Captain Wright and Olsen begin training

DEIx15x8

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/sfl-oasis-star-center-091109,0,779706.story

This week Captain William S. Wright and Tor Olsen began simulator training along with their 12 man crew in order to prepare to take command of the Oasis.

This article kind of confuses me (besides the exaggeration of new technology that all the voyager and freedom class ships have) because I thought that they were the ones in charge during the sea trial. Shouldn't they have gone through training before that.

I suspect there are stricter requirements for operating a vessel with passengers than there is for operating a vessel without passenegrs. IOW, they probably just need more hours of simulator time before they are certified to operate the ship in revenue service.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/sfl-oasis-star-center-091109,0,779706.story

This week Captain William S. Wright and Tor Olsen began simulator training along with their 12 man crew in order to prepare to take command of the Oasis.

This article kind of confuses me (besides the exaggeration of new technology that all the voyager and freedom class ships have) because I thought that they were the ones in charge during the sea trial. Shouldn't they have gone through training before that.

I don't think the Sea Trial was under Capt. Wright's command. How could it have been when RCCL doesn't own the ship yet? I'll bet it was an STX captain who commanded her. Anyone know?

I'm a pilot and in my opinion -- simulators suck *** sarcastic undertone ***.

It always feels like someone is always trying to kill you. As a matter of fact, they are.

Better in the simulator that in real life.

P.S. I'm in Buffalo and Bills just scored on an interception --- go Bills.

I don't think the Sea Trial was under Capt. Wright's command. How could it have been when RCCL doesn't own the ship yet? I'll bet it was an STX captain who commanded her. Anyone know?

I'm not sure who exactly commanded the ship for the trip but RCCL's videos showed Captain Wright in the bridge showing off the controls.

Capt. Wright wasn't in control for the sea trials. The ship hasn't been sold yet, I'm sure it is on Richard Fain's blog that the shipyard assigned a captain to the ship, as they still own it.

Also quite quirky is the way that the finished cabins are inspected when they are finished, then the locks are changed. A "Sold" sign is placed on the door, and the shipyard no longer owns the cabin, and aren't allowed to enter.

Archived