Need advice please...

mandyc3383

I'm trying to decide on what to do and where to go for vacation next year.

The two choices are:

A 7 day cruise on Carnival Dream to Mexico or a Disney land/sea vacation with a 4 day cruise on Wonder.

Now one of the big considerations is that the vaca will be in August. We do not want to vacation somewhere where it is unbearably hot and miserable. We expect heat and humidity in both places but would prefer the lesser of the evils I suppose.

What would you chose? Thanks!

Well both places will be hot and humid, no way to escape that.

If you do a land sea with DCL the parks are going to be hot and you will be out in them. Although we would go at opening to a park then during the hottest part of the day, go back to the hotel and relax in the pool and even take a nap so we were all refreshed to go back in the evening when the sun goes down. That worked pretty good. If you try to stay all day in the parks you will be hot and cranky guaranteed. But it is doable.

The ship on a 4 day is Nassau and CC. Nassau you can even stay on the ship if you want where its got AC, they always have something to do.

The Atlanits Aquarium is 90% inside in the AC so you could do that as an excursion and not have to be in the heat too long.

7 day is an awesome cruise but if you want to see the ports and I assume you do, you better realise you will be out in extereme humidity and heat to do that. Again you could stay on board the Dream and would have AC but your paying a lot of money to just stay on a ship for 7 days.

I know for us I would take DCL. but that is just me.

I have done Carnival Glory and had a bad cruise. So I will never do Carnival again. But there is no reason to think the Dream would be like our cruise was. It was just oen of those times when everything went wrong.

I am about to do my 20th DCL cruise and have not had a bad crusie yet.

Some are better than others but never had a rude CM or a bad crusie. Due to weather we have missed one port. But there is always that chance.

Good luck with your decision. Too bad you couldnt do a winter cruise the temps are perfect.

Mom x4, grandma x4,

Thank you for your reply! I went to DW for the first time last January and loved it! The weather was amazing and I had a great time there! I have been on two other cruises, both with Carnival and have enjoyed those as well. I have never been on a Disney cruise and am very interested to see what they offer. The rotational dining and the activities and shows really appeal to me.

Although I would love to see Mexico and would like to go on Carnival's brand new ship, I am not sure I would like to do it in the dead of August. But I can also imagine what being in Florida in August must be like. Unfortunately due to our work schedules the only month we can vacation is August. The way I see it is a vacation in August is better than none at all. :D We are pretty easy going people and will make the best of most situations... However we want to try to avoid making ourselves miserable.

I've been trying to weigh out the pros and cons and I figure in DW we have the best bet of beating the heat cause most rides have AC, as well as the resturaunts and indoor buildings. Plus we can work our schedule around the hottest part of the day. Besides it's not like we're going to be out in the parks for 7 days straight... it's only for about 4 days. We took a cruise to the caribbean this August and loved the weather so I am not concerned about Nassau or Castaway Key. Something just keeps drawing me back to Disney. lol :p

I meant to post this last night but got sidetracked.

We usually vacation in late August. Theres a reason we do late August.

Most importantly if you campare a 4 day cruise that leaves at the end of the month, to one that leaves at the beginning, youll see a large difference in prices.

The heat really isnt that bad, at the end of the month.The ships are air conditioned,and it never seems to be unbearable heat. Especially when the ship is moving.Even the islands have a nice breeze, and there is always the water to cool off in at CC.

The parks themselves arent bad heat wise either.All of the attractions, have moving air over them and usually have misting fans also.The rides, rest and attractions all have a/c in them also.

As far as which is better,DCL or Carnival, its users choice. The big question I would ask is regarding the Carnival cruise is how soon after she enters service, is the cruise that you are looking at? Its not unusal for the first several cruises to have issues, as the ship works out her bugs, and starts to get her personality.

The other thing I would look at is are you traveling with kids? No one does kids better than Disney, whether its on the DCL, or in the parks.

The Carnival ship will be in service for about 9 months I think by the time the August cruise rolls around. So the kinks should be worked out by then. We don't have any kiddies to factor in... so that is not an issue. I know it's hard because it's a subjective thing. Some people love the heat. Some people live where it is hot now and think that 90 is cool. I don't mind the heat... I just hate humidity, which is inevitable. I guess I'm trying to reason which place is easier to escape the heat if it gets too bad.

Thanks so much for your opinion! I posted the same post on the Carnival board and got so many replys... mostly to go on the Carnival Cruise. I was wondering if anyone on the Disney board would have an idea.

Oh, tough choice! Both of these are on my to-do list!! :p I love both Carnival and Disney immensely, so I can definitely understand the dilemma. However, I will say that I have been loving seeing all of the new pictures of the Dream coming out and sailing that Western Caribbean itinerary is a big deal for me as we haven't made it to that area yet. The Dream just looks fantastic (much as I suspect the new Disney ships will be as well) so if it were me, I'd probably come down on the side of the Dream. But, what a wonderful dilemma to have, no bad options! :D

We did the land/sea last aug ('09). We are from Fl so hot is normal to us. If you stay at a Disney resort you can get into the parks early and beat the crowds and heat; take the bus back to your hotel to get out of the afternoon heat or rain shower then head back out in the evening.

As for heat on the ship - you're on the water and you have ocean breezes and/or boat breezes so it's great for relaxing by the pool (especially after DW).

The only problem with this vacation was I wish I had a week at DW and on the cruise.

Somehow Grandma x's 4, skipped a whole summer. Dream to sail 2011, not next summer. Metrowon

The OP and mom x4,grandma x4's reply referred to the CARNIVAL Dream, not the Disney Dream. Carnival Dream was delivered on Sept 18 and begins its inaugural cruise tomorrow, Sept 21.

The OP and mom x4,grandma x4's reply referred to the CARNIVAL Dream, not the Disney Dream. Carnival Dream was delivered on Sept 18 and begins its inaugural cruise tomorrow, Sept 21.

Don't you wish Disney had come up with something more original....or at least gone with Dreams instead of Dream:D

Archived