Oosterdam in May

gigivic

Going on O for May 14th out of Seattle. What nights are the formal nights on board? Is the O light and airy with lots of windows like maybe the Vision class on Royal Caribbean? I have alot of sea sickness and the windows help. I can't handle the closed in feeling. Does anyone know of a better sea sickness remendy than phenergan (shots and pills). I'm going to my ENT before the cruise for something stronger but I don't want to sleep through the cruise either. I love crusing and said last time that I would never cruise again but here I go again.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had really good success with Draminine Non-Drowsy. It's actually the same medication as Antivert, which my Dr has perscribed for me for Vertigo. The trick is to take it the first sign you have of any queesy feeling. We sailed on the Century on 9/18/05. We were the only ship to stay in the Eastern Caribbean as Hurrican Jeanne was coming in. The Captain did an incredible job of keeping us out of both bad weather and high seas except for one afternoon and evening. I must say the horizon was really dipping one way and then the other. I actually took the Draminine Non-Drowsy with a Martini, and it doesn't make me tired at all!

Oh yes, I've been on the Oosterdam. I wouldn't say it has all kinds of glass like the Vision class RCCL ships, but she is a beautiful beautiful ship! We had an AFT balcony whic was was a really choice!

Have a great cruise!

Sharon

Gigivic: We will be disembarking from the Oosterdam on the 14th as you will be embarking!

Generally, on HAL's 7 day cruises, the first formal night is typically on the 2nd night, usually a sea day. Then, the 2nd formal night is usually the night before the last night of the cruise. The last night of the cruise is usually casual dress.

This will be our first cruise on a HAL Vista-Class ship, so I cannot comment on what it is like as compared to other ships but the Oosterdam is getting pretty good reviews from most recent cruisers over on the HAL sub-forum.

Hope this helps!

We just did the New Year's cruise on the Oosterdam and have her booked for 7/2 Alaska. We experienced 15 foot seas and gale force winds and the ship handled it just fine. We don't get seasick so I can't tell you how you will feel. Plenty of light and windows though.

Archived