Any holes in my pre-cruise plans?

klepton

Hey all! I'm hoping someone can give me some assurances or let me know of any pitfalls with plan for a pre-cruise stay in PR. Cruise leaves SJ on Sunday, we arrive at SJU at 1:00 on Thursday.

I'll start by saying DW and I don't usually go off on our own, we pretty much always do tours that pick us up from the hotel. That said...

My plan is to rent a car when we arrive in San Juan, and drive straight out to Fajardo. From there we would catch the 4:30 ferry to Vieques Island. I'm guessing that if we land at 1:00, we could get a car and be leaving the airport by 2:00. So 2 and a half hours should be more than enough time to get to Fajardo.

After getting off the ferry, probably around 5:45, we'd go get settled into a hotel or B&B, and then go for an evening swimming tour of the biobay. After that we'd grab a late dinner and go back to the hotel to call it a day.

Friday morning we'd get up bright and early and catch the 6:30 AM ferry back to Fajardo, arriving back at port around 7:45 AM. We'd get in our car and drive out to El Yunque for a 9:00 Ziplining tour. After finishing that around 1:00, we'd grab a bite to eat somewhere and go hike some of the trails in the rainforest. About 4:00 we'd start heading back to San Juan, stopping at El Rinconcito Dulce on the way back for some Ice Cream.

We'd get back to San Juan around 7:00, return the car, and check into the Sheraton Old San Juan. Go grab a bite to eat and maybe a few drinks, take in the nightlife and go back to the hotel to hit the sack.

Saturday would be fully dedicated to exploring OSJ, and we'd stay at the Sheraton again Sat night. Sun we'll board the cruise ship.

Are there any holes in this plan? Have I planned enough time to get everywhere? I've also considered taking a flight from SJU to Vieques, then renting a car on the way back. My biggest concern is dragging our luggage everywhere, we'll probably have 4 suitcases with us.

Anyway, any tips would be greatly appreciated!

It seems like a very organized and thought plan...

Umm.. Do you have a car for Vieques? Have you done any reservation for sleeping that night?? Even though it is a small island you may need some sort of transportation.

For the OSJ and Fajardo parts it seems pretty good... and since you guys don't have a tight schedule I would stay with the Ferry (different experience, you go with locals and is cheaper!!!).

Definitely go out around the OSJ streets on friday and saturday night.

Hoe you enjoy the time here.

Thanks for your comments.

I was planning on staying at Casa de Amistad on Vieques, which according to the map is right next to the ferry terminal so I shouldn't need a car on the island. I'm assuming whatever biobay tour I do will pick us up from the hotel.

You wouldn't happen to know how safe the parking is at the ferry in Fajardo? We'll likely be leaving the rental car there overnight, and probably leave most of our luggage in the car so we don't have to drag it all on the ferry to the island and back. Do you think it would be safe there?

Also, I don't suppose anyone could give me rough driving times from Fajardo to El Yunque, and then from El Yunque to Old San Juan? I'm guessing my drive times are good based on distance on a map, but I have no idea what the terrain and traffic is.

Thanks a bunch!

Hey all! I'm hoping someone can give me some assurances or let me know of any pitfalls with plan for a pre-cruise stay in PR. Cruise leaves SJ on Sunday, we arrive at SJU at 1:00 on Thursday.

I'll start by saying DW and I don't usually go off on our own, we pretty much always do tours that pick us up from the hotel. That said...

My plan is to rent a car when we arrive in San Juan, and drive straight out to Fajardo. From there we would catch the 4:30 ferry to Vieques Island. I'm guessing that if we land at 1:00, we could get a car and be leaving the airport by 2:00. So 2 and a half hours should be more than enough time to get to Fajardo.

After getting off the ferry, probably around 5:45, we'd go get settled into a hotel or B&B, and then go for an evening swimming tour of the biobay. After that we'd grab a late dinner and go back to the hotel to call it a day.

Friday morning we'd get up bright and early and catch the 6:30 AM ferry back to Fajardo, arriving back at port around 7:45 AM. We'd get in our car and drive out to El Yunque for a 9:00 Ziplining tour. After finishing that around 1:00, we'd grab a bite to eat somewhere and go hike some of the trails in the rainforest. About 4:00 we'd start heading back to San Juan, stopping at El Rinconcito Dulce on the way back for some Ice Cream.

We'd get back to San Juan around 7:00, return the car, and check into the Sheraton Old San Juan. Go grab a bite to eat and maybe a few drinks, take in the nightlife and go back to the hotel to hit the sack.

Saturday would be fully dedicated to exploring OSJ, and we'd stay at the Sheraton again Sat night. Sun we'll board the cruise ship.

Are there any holes in this plan? Have I planned enough time to get everywhere? I've also considered taking a flight from SJU to Vieques, then renting a car on the way back. My biggest concern is dragging our luggage everywhere, we'll probably have 4 suitcases with us.

Anyway, any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Since you are only going to Vieques for the BioBay, save the trouble and wasted travel time/worry and just stay on the main land and take the fast Catamaran over and back that same evening. There is one company that does this- do a google search for "catamaran Vieques" and you should find some info.

I suggest- you arrive, get your car, check into the hotel. Maybe you want to look into a place near Fajardo (maybe in Luquillo or Fajardo) for the night. Drive to Fajardo marina, get the catamaran trip- enjoy drinks, dinner, the BioBay, the boat ride there and back, then drive back to hotel.

Sleep later the next am, then do your zip line etc. You just have too much rushing in your current plan.

Rainforestgirl, thanks for the idea of the catamaran info. I've found their website, and emailed for info (since they don't give a price on their site, and might not even go the night we have available since it's shortly after the full moon).

I had another question that I needed to ask someone who lives there...if the catamaran doesn't pan out, I might go ahead and go over to Vieques for the night. However, I was loathe to do that since it means leaving the island on the day of our cruise. So, my question is...is the weather ever so bad that you couldn't get back from Vieques either by boat or plane (assuming you're not in the middle of a hurricane, in which case there's no reason to worry about getting to the cruise ship on time!)

Rainforestgirl, thanks for the idea of the catamaran info. I've found their website, and emailed for info (since they don't give a price on their site, and might not even go the night we have available since it's shortly after the full moon).

I had another question that I needed to ask someone who lives there...if the catamaran doesn't pan out, I might go ahead and go over to Vieques for the night. However, I was loathe to do that since it means leaving the island on the day of our cruise. So, my question is...is the weather ever so bad that you couldn't get back from Vieques either by boat or plane (assuming you're not in the middle of a hurricane, in which case there's no reason to worry about getting to the cruise ship on time!)

It costs $109, but you are right- the end of Feb is not good viewing, so they won't be going.

Honestly, unless you are going to Vieques for a few days and have a rental car there, and have time to relax and explore the beaches, don't bother going. The ferry can be rough and unpredictable and takes about 1 hr each way, plus time to buy tickets and board etc. If it is a Friday you are thinking about, that may be busy, it is possible for the ferry to sell out. For 1 night, then having to get back for a 9am tour...believe me- it is not worth it. It will be all travel and nothing to see! It gets dark about 6:15pm that time of year, stores close early etc.

It would be odd for both the ferry and planes to be grounded. The planes have a weight limit for luggage 25lbs I think. So your 4 bags will cost you $$. But there are always odd happenings.

Thanks for your comments.

I was planning on staying at Casa de Amistad on Vieques, which according to the map is right next to the ferry terminal so I shouldn't need a car on the island. I'm assuming whatever biobay tour I do will pick us up from the hotel.

You wouldn't happen to know how safe the parking is at the ferry in Fajardo? We'll likely be leaving the rental car there overnight, and probably leave most of our luggage in the car so we don't have to drag it all on the ferry to the island and back. Do you think it would be safe there?

Also, I don't suppose anyone could give me rough driving times from Fajardo to El Yunque, and then from El Yunque to Old San Juan? I'm guessing my drive times are good based on distance on a map, but I have no idea what the terrain and traffic is.

Thanks a bunch!

And Vieques is VERY laid back and casual. In that area, there are about 2 restaurants- one a bar place for sunset watching, the other on the street looked ok.

The Fajardo lot is safe, I assume your stuff should be fine in the car.

Drive times from Fajardo to the zip line place is about 20 mins. From El Yunque to OSJ (depends on the day), but assume 1hr-1.5 hrs (if it is a weekend afternoon).

It costs $109, but you are right- the end of Feb is not good viewing, so they won't be going.

Honestly, unless you are going to Vieques for a few days and have a rental car there, and have time to relax and explore the beaches, don't bother going. The ferry can be rough and unpredictable and takes about 1 hr each way, plus time to buy tickets and board etc. If it is a Friday you are thinking about, that may be busy, it is possible for the ferry to sell out. For 1 night, then having to get back for a 9am tour...believe me- it is not worth it. It will be all travel and nothing to see! It gets dark about 6:15pm that time of year, stores close early etc.

It would be odd for both the ferry and planes to be grounded. The planes have a weight limit for luggage 25lbs I think. So your 4 bags will cost you $$. But there are always odd happenings.

Different person here...I'm going the first Sat. in Nov., which appears to be a great night, according to the calendar. Living in Alaska, I frequently tell people you're doing nothing but driving...cover fewer miles and see more! So I appreciate your take on the travel. I am looking forward to hearing back from the catamaran company, and hope this excursion is a go. In that case, we will probably want to spend Sat. night in Fajardo rather than drive back to San Juan. Or possibly spend Fri. and Sat. night someplace in between San Juan and Fajardo...any recommendations? We don't need 5-star, but we're willing to pay for clean and comfortable.

Different person here...I'm going the first Sat. in Nov., which appears to be a great night, according to the calendar. Living in Alaska, I frequently tell people you're doing nothing but driving...cover fewer miles and see more! So I appreciate your take on the travel. I am looking forward to hearing back from the catamaran company, and hope this excursion is a go. In that case, we will probably want to spend Sat. night in Fajardo rather than drive back to San Juan. Or possibly spend Fri. and Sat. night someplace in between San Juan and Fajardo...any recommendations? We don't need 5-star, but we're willing to pay for clean and comfortable.

Yes, the moon looks good for you. You will love that trip! The best experience- magical.

I know a real nice place ;-) but it is booked!

But there are other places- of course there is the large resorts, in Rio Grande, but you can find something nice if you look at VR, B&B's or villas. And there are even smaller hotels-check for places in Rio Grande, Luquillo - Inns or villas or in Fajardo there is a nice B&B also (I can't give names, but do a search online). If you look on Trip advisor, they have reviews for places- speciality lodging or Vacation rentals.

Yes, the moon looks good for you. You will love that trip! The best experience- magical.

I know a real nice place ;-) but it is booked!

But there are other places- of course there is the large resorts, in Rio Grande, but you can find something nice if you look at VR, B&B's or villas. And there are even smaller hotels-check for places in Rio Grande, Luquillo - Inns or villas or in Fajardo there is a nice B&B also (I can't give names, but do a search online). If you look on Trip advisor, they have reviews for places- speciality lodging or Vacation rentals.

Right now I'm looking at Passion Fruit in Fajardo or Luquillo Sunrise Beach Inn. Thumbs up? Thumbs down?

rainforestgirl - Thanks so much for your insights. You've confirmed my fears about trying to cram too much into our short PR stay. I have a very bad habit about that. I think the bottom line is we'll need to visit PR again, and budget enough time to do everything we want to do. For this trip, we'll probably spend all 2.5 days in OSJ.

Thanks a bunch!

Archived