Snorkeling - How to tell depth?

tbmrt

I had a bad experience in St. Thomas or St. John many years go when I ended up on top of coral and had to get on my back, pull my butt up and float out of there! I was snorkeling from the beach and didn't realize how low the water was until it was too late.

Since then, I'm afraid to snorkel since I'm afraid I'll again drift over coral/rocks and not be able to determine if I'm too close to them.

I find it really hard to determine depth when I'm snorkeling. Does anyone else have this problem?

• 2 weeks later...

don't know if this would help you but. When I get into the water, it's normally 2-3 feet deep. I can tell how far out I'm going if my arms can't reach the sand anymore. If I come up to something, then I know I better back off and take a look above water to see what is coming towards me.....

I float on top and if there is anything that needs a closer look, I stop, look around, hold my breath and go...... but, I get back to the top pretty fast.

Just be more observant of the surroundings, things can change in a heart beat.

hope that helps

Archived