What is new each month during the Alaska cruise season?

jetengines

How does each month differ during the Alaska cruise season. For example, I read that you can really see the whales migrating in late May. Is this the highlight of May? Can you see the whales during June and July? What is the weather like in each of the months?

May

-whale migrating late May

June

-beter weather?

July

August

I am just working in the beginning stages of planning and wanted to try and narrow down my timeframe based on what I can see/do.

Thank you,

Aside from the hours of daylight getting longer in May and June (until the solstice) and getting shorter as you get into August and September, the average temperatures and average amounts of rainfall may vary according to your location, I'm not sure that there are other significant differences that will help you decide when to travel there. Others may be able to offer some other specific advantages for one month over another, but since weather is unpredictable and averages are only that, you will have to take a certain amount of risk no matter what you decide. Prices will be lower during the shoulder seasons but there again there are tradeoffs to be considered. Find a time that works for you and determine a price that seems reasonable and go from there.:)

does HAL provide blankets if we want to sit out at night

There were blankets available on the Glacier Bay day but I don't recall seeing them at other times. Anything is available on request, though. In early May you'll need a buffalo robe not a blanket, though!

Yukon is right - glacier day, they actually pass out blankets. But those blankets are available any time as well - on Lido deck they were in wooden box-like structures that you lifted the lid and viola! there they were. Also saw similar "boxes" on the Promenade deck, and you can just help yourself!

Here is a month by month guide to which animals you are likely to see in Alaska. http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/viewing/southeast.pdf

It is my understanding that you need to travel either very early or very late in the season to see the northern lights.

I remember seeing huge salmon spawning up a shallow stream in Skagway in mid-August a number of years ago. You are also more likely to see bears eating the said salmon later in the season too.

N.

For example, I read that you can really see the whales migrating in late May. Is this the highlight of May? Can you see the whales during June and July? What is the weather like in each of the months?

May

-whale migrating late May QUOTE]

This needs clarification since it has been misquoted a couple times on this board already.

It is NOT correct. The humpbacks are migrating and start to arrive in Alaska end of April/early May. They CONTINUE to migrate through about the third week of May- with a significant drop off in sightings at that time. Peak numbers are about the fist/ second week. This is the most benefit for ROUND TRIP SEATTLE sailing- outside Vancouver Island. For all cruiseships, Dixon Passage, seems to be a "stopping" area with good chance of sightings there, south of Ketchikan, but few people have any idea where they are in Alaska. So consulting with the bridge via the pursers, or the best option- hooking up with your ship naturalist- if one is on board. Get a time estimate of when in the area, then add a couple hours prior. PARK yourself out on a front viewing area, with a good pair of wide angle binoculars- absolutely necessary. Plan on investing a significant amount of time for a couple minutes of viewing. IF you want more, then whale watches are definately the way to go.

It is my understanding that you need to travel either very early or very late in the season to see the northern lights.

QUOTE]

I too will state, you are just about never going to see any Northern Lights from a cruise ship early season, you are already too late. The earliest I have seen them from a ship is Sept., Interior Alaska- end of August. There isn't going to be a peak viewing again until 2012, and IF a priority, you need to park yourself interior Alaska, with Fairbanks my preference for several days. Daily, consult prediction monitors, then spend your nights awake. :)

I've done two winter trips with this priority, 2 weeks each. I wouldn't consider any less.

Good question, and made me think about my own trip.

Has anyone cruised in early May and not seen whales or dolphins?

I know it will be colder - does HAL provide blankets if we want to sit out at night?

thanks

Dolphins are NOT a common sighting, whales are 100% on whale watches, which will be running.

There also is a big difference in what is available between a cruise only- Inside Passage trip and if you are including interior Alaska.

Many people have a "bear" priority, you can see them most of the season, IF you get to Denali Park. From the inside passage- tours don't start until early July. You "may" see them driving the Klondike Highway- which have had many sighting reports this year, but it is PURE chance. My drive had 2, good, extended looks at brown bears.

Moose is extremely rare on the inside passage. I've only seen one once in about 20 trips. Interior Alaska, again, Denali Park will be a given to see moose, and decent chance sightings elsewhere.

Overall, for interior Alaska- it is all about TIME, the more you have the more you have the potential to see. IF you are doing a combo trip, go for as long as you can.

Archived