First time on Silver Seas

gdlamberth

Well, we're going to get the chance to be SS customers. We're long time Regent fans but have been looking for an opportunity to try SS or Oceania. Gretchen's employer had miscalculated when she'd be eligable for "full retirement." As a result she'll still be working for the school system thru next year. Therefore, we've had to cancel our Regent Navigator Bangkok to Sydney. Couldn't go two whole years with nothing so did some quick looks at this summer and came up with the SS Cloud for a 15 day Norwegian Fjord trip (1-15 July CPH-CPH). Price was one of 60% off fares with "free" air wound up being $8398 for first two. So our per diem rate came out to $559 for a Veranda Suite with air and taxes included. We've done cheaper but Norwegian Fjord cruises seem to run a bit more pricey. Oceania for a PH3 was $9300 or so and Regent Voyager was about $11,500 for similar itineraries. I understand Cloud has the size and "feel" of PG or Diamond (though we never sailed Diamond). Not as elegant perhaps as Voyager or Mariner but I think we'll survive. If anyone has recent experience on Cloud (understand she had a soft good refit in May) I'd love to hear from you. Any particular sight seeing/excursions recommendations(yeah I know we'll have to pay for them) would be appreciated also.

Greg

Oh, this is a beautiful cruise! I did it in July of '08 and am still in awe at the incredible scenery.

The best excursion is out of Geiranger and it's a full day, called "Roof of Norway", ending in Oye. Absolutely the best and most beautiful excursion in my 25 cruises. The second best was in Gravdal, called "The Best of the Lofoten Islands". I highly recommend both of those tours.

In Molde, "The Atlantic Ocean Road and Bud" is so-so -- I'd skip it next time.

You're going to have such a wonderful cruise!

did some quick looks at this summer and came up with the SS Cloud for a 15 day Norwegian Fjord trip (1-15 July CPH-CPH). So our per diem rate came out to $559 for a Veranda Suite with air and taxes included. Oceania for a PH3 was $9300 or so and Regent Voyager was about $11,500 for similar itineraries.
So if the Oceania voyage is also 15 days, it comes out at $620 per diem, more expensive than Silversea. Silversea includes tips and drinks, while Oceania does not, so add the average for those, Oceania becomes $650 per diem, 16% higher than Silversea while both include airfare.

If this is true on a regular basis, then Oceania will have become a true premium cruise line, in price besides food and service. Usually, Silversea's per diem are lower in the Caribbean, close to or below Oceania, while its European fares are much higher than Oceania. Is this changing too? Or perhaps your cited Oceania comparison is a much longer voyage?

The Oceania itinerary was 18 days and athe $9300 estimate didn't yet include port taxes about $400 per person so that's about $540 per diem (I thought it included gratuities but maybe not). I was also looking at a PH3 so the suites are aboutthe same size. Killer issue was that all Concierge levels and PHs were wait listed. Ocenaia had offered a really promo rate thru 31 August but we missed that. WE did have to go up to deck 6 to find a triple availability so that also drove up the per diem on Silver Seas a bit. Bottom line I youldn't use my numbers to set a 5% accuracy comparison. However, for this very particular itinerary, at this date (missing some end of year promos by Oceania and Regent) Silver Seas seemed to have the best deal available.

Greg

Well, we're going to get the chance to be SS customers. We're long time Regent fans but have been looking for an opportunity to try SS or Oceania. Gretchen's employer had miscalculated when she'd be eligable for "full retirement." As a result she'll still be working for the school system thru next year. Therefore, we've had to cancel our Regent Navigator Bangkok to Sydney. Couldn't go two whole years with nothing so did some quick looks at this summer and came up with the SS Cloud for a 15 day Norwegian Fjord trip (1-15 July CPH-CPH). Price was one of 60% off fares with "free" air wound up being $8398 for first two. So our per diem rate came out to $559 for a Veranda Suite with air and taxes included. We've done cheaper but Norwegian Fjord cruises seem to run a bit more pricey. Oceania for a PH3 was $9300 or so and Regent Voyager was about $11,500 for similar itineraries. I understand Cloud has the size and "feel" of PG or Diamond (though we never sailed Diamond). Not as elegant perhaps as Voyager or Mariner but I think we'll survive. If anyone has recent experience on Cloud (understand she had a soft good refit in May) I'd love to hear from you. Any particular sight seeing/excursions recommendations(yeah I know we'll have to pay for them) would be appreciated also.

Greg

You'll love Norway. Did it on old Royal Princess with 14 days of picture postcard weather. Saw best green flash ever squezzed on a golden slate sea at one in the morning before crossing the Artic Circle. Fantastic. Enjoy!

Archived