Does deck really matter??

travel_lover

I'm trying to decide what to do....the price is pretty cheap to go with CAT N for Dawn. If we book N it's for deck 4...or spend $70 more to choose our own cabin on Deck 9. For CAT N there's only GTY left so we can't even choose our own cabin.

So my question is what would you do? Is it really that big of a deal being stuck on Deck 4?

It's all a matter of personal preference and what is important to you. To some people location makes a big difference, to others the difference is very minor. Some people like to be near the action, some people like being aft or mid-ship, some people like being on higher decks, and some people just want some place quiet. We need to at least have a balcony cabin, and prefer to be closer to the upper decks, but price is also going to figure into the equations most of the time. Others don't consider a balcony to be worth the extra money. If money's the issue, go with the guarantee.

I'm trying to decide what to do....the price is pretty cheap to go with CAT N for Dawn. If we book N it's for deck 4...or spend $70 more to choose our own cabin on Deck 9. For CAT N there's only GTY left so we can't even choose our own cabin.

So my question is what would you do? Is it really that big of a deal being stuck on Deck 4?

This would depend on your own preferences and how you sleep in general. Some people feel more vibrations on deck 4, and also there can be loud noises (anchor lines, gangway noises) when the ship arrives in port, which can be early if you are not an early riser.

Thing is with a N category... you might end up the same (on deck 9) depending on how the chips fall with the GTY ... I've ended up on deck 8 with a GTY N on the Dawn previously...

But, if you are a light sleeper, and can sense vibrations easily, you can get the peace of mind of choosing your own cabin by spending the additional 70 bucks... which isnt really that much.

Location definitely makes a difference and I would never book a guaranty. For example, you never want to have a cabin underneath public areas. My daughter once had a balcony cabin under the buffet kitchen. They started cooking at about 5 AM and the noise was so loud they could not sleep. They finally got their cabin changed after two days.

Also, I would never book a cabin in the front of the ship. In rough seas, the front of the ship lunges into the waves. If you have even the slightest problem with motion sickness, you do not want to be near the front of the ship in rough seas.

When you book a guaranty, you roll the dice and take your chances!

for me not taking that chance...you just never know...and i dont have GOOD LUCK, was booked DECK 4 ended up all the way foward...not a GOOD CHOICE for me...for 13 days so i MOVED up to DECK 10...i think that will do just FINE:)i just know i NEVER want to be DECK 4 on NCL:eek:

• 5 weeks later...

I have had all types of cabins from most inexpensive inside cabins to the Owners suite and enjoyed all of them. I have found that each location on the ship has plus and minus points and at different times have chosen our cabin based on this.

However if cost was an issue I would rather pick the lowest priced option as a guarentee cabin and hope for an upgrade than to spend the extra money on a cabin that would not be my first choice or possibly not be able to afford to go on the cruise at all.

I have always enjoyed our cruises regardless of where our cabin is situated or what catagory we are in.

I love deck 4 mid on NCL! When you are in port that is where the exit/entrance is. I find it of all the decks is easiest to get where you want to go and is the most stable in a storm. The higher you are the more you swing.... I just came back from deck three on the Majesty....and loved it...

Archived