LAX Flight

Cookie2boys

I will try not to make this confusing...... so here we go, bare with me. I have a flight Sunday after Thanksgiving out of LAX on Airtran at 10:55 p.m. The flight before that leaves at 12:50 p.m. and I decided not to chance it with that one. If by chance I'm able to make it through security and to the Airtran desk, would I be able to fly standby for the 12:50 flight.

If yes, 1. Would I be allowed to check in luggage that early eventhough my flight was booked for 10:55 p.m? 2. Will my luggage arrive with the later flight? 3. Will I be assigned my seats AT LAX for the connecting flight out of ATL.

I'm not sure how any of this would work or if any of it is at all possible, that's why I have to rely on you. :D

First off, I am not familiar with Airtran specifically but here's some general comments.

Sunday after Thanksgiving is a peak travel day and planes will probably be very full. That's even more true in your case; LAX-ATL is a prime route for people returning to the East Coast and Airtran has reduced capacity just like other airlines. I wouldn't give much of a chance you will get standby...your chances increase if you are alone versus a party of 4 or even just a couple. Also, if there are any "distressed" passengers who were bumped from previous flights, they will be accomodated before you. If you do get on the earlier flight then you have the same issue in ATL. Either there will be a long wait in ATL for your orginal connecting flight or your luggage will probably arrive on that flight even if you get an earlier one . The only certain way to have your bags arrive with you is take carry-on only, or not accept a standby flight unless *both* legs are confirmed.

Others may have Airtran-specific comments. I personally would find something to do in LA versus a probable long wait in ATL and/or not being sure when your luggage will arrive at your home airport.

From Airtran's website: http://www.airtran.com/policies/checkin_information.aspx

Changes at the Airport on Day of Travel

Customers have two options for changing to a flight other than their reserved flight at the airport on the day of travel. Based on space availability, customers may reserve a confirmed seat on an earlier flight to the same destination for $49 per person per segment. Or, customers have the option to standby for another flight to the same destination at no charge. These options are only available at the airport on the day of travel.

So you have a choice of flying confirmed or stand-by for the earlier flight If you get to the airport in time and meet the check-in cutoff. My recommendation would be to spend the 49$ and fly confirmed. If you fly standby, your bags will be tagged for your booked flight, and a standby tag will be put on them and they are set aside in a baggage hold room. When you get to the gate, and you are able to actually get on the flight, you are reliant on the gate agent to call to the bag room to release your bags to be boarded with the flight. Sounds easy enough, but lots of times that call doesn't get made in enough time for your bags to actually be transported from the bag room and loaded on your flight. Given that you are flying the Sunday after Thanksgiving, with high loads that day, by not going confirmed you run an high risk (in my estimation) in ensuring your bags don't fly with you.

As for your subsequent q's 1-3, I will defer those to whom actually fly AirTran and their collective experience.

Scott.

Archived