food food glorious (boring) food

UstolemyNAME

Hi all - I have another question,

I am a teenager (I can hear you all groan) and a very picky teenager as well. Also a very picky teenager with random food allergies which have not been pined down to any particular foods. I'm sure the food served in the resteraunts is very nice - and I WILL try it! - but when I'm in the mood for something basic what is generally avaiable in the Lido part of Lido (not the specialty reservation parts)? All the cunard site will do is tell me about fancy food and sometimes boring is the answer :p

Thanks

I did not groan :). Basic boring (as you call it) food is available in the Dining Rooms and the Lido. In fact I think most of the fare, while quite good is not very exotic. Also there are plenty of choices, so you should be able to find something to your liking.

Denise

They have every kind of basic food in the buffet, you name it and you will find it, they will also make something for you.

you can everything from beans on toast upwards, in fact all I really wanted for lunch was a pizza, i kept seeing them.

have a great time

I say go with a very open mind. I think you will find that you can pretty much have what you want when you want it and where you want it.....within reason. I'm hot for the brownies which appear on the menu sometimes. Janna said she could produce them daily. I did not stop her. She even tossed in a variety of ice cream and/or frozen yoghurt. The pasta station is open until 5:00 in the Lido and with an incredible salad bar and sandwich/soup station I cannot image that you will be disappointed.

I agree, go with an open mind.

As for the food allergy thing, make sure to let your waiter know the first night. I have the same issue (though I have it pinned down to tree nuts), so I know where you're coming from.

On QM2, I was given the next night's menu a night ahead, so I could make my selections and make sure they were edible for me. Also, in one situation at lunch where I ordered Spotted Dick and it came with nuts on it, I alerted them and I was given a new one without the nuts.

The key for that, as with any allergy situation, of course, is communicating it. But on my two trips with Cunard (the situation was different on QE2, basically I was told there were no nuts in anything unless it was mentioned), I have had no issues with food allergies, and they've always been very accommodating.

Thanks for all the help! I have the problem that i dont know what I'm allergic too. I avoid nuts (peanuts are fine for some reason), citrus, mouldy cheese and seafood but every now and then I will have a bad reaction to something I have eaten millions of times before. Not really something easily explained to waiters.

Doctors hate me. It is quite entertaining though! My vocal chords swell and I sound like a chipmunk. The down side is I cant hear it - that and the fact that I'm in danger of choking. Its basicaly a case of if someething happens take medication and wait for it to go away.

Anyway, because of all this cafuffle I tend to avoid foods which mix lots of ingredients together eg. stirfry and sometimes just want safe basics like pizza, spag bol, schnitzle etc - are these what I'm likely to come across in the Lido at dinner and lunch?

Also, it just occured to me, are chocolate cake and biscuits easily accessable? If I'm not able to bake for 6 weeks I will at lease need to eat what other people have created! I might need to take over the kitchens and start baking anyway.....

Breakfast: All the standards are available.

Lunch: In the Kings Court there's a sandwich station every day where a chef makes whatever combo you desire - all basics (turkey, ham, roast beef, a few cheeses) and the stoddard toppings. Sometimes even chicken or tuna salad is too exotic for this station. Also, a grill out on the pool deck that does hamburgers, hotdogs and various wursts, along with onion rings or french fries.

Dinner: In the Britannia dining room, regardless of what's on the menu, you can ALWAYS get chicken (roasted or broiled) or a steak. Just ask the waiter.

See my comment in the "tubs and cookies" message about cookies (aka biscuits). THe bread bakers are very good but the sweets aren't too great (to my taste, they're way too sweet and sugary, rather than buttery). You may want to bring a supply of your favorite biscuits on board as an emergency stash! (I bring a bag of pretzels for late night snacking....)

Archived