BJ tournaments on HAL Ships

cruisin crazy in Michigan

Hi,

My last HAL cruise (Zaandam Hawaii '07) they had two major BJ tournaments. Buy in was $20, with 3 entries for 2. They give you a fixed stack of chips and you play for a fixed number of hands. They are a "winner-takes-all" where only the winner gets $ ($500 on both tourneys).

If you are in the top 7 winners from the "qualification rounds" you get invited to the final table. Based on your position on the tote board (they put your first name and total chip count on a board for all to see), you get to choose your seat.

I was lucky enough to get into both finals with only one entry each. I emphasize the "winner-takes-all", because I came in second both times.

At least I got a T-shirt.

Good luck...

compucruiser

• 3 weeks later...

I seem to always win 2nd place. My first RCCL cruise (on the Majesty in 1994) I ended up in the finals for the week-long cruise BJ tournament.

It was a grand spectacle, set for the final formal night at 12 midnight.

I squeeked by with my qualification and ended up sitting second to the end.

There I was, feeling good with a martini (shaken, not stirred), in my tux, as a crowd gathered around the table. They called my name and I sat down and greeted the others. -- My name (of course, "Bond, James Bond." ;-)

They passed out $2000 in "fake" chips. Then they dealt 21 hands, moving the "dealer" puck to give everyone a chance at the top of the order.

One fellow bet it all on his first hand. He was out. As the play gradually progressed, the players dropped out, one by one. They took a chip tally at the 18th hand. I was close to the leader in chip count. There were four of us at that point, the other two far behind. The two short stacks bet it all on the next hand. The dealer pulled a blackjack. They were out.

Now it was head to head. I took the last sip of my drink, and carefully counted my opponent's stack. We both played conservatively at the next two hands, betting the minimum, $100. We both lost.

Now it was my turn to bet first. I was about $200 lower than my opponent. I knew that whatever I bet, he would probably bet the same. If we both beat the dealer, he wins. If we both lose to the dealer he wins. I put out $200. He did the same - smart guy, my opponent.

The cards were dealt. He had a 20. Rats. I had a 17. The dealer had a face card. My opponent would stand. I knew the outcome: The only way to win would be to beat the other player. I needed a 4 and the dealer needed to get a 20 or 21.

"Hit me" I said.

"Huh?" the dealer said. The gallery around the table gasped.

"Hit me." I repeated. The dealer nodded.

The dealer slowly pulled a card from the shoe.

It was.....

look down...

a 10.

Like I said, I always end up in 2nd place. I won $500 for it on the RCCL ship plus a T-shirt. First place was $1000. I think 3rd was $250.

Archived