Stingray City for kids?

Monalisa67

Hi everyone! We'll be in Grand Cayman next month and we want to try the Stingray City excursion with our two kids. My son is 10 years old and my daughter is 6. I was wondering if they're old enough (specially the 6 years old) to do this excursion?

Are they providing life jackets for them or do we have to bring our own? Thank you.;)

Yes, I think the six-year-old could do this IF you can do a little work first. Is there an indoor pool in your town? I think it helps if the little ones can practice with a snorkel first. You can use the snorkel equipment provided on the cruise but there is no guarantee that equipment will fit your children. I would pay for a cheap, but well fitted, snorkel and mask and then use the ship's fins and vests. If you can get the kids some practice in a pool first they should have a great time.

We just did the stingray and snorkel tour with Soto's in November and had a wonderful time. Our daughters ages 5 and 7 had a blast! :) They didn't do the snorkel part of the trip because we thought they were too young for snorkeling in the ocean. But when we swam with the stingrays, they got right in.

The water was only waist deep and we could easily hold the girls in our arms. But before long they were out of our arms and just holding onto our hands. Soto's provided life vests and even put them on the kids themselves. They had a way of putting the vests on so that it didn't float up around their necks and choke them. My girls had such a good time that they insisted on trying to keep one of the baby stingrays as a pet in our bathtub.:eek: We convinced them that it would be a bad thing to take the little baby away from it's mommy.:rolleyes:

Overall, at only $30 for adults and half that for kids, the Soto's tour was not only the best excursion we've ever had, but one of the cheapest! If you need more info., their website is www.sotoscruises.com. I wouldn't go to GC without letting the kids swim with the rays, it was a once in a lifetime experience that we'll never forget!:D

In addition to pool or bathtub snorkel practice, (Excellent advice) consider wetsuits for the kids. My 6 and 10 year old stay in the water longer and like the partial bouyancy from the suits. Try consignment shops to save some money.

Keep in mind that those large stingrays swimming around even freak out adults - I know that I was freaking out and I'm a former Marine! It's a little bizarre to have these animals nearby. Our daughter, then 9 years old, screamed and clinched onto me....she can snorkel, is an award winning swimmer, but the way they swim so close is unnerving. Would I take your kids? absolutely.....once in a lifetime opportunity, but be patient as they may be scared of them. I was!!! ( :

Guest Time2gocruzn

There are 2 different kinds of stingray tours here (although basically in the same area)..one is the Stingray City and one is the stingray sandbar, the way I understand it. The sandbar in in shallower water. We are taking the island tour and stingray sandbar tour with nativeways. Apparently it is in 3-4 foot deep water, so it is easy to hold them while in the water. Heck my kids will be almost 2 and 4 and I am taking them on this excursion. I bet yours would have no problem! There is really no need to wear snorkel equipment on this one, but from what I understand, you can if you want. I have also read here that nativeways guides are wonderful and will hold up a ray for the children to touch should they decide NOT to get out of the boat.

Definitely think you should go... but here's what happened to my 7 year old.

Her first snorkeling event... with Soto's in Grand Cayman. The first two ocean snorkels, she did great! Make sure you use life vest (I did too!). Then we stopped at the stingray sand bar. It was too creepy for her... we had to carry her back to the ship. It was creepy for me too... but so amazing they would swim right up to you and look like they would push you down... but you couldn't really even feel them pass by.

Overall, she had done so well... we signed up for Belize snorkel. Didn't work this time. I had to carry her to the island to swim... she refused to snorkel. We figured for 2 reasons. I think maybe because with Soto... they used old fashion life vest that they somehow put around you a little differently so you could snorkel and she probably felt more secure. The Belize ones were the true snorkel vest... and it keeps you up a little differently.

Then the other reason... she was still freaked out about the stingrays! I think it made her realize what could be in the water... and she didn't want any part of it! She had a blast at the beach and because some in our group just wanted beach time too... it worked fine.

I would do each of them again!

Hope you have a great time!

When we did stingray city the guides noticed that my 8 year old was totally freaked out (so unlike her) The guides brought some rays over to the side of the boat for her to pet. Then they talked her into sitting on the back deck with just her feet dangling in the water. They brought over another ray. It took almost the whole stop to get her to finally get in ( with me still holding her a bit ) so we could take a family picture. The best thing was that we booked a small company with only 20 people on our boat. This gave my kids some added attention from the guides.

I have been to StingRay City a couple of times. Be aware that the water level may be different depending on tides and the sandbar. I'm 5'4" and have had to be on my tiptoes to stand during one visit then only in waist deep water on another.

Life vests will help.......I think your children will enjoy the tour. If they do get nervous they can watch from the boat.

Enjoy your cruise!

Stingray City is GREAT for kids, but I do have one word of warning. If the seas are very rough, which does happen often in Grand Cayman, I wouldn't suggest allowing very young ones do the swimming with the stingrays, even if you're holding them. On one of our cruises, the water was so rough that they didn't allow anyone who wasn't a good swimmer into the water. It just takes one big wave to pull a child out of your arms (as we unfortunately have seen recently in South Asia). But if it's relatively nice water, the swim is wonderful for children.

My son went with us when he was 7. The seas were very rough that day and even being a good swimmer he got scared by the waves. In calm weather they both should be fine as long as they are comfortable in the water. The snorkeling is along a rope line so if they can swim generally they will be fine with an adult following along. Life jackets are supplied (on Nativeway at least). If the seas are choppy that day (which is an infrequent event) think twice though unless they are good swimmers.

• 2 weeks later...
In addition to pool or bathtub snorkel practice, (Excellent advice) consider wetsuits for the kids. My 6 and 10 year old stay in the water longer and like the partial bouyancy from the suits. Try consignment shops to save some money.

She did snorkel in Cozumel 2 years ago when she was 4 but I'm a bit concerned about her reaction with the stingrays... I guess I should be prepared for the worst! Thanks you all for your inputs. Very helpful! :)

I have done the stingrays with my dd twice once when she was 7 she sceamed for 20 solids minutes, but eventually calmed down. We have pictures of her holding the rays. This past August at age 10 we went again this time we had our 6yo son, he was hesitant but eventually warmed up to the rays. Daughter was all over them this time. Big difference three years can make.

Take 2 disposable water proof cameras, alternate taking the pictures in case one does not develope properly. The pics I took ended up being much better than the ones we were able to purchase.

You will get many miles out of these pictures for school reports and such.

So in the end, this excursion turns out to be a great experience for the kids. I'm sure my 10 y old son will love it. He is very animal friendly. It's my DD (6) that I was more concerned about. I will take underwater cameras for sure. Good input. Thanks so much!

Im hoping my youngest who is 7 wont be too freaked out by it and at least gets in the water for a once in a life time experience.. I also bought some of those arm floaties to put on her to see if that helps her if needed.. Im hoping she gives it a chance... My other two are 11 and 13 and I think they will at least give it a try.. Me and my boyfriend went about a year and a half ago and they've seen the pictures and think its cool..

We went last year with our 2 and 4 yr olds and had a great time. The kids were in our arms, and it took a little coaxing to get them in the water (it seemed a bit cool to Florida natives and transplants in April), and a little time to get them to pet the sting rays, but they LOVED it and it was truly a highlight of their trip. They both still talk about it. The guides were very patient, very helpful. We all had a great time.:)

Archived