrastructure and restaurants for lunch, candy factory). For some reason in your earlier posts I thought you were suggesting skipping My Tho. But I understand you were suggesting skipping driving there and spending a minimum of 4 hours (2 hours there and back driving) and thus missing life on the Mekong.

I just want to make sure we have enough time to get back to HCMC. Our ship is scheduled to depart at 4:00pm. It seems like their suggested itineraries leave at 8:00am but I would see if they can leave earlier, say 7:30am (we'd still have to depart the ship by 7:00am) and attempt to get back by 1:30pm (so 6 hours). If we ran over to 2:00pm, OK.

Do these prices look OK to you? I think this is the best we would get direct with the company that owns the motor boats.

In My Tho, MOST of the tours are on thos stupid little long tail boats. They are NOT on speed boats. And the drive is a pain. Are you SURE they are not going to transfer you to a long tail boat in My Tho??? Better check, because the big deal in My Tho is going up and down the canals.

I sure wouldn't take the chance of doing this on the second day. If something happens (like the boat prop gets caught in a fish net-that is the reason all the cruise lines BANNED cruisers using the hydrofoils from Vung Tau to Saigon), you would be toast. And you would be constantly worried about getting back. Do it the first day you are there-if anything happens, at least you have some time.

The price is fine-in fact pretty cheap.

You are really asking for a lot of things that are NOT common in Vietnam-early pickup, double credit card booking, etc. etc. And about the credit cards-you do realize that even if you are able to bill to more than one card, you will ALL be charged a fee for using the credit card plus currency conversion fees? Even though there is a rep in the USA, most of the tour operators use a Vietnamese bank, so the credit card will be rung up in Dong, not dollars. Better check this out THOROUGHLY because your fellow guests could be in for a RUDE surprise-3 or 4% for using a credit card + generally 3% currency conversion fees. Other than hotels, almost everyplace in Vietnam charges a surcharge for using a credit card.

In My Tho, MOST of the tours are on thos stupid little long tail boats. They are NOT on speed boats. And the drive is a pain. Are you SURE they are not going to transfer you to a long tail boat in My Tho??? Better check, because the big deal in My Tho is going up and down the canals.

I sure wouldn't take the chance of doing this on the second day. If something happens (like the boat prop gets caught in a fish net-that is the reason all the cruise lines BANNED cruisers using the hydrofoils from Vung Tau to Saigon), you would be toast. And you would be constantly worried about getting back. Do it the first day you are there-if anything happens, at least you have some time.

You are really asking for a lot of things that are NOT common in Vietnam-early pickup, double credit card booking, etc. etc. And about the credit cards-you do realize that even if you are able to bill to more than one card, you will ALL be charged a fee for using the credit card plus currency conversion fees? Even though there is a rep in the USA, most of the tour operators use a Vietnamese bank, so the credit card will be rung up in Dong, not dollars. Better check this out THOROUGHLY because your fellow guests could be in for a RUDE surprise-3 or 4% for using a credit card + generally 3% currency conversion fees. Other than hotels, almost everyplace in Vietnam charges a surcharge for using a credit card.

Greatam, if this is the case that going on the second day is too risky, than you just answered the question that going to the Cai Be market is not an option from a cruise ship, even if staying overnight in HCMC. An early pick-up is not an issue either. Quest is scheduled to dock at 9:00am and leave the second day at 4:00pm. We already found out that an overnight at the Victoria hotel is way too far as well (5 hours by boat and the hotel told me they do not provide transportation - so the overnight idea was out).

I can still rearrange my one day tour to Cu Chi and Reunification Hall on our second day, but do you think this boat charter is still worth doing on our first day if we docked on time at 9:00am, but did not get going until 10:30am (jetty is 500 meters from where we are scheduled to dock)?

I don't have information yet about additional transaction fees as I was quoted in US dollars and told this has to be paid in advance. No extra fees have been disclosed as of yet.

I am wondering if we should even bother going to the Mekong Delta.

Greatam - More info from Blue Cruiser

This would be on their 14 seat motor boat.

"+By our experience on Mekong River We will take you from Saigon To My Tho at 10h00am, You will arriving ( My tho at 12h00 If Cai Be at 1h00 pm) up to traffic on the canal. You can get lunch On THE THOAI SON ISLAND option of MY THO or at Cai BE Restaurant SEO MAY then Bluecruiser boat can take you to visit floating market or some small canal You want.

+If in your group they want to joint pupet show in HCMCTy at 6h00pm. You only choose the Saigon- My THO ( Lunch at THOAI SON)- back to Saigon it will be on time for you around 4h00pm.

Noted: @(MY Tho to Cai BE we need to drive around 30 to 45 minutes)

@ You can pay around $2 each person for the slow boat to come into the very small cannals in Thoai Son Island."

"If you want to see floating market, you should go to CaiBe. It is about 3:30 hours from SaiGon to Caibe, because we will go along small canal."

I found out that Overseas Adventure Travel (OAT) is doing this trip on their tours next year. It is highlighted as "New for 2010" on their web site. So, they figured out there had to be another way to see the Mekong from HCMC besides driving. It looks like they are just going to My Tho, but if coming this far we might as well go the extra way to Cai Be (initial email said it was 30-45 minutes further). I believe what was sent to me last night just skips My Tho and goes to Cai Be and Cai BE Restaurant SEO MAY is suggested.

This last correspondence and follow-up from them said 3.5 hours going through the canals. We should be back in town for the 8:00pm puppet show for those who wanted to go to the theater.

With transaction fees for either wire transfer or credit card use (I don't know if that is available yet but if they are trying to get individual business - they have a US Rep - in the US should be looking at PayPal or other secure ways for people to transfer money) the total should not be more than $600.00 for 8 people ($75.00pp max).

Archived