Splendor or the Spirit?!?

LoveTravel23

Hey CC!!

Well I'm kind of undecided on something and wanted to see how well this post would assist me with my decision.

Well my mom has always wanted to go to Mexico so I'm debating whether to do a cruise or a land vacation.

For cruise I'm debating on the Carnival Splendor going to Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, & Cabo San Lucas or the Carnival Spirit going to Ixtapa & 2 other ports I can't remember now, sorry!!

What do you suggest? & by the way this would take place by late Nov. of next year for that she can be in Mexico for her bday which is 12/04.

Thanx!! :)

I loved the Spirit and the route. I got married onboard the Spirit in Feb 2008. I am leaving on the Splendor in 5 more days so then I could compare them for you!

Thanx!! I was on the Splendor when it was here in Fl. so I look forward to hearing about those ports. I've been hearing great reviews on the Spirit class ships so we'll see.

We have been on the Spirit twice in the last year and a half and leave on her again in 42 days!! That should be an indication of how much we like the Spirit.

We also were on the Splendor in May. It is a nice ship and in our opinion, we think it is a little more crowded, being a larger ship, than the Spirit. Seems like some of the public areas have longer wait lines. But we have plans to go on her again next April or May.

Smitty

Having sailed on both, I would definitely say the Spirit. It is smaller and less 'loud' in design and overall seemed like a nicer ship. Certainly easier to get around.

The two things that I missed on the Spirit were the Rotisserie Restaurant above the Lido Buffet and the ability to get out on deck at the bow of the ship on decks 6 and 7.

Maybe the itinerary will be the deciding factor.

Hey CC!!

Well I'm kind of undecided on something and wanted to see how well this post would assist me with my decision.

Well my mom has always wanted to go to Mexico so I'm debating whether to do a cruise or a land vacation.

For cruise I'm debating on the Carnival Splendor going to Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, & Cabo San Lucas or the Carnival Spirit going to Ixtapa & 2 other ports I can't remember now, sorry!!

What do you suggest? & by the way this would take place by late Nov. of next year for that she can be in Mexico for her bday which is 12/04.

Spirit hands down.... A great class of ships well laid out. Classic cruising.

The Splendor is o.k. but pink, has fake wood decks, and that awful big screen (the stinkotron).

Been on both ships, and without a doubt, the Splendor is far superior in all categories.

Maybe because its Newer. The SPIRT is long and narrow, and you can get from front to back all on one floor.

Hey were going for Christmas, come join us!

Tim

I have done the Spirit 8 day twice and love that cruise. Two sea days, 3 ports (Acapulco, Manzanilla and Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa) and 2 sea days. Love the extra day and San Diego is a great for ease of getting to and from the port.

I have been on the Spirit 4 times as well as the Pride once and am booked for a B2B on the Miracle in 2011, so it's easy to tell it's my favorite class of ship.

If you are thinking about November of 2010, I am trying to organize a Cruisecritic group cruise for that time for either the Splendor or the Spirit (depending on what the majority of people vote for). Here's the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1058660

I hope you'll consider joining us. We just need 8 cabins to go forward with becoming an official group and we have 4 to 6 interested so far.

Liking the comments on which ship but what about the ports of call...any difference in the stops it makes?!?

Acapulco I could take or leave, Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa is a great port and worth the whole trip. Manzanillo is a good place to do an all inclusive excursion. Having done both iten's I would take the Spirit again in a heart beat! :)

For a first Mexican vacation I would recommend a land based all-inclusive trip to Puerto Vallarta. Awesome. We fell in love with PV on our '06 Pride cruise and have been back twice and will probably go again in February.

The Splendor's itenerary is good. We sailed on the Spirit in January and LOVED it. GREAT itenerary. San Diego is a wonderful home port.

We haven't been on the Splendor yet, but did the same itinerary a couple of years ago on the Pride. We just did the Spirit's itinerary this past February. Loved everything about the Spirit and prefer its itinerary, especially the Ixtapa stop. Could have done without Acapulco, but you don't know that until you've tried it, right? Were I you, I'd choose the Spirit. It was a great vacation.

Hey CC!!

I never cruise for the ship, but if I did, I would sail on the Splendor again. She is a beauty and as of this second, the biggest. The Dream is coming out, I believe, next month. Bigger is not necessarily the best but in this case it is true. She is a bit pink ;) but it did not bother me. I love Mexico, so I would choose this one.

We have been on the Spirit twice and she is a great ship, smaller than the Splendor but a bit easier to get around. Where will the Spirit be going? I know she is in Alaska and Hawaii, the cruises we have taken, but where does she go then?

Which ever ship you choose; you will be on the best.

I cannot speak for Splendor but I loved the Spirit

Very nice ship .The crew was SUPER nice to me .They gave me a GREAT table on my BTB in Alaska

It was wonderful ,cabins are comfortable,layout is easy ,food was fine,shows were enjoyable ...very nice cruise

I have cruised both itineraries and would pick the Spirit iten hands down! Loved all the ports. I haven't been on the Splendor however so can't compare the ships. Thus far the Spirit and Miracle are my favorites. We have the Spirit booked for Dec. Good Luck with your decision!:)

I think that for a first time cruise to the Mexican Riviera, the northern route is probably better. Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, & Mazatlan all have a good selection of things to do. Cabo is great for a beach day or snorkeling. It's also a fairly easy port to do things on your own. Puerto Vallarta has tequila tours, zipline tours, jungle tours & the malecon at night. Mazatlan has Stone Island, city tours, and horseback riding.

In comparison Acapulco has the cliff divers, some nice beaches, some excursions and that's about it. Ixtapa is great for a beach day. Manzanillo is probably the most challenged port for activities. There are a couple of beaches and a tour that goes up in the mountains to the colonial town of Colima and close to an active volcano but not much else except a few other excursions.

The southern itinerary will give you an extra "at sea" day which we love.

We like both routes and are doing the Spirit again in Nov.

Maybe because its Newer. The SPIRT is long and narrow, and you can get from front to back all on one floor.

Hey were going for Christmas, come join us!

Tim

I believe you may be correct in saying the Splendor is far superior because she is new. Carnival does have a reputation for going "all out" on their new ships. We did Princess' newest ship, the Ruby; and unfortunately, they don't seem to follow that rule. It had the worst service, cuisine, and entertainment of any Princess ship we have been on, and we've been on plenty of them!

We just had this debate for our next cruise. We have decided on the Spirit. Acapulco, Ixtapa/Zih and Manzanillo. We decided to go on this one becuase it seems a bit more off the beaten path as the cruise ships go and as tourists go.

Did a week in Cancun and enjoyed it (ruins and great snorkeling) but I think I prefer a cruise in Mexico. I like seeing different ports and for me a day is enough.

Jen in SoCal

Hey CC!!

I love the Spirit and I'm sailing on the 5 day October 2010. Have not sailed the Splendor yet but the itinerary I have done and it was a good itinerary. I personally would do the Spirit and here is my reasons:

1. The ship layout is the best

2. Less crowded on the ship

3. San Diego port is far superior IMO to Los Angeles and has good seating while waiting to board. LA was horrible in this respect where you sat outside in elements.

4. I love San Diego for a pre or post cruise. My favorite city on earth.

5. I haven't taken this itinerary so I'd be interested in new ports but for me its all about the ship and less about the ports.

For a first Mexican vacation I would recommend a land based all-inclusive trip to Puerto Vallarta. Awesome. We fell in love with PV on our '06 Pride cruise and have been back twice and will probably go again in February.

The Splendor's itenerary is good. We sailed on the Spirit in January and LOVED it. GREAT itenerary. San Diego is a wonderful home port.

Before we booked this trip we looked into PV for a land all inclusinve.

The price for air fare AND 4 nights @ the Melia was just as high as a 8 night cruise on the Spirt.

We have been to PV over a dozen times. Can't go wrong with that city.

I have sailed the Spirit and the Splendor. My Splendor cruise got rerouted due to a Hurricane Jimena and went to Catalina, Ensenada and Cabo so I can't elaborate on Puerta Vallarta.

On the Spirit I had my son, 6 a the time with me. It was a nice ship and I liked that you could walk through the main deck area with having to go up and down. I loved the ports of call, except Acapulco which is a bit like LA on the beach. You can get away from the hussle and bussle.

While the Splendor is shiny and new, WHAT were they thinking. It looked like someone threw up Pink Zebra stripes all over the ship. It actually gave me a headache to walk in the public areas. First ship I have ever been on that I would walk down the guest hallways over the public areas because the decor was so tacky. I did not have my son with me on the Splendor and did appreciate the seperate adult only pool and jacuzzis on the Aft lido. The enforced the no children allowed and it made for more relaxation. They also put an adult only area towards the bow on deck 10 or 11 with nicer lounge chairs with cushions, etc... Then they put the minature golf area right above it, so you heard the kids and families playing. No big deal, but not quite serine. The main Lido pool area was overflowing with children and load music/movies, etc.... I did not stay there at all since I didn't have to.

Sailing again, I would choose the Spirit.

Have fun,

I'm not the OP, but want to thank everyone for replying to this thread anyway - you all just helped me decided which ship to take for my 2nd solo cruise next year.

Yukon111, looks like we'll be onboard the Spirit at the same time. :)

Archived