Pre-purchase bar credit coupons?

Miss Kellybean

I purchased the drink coupons on my second cruise. They were great for paying for DOD on the Lido, while strolling around the ship, or hanging out on the Promenade. Some think they are a waste of time and money, but they worked for me.

I do not think they are a waste of time or money. It is a nice gift to yourself and you do not have it on your S&S card :D I am going to get some for my DH and I for our next cruise.

A friend of mine got some because she said she wanted to control the amount of alcohol that she drank. Did it work, Yes. She allowed herself so many per day and she said that she would do it again that way. Before she did this, when she was on a cruise she spent three times this on drinking and when she would get her final bill, she was shocked at how many drinks that were on the bill. She did keep all the little receipts that she signed and the statement was correct, but like she said, she was shocked at how much she did drink the first time. For me, I get the soda card, but on my next cruise, I am going to take my own sodas much, much cheaper.

I to was reading the boards and based on the responses to simular past questions on this topic I decided to purchase a few coupons for our upcoming cruise. It seems 50/50 -some think they're worth purchasing and others don't. I think this will be a way for me to keep track of my bill, so I won't be too shocked on the last day. We pre-paided a few items in order to minimize our overall bill. :) I guess it's really up to you and how much alcohol you plan to consume. I plan to consume a lot! :D

So I noticed that one could prepurchase a 4-pack of bar coupons for $21.95 (grat. included). What do y'all think...should I do it?

i get them for each cruise and if i have any left over they are good for the next cruise i go on. i got my drink of the day for $1.15 with a bar coupon and the drink of the day glass i kept. they give you a new glass each time. you can also use them for regular drinks. they are a waste for beer since it is cheaper than the value of the coupon. you can also pool them together and get a bottle of wine or a bucket of beer too. yes, get them ahead of time and save money on your sail and sign amount at the end of the cruise. have a great time.

Thanks! I wouldn't consider myself a heavy drinker but on vacay I tend to be a heavy spender and am looking to save a buck where I can. What is it about vacations that make you blow money? :D Anyhow, I was probably going to bring some Gatorade with me in a small cooler - can't have carbonated beverages so a soda card is out of the equation. Am I correct that a bottle of Vodka is a no-no? I felt that it was but read about others that bring it on board without a problem.

So if these coupons are used, you can purchased any priced drink, for example a DOD, and if it costs more than the value of the coupon, the difference is charged to your S&S card?

Just making sure! I was going to get some, but then thought that maybe I had to purchase only for the value of the coupon or less but that is just me thinking too much;)

So if these coupons are used, you can purchased any priced drink, for example a DOD, and if it costs more than the value of the coupon, the difference is charged to your S&S card?

Just making sure! I was going to get some, but then thought that maybe I had to purchase only for the value of the coupon or less but that is just me thinking too much;)

Yes, you can use them for any drinks. If the drink is more than the coupon value (typically $5-6 is what they allow them for, they will put the balance on your S&S card. Sometimes I have seen this done, other times, if you are in good with the waiter or bartender, they tend to forget to charge the extra. These are the ones bought on line. Now, on the ship at any of the bars, you can also buy a DOD coupon book. This is good for 5 DODs(only) and the cost is around $25.

I used them on my last cruise, and bought frozen drinks (maimi vice and pina colada esp) and was never asked to pay the extra, but I know some folks have been asked to. I figure if they don't make me pay the extra I have paid a little more of my cruise up front and saved money as well.

Where and how can we buy the coupons in advance of our cruise? I did not know that these were offered and could be purchased before getting on the ship. Can any amount be purchased and paid for in advance? Please let us know. Thanks

You can buy them on-line under the Gifts and Services tab on Carnival.

They are charged to your credit card, and you can buy as many as you want. The price savings is apprx. 1 drink for every 4 coupons. They come 4 to a sheet. I bought 5 last cruise for my g/f and me and it really wasn't enough. ;) On board at the bar areas you can also buy the DOD coupon book, this too will save you money.

The ones you purchase on line are not given to you until after dinner 6pm first day of the cruise.

We have bought them every week for a while now. We are going on the Legend Oct 18th and we now have 106 drinks.:D What ever we don't use will go to the Dream in Feb. Also we bought fun ship dollars and had them put as an OBC so that ship is really already paid for. I love it.

Me and hubby, however, we also have 2 cruises booked and will book probably the freedom so they will all be paid for. If you think about it 106 divided by 7 days is 15 drinks a day divided by 2 is not that many really. It just sounds like alot.:D

Yes, the difference is charged meaning you need to present the coupon AND your sail & sign...so why not just put it all your sail & sign?

Because at max value, the drink coupons save about 70 cents. And when the overage is charged, you only pay additional gratuity on the overage, not the entire drink amount. So even if your drink coupon doesn't cover the entire cost of the drink, you still save 70 cents. May not seem like much, but a couple who has 4 drinks a day for 7 days will save around $40 for the week. And it helps with budgeting.

We are not drinkers, maybe couple times a year have a drink, but on vacation on this cruise we intend to have some drinks. We will purchase some drink coupons just so they will be prepaid and also asked the kids to just purchase us some coupons for Christmas presents, instead of other gifts, since we are sailing in 2010.

So even if your drink coupon doesn't cover the entire cost of the drink, you still save 70 cents. May not seem like much, but a couple who has 4 drinks a day for 7 days will save around $40 for the week. And it helps with budgeting.

Or they could drink just one less drink per day and save even more. ;)

Archived