Looking into other lines...

mandyc3383

Hi Everyone! I have taken two Carnival cruises and although I have enjoyed my cruises, I was looking to see what other cruise lines offer as well. I have a few different cruise lines in mind and since I know nothing about other cruise lines I was hoping some of the RCI pros could help me out here.

First I was looking into a Canada/New England cruise in August on the Enchantment of the Seas. If anyone has taken the Canada/NE cruise and could offer their opinion I would greatly appreciate it. Also... if anyone has taken the Enchantment of the Seas ship I would be curious to know what you think. I am mainly concerned with the activities and entertainment offered. Is there alot to do? What type of activities are there to do?

Thank you so much! :D

Hi Everyone! I have taken two Carnival cruises and although I have enjoyed my cruises, I was looking to see what other cruise lines offer as well. I have a few different cruise lines in mind and since I know nothing about other cruise lines I was hoping some of the RCI pros could help me out here.

First I was looking into a Canada/New England cruise in August on the Enchantment of the Seas. If anyone has taken the Canada/NE cruise and could offer their opinion I would greatly appreciate it. Also... if anyone has taken the Enchantment of the Seas ship I would be curious to know what you think. I am mainly concerned with the activities and entertainment offered. Is there alot to do? What type of activities are there to do?

Thank you so much! :D

We've done the Canada/New England cruise during August two years in a row out of Norfolk and Baltimore and thoroughly enjoyed it. The ports were great - with the exeption of Boston where you needed to take a shuttle, you docked right downtown in each of them (tendered into Bar Harbor) so you could walk to everything. We sailed on Enchantment several years ago, before she was "stretched", and thought it was a very nice ship. We haven't been on her since she was stretched, but are planning to cruise on her next year when she replaces Grandeur coming into Norfolk.

Never having sailed on Carnival, I can't speak to the "activities" versus those on Enchantment, but we've always found something to do. I would give the nod to Enchantment, especially because you don't have to go to New York to get the ship.

Hi Mandy! We share a name and some cruise experience. I've cruised with Carnival six times, with Royal Caribbean twice. My third cruise on RCCL is scheduled for March 2010.

I've never sailed on any of Royal's Vision Class ships, which are the oldest and smallest in their line.

I haven't done a New England/Canada cruise because...well, I live in New England! I cruise to get away from the northeast and the cold weather by cruising the Caribbean during the winter months.

My first cruise on RCCL was on Adventure. That's a Voyager Class ship, which would be more along the lines of Carnival Valor. I have to tell you, I was very impressed coming to RCCL from CCL. I didn't expect to be. I thought of myself as a very loyal Carnival cruiser and took the RCCL cruise based on price and the preferences of my traveling companion. I've cruised on Royal ever since.

I don't think you'll get an accuarate comparison of the two lines going on a Vision Class ship, but I'll give you some general things to expect.

• The Hairy Chest contest becomes the Sexy Legs contest.
  • Activities on RCCL tend to be more "active". My feeling is that Royal tries to market to a young active crowd, as opposed to a young party crowd. (I believe the Rock Climbing walls are on every class. Some ships also have ice skating, in-line skating, basket ball courts, water volley ball, the FlowRider...)
  • Decor is more sophisticated. That may not sound like a big deal. I used to insist that I really LIKED the loud, Vegas-like decor on Carnival. I was surprised to find I preferred the more upscale decor of RCCL. It gives a sense of being more luxurious, without sacrificing the fun element.
  • Ship maintenance is a higher priority on RCCL. When I sailed on Adventure, she was six years old and I would never have known it. She looked BRAND new. You won't find the same wear and tear on RCCL that you often see on CCL.
  • Food in the main dining room is about the same. Best MDR food I've ever had on a cruise was on Carnival Valor. I prefer the casual dining on Royal, because they provide waitstaff in the area. If you like to eat breakfast in the main dining room, rather than the buffet, it's better on Carnival. CCL changes up the breakfast menu, where Royal has the same offerings daily.

Good luck!!!

Interesting comparison, printingchick. I've only been on one cruise (Carnival Inspiration - May 2009) and just book Royal - Monarch of the Sea for next April. I have been reading any/all that I can about Royal Caribbean. I loved Carnival and hope that I am as happy with RCI!! It's a cruise -- so it's going to be great!!:D

Archived