NCL Pearl or Princess Golden

fedorad

Which cruise to Pic  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which cruise to Pic

• NCL Pearl
    • Princess Golden

The cruises we are looking at have the same schedule. About about us: We are 31 years old. Not big party people. We are not looking to eat at the exact same time each night nor want to sit at a table with a bunch of other people. We are active, like to be doing something, exploring, not necessarily sitting in the room.

I appreciate your opinions and expertise.

I've only been on one Princess cruise (Caribbean Princess), but it was my absolute favorite. Plus, I just got off the NCL-Pearl a week or so ago... was NOT at all impressed with service or food (and I am not at ALL picky when it comes to food!), so I voted for Princess! (P.S. I'm 31 also, and don't drink, so I think we may have similar tastes :) )

Did you look at touring options? The times in ports differ slightly, offering you some ports with more time, some with less...this may make a difference depending on what you are looking to do in each port. I'd spend an hour or two looking over possible shore excursions and see if that makes a difference.

The Golden offers 2 extra hours in Juneau, but 2 hours less in Ketchikan and 1 hour less in Victoria (or you could look at it as you have 2 hours less in Juneau on the Pearl but 2 extra hours in Ketchikan and 1 extra hour in Victoria).

We've sailed on the Golden, and loved it. Our only cruise on NCL was on the Spirit, and we said "never again." The biggest problem was with their anytime dining. Since EVERYONE's on anytime (there's no scheduled, traditional seating), it meant that EVERYONE wanted to eat dinner at the same time. Most nights we waited at least an hour, and that was just with the 2 of us. If we'd been a larger group, it probably would have been a much longer wait for a table. Also, the food was mediocre.

Good luck with your choice.

Mary Ellen

Our one and only cruise was the Inside Passage on the Star Princess (which I believe is a sister ship to the Golden) this summer and we had a fantastic time. The food was great, service was fine, ship was beautiful, never had a wait to eat in the dining room (anytime dining). I can't comment on NCL, but I don't think you can go wrong with Princess.

The cruises we are looking at have the same schedule. About about us: We are 31 years old. Not big party people. We are not looking to eat at the exact same time each night nor want to sit at a table with a bunch of other people. We are active, like to be doing something, exploring, not necessarily sitting in the room.

I appreciate your opinions and expertise.

We've been on the Pearl twice to Alaska and have booked her again for next May. I believe the Golden goes to Tracy Arm Fjord (at least she did this year) while the Pearl goes to Glacier Bay. A Glacier Bay itinerary would be my preference.

The Pearl has a climbing wall and a bowling alley if those interest you. However with all the magnificent scenery Alaska has to offer, we spend a lot of time on our balcony and out on the decks enjoying all the beauty of Alaska.

Archived