Excursion Tipping ?

I always find a good rule of thumb to be 15 to 20 percent depending on the level of service. When times were good and we were ultra happy, we would tip 30 percent. For instance, we went on the VOS in Jan 07 and went with a private vendor from these boards on an excursion to the Puerto Rico rain forest. In the car, I mentioned my love for plantain chips from the Parrot Club. The person dropped us at the top and waited for us at the end of the hiking trail. When we finished and got in the car, I found that he had gone to the store and bought a bag of plantain potato chips for me. How awesome is that! Big tip for him!

For me, I don't pay attention to the dollar amount of the tour (which often has little to nothing to do with how much work the guide has to do/how well he performs). My tip is based on how good a job the guide did and how much he did to make the excursion special/enjoyable for me. I have tipped anywhere from $0 to $10 per/person based on level of service I felt I received.

For me, I don't pay attention to the dollar amount of the tour (which often has little to nothing to do with how much work the guide has to do/how well he performs). My tip is based on how good a job the guide did and how much he did to make the excursion special/enjoyable for me. I have tipped anywhere from $0 to $10 per/person based on level of service I felt I received.

Copy that. DW and I base our tip on the level of service/attitude we receive on the excursion...we are on vacation, so we are looking for an upbeat time, I know it is a job for them, but...;):D

Archived