Black Prince mini Farewell Cruise 19th Sept

bossmum1

We have just returned from Black Prince farewell mini cruise to Dublin and Falmouth.

I found this article

Farewell Black Prince

10:15am Wednesday 16th September 2009

The Port of Falmouth welcomes and says goodbye this month to a grand old lady of the sea, the cruise ship Black Prince – one of the best-loved cruiseships among experienced British passengers.

Today, the 43-year-old Black Prince arrives on the first of four farewell cruises planned for the next few weeks and ending on October 16 in Southampton.

On Monday, Black Prince will make her final call at Falmouth Fred Olsen Cruise Lines has announced it will retire its vessel next month.

The 441-passenger ship was built for the company by Flender Werft in Lubeck in 1966. When Black Prince entered service for Fred Olsen Ltd on October 19, 1966, it was in the role of a joint passenger/freight ferry operating between the UK and the Canary islands in the winter, and the UK and Norway in the summer.

The ship was converted to a full-time cruise ship in 1987 and, from February that year, became a key player in the cruising market in the UK.

Fred Olsen Cruise Lines managing director Mike Rodwell said: “This is a very sad announcement for the company to make, as Black Prince is one of the best-loved ships that caters to the UK market, and many passengers have cruised on her so often that even they have lost track of the number of holidays they have taken.

“We know that there will be thousands of passengers who have sailed on her who will be very sad on that final day.”

We were all given a certificate to mark the end off an era

Chrissy

img018.jpg.27c7403481dc1cf1030b917b683c7f9b.jpg

It is very sad to say "goodbye" to this fine old ship. It was sailing on it in 1991 which got me hooked on cruising. Although I have since "progressed" to all the other Fred. Olsen ships I will retain very fond memories of great cruises on this friendly little cruise ship. I wonder how many remember the long-standing Captain,Thor Fletten who in so many ways epitomised the Fred. Olsen style of cruising?

It is very sad to say "goodbye" to this fine old ship. It was sailing on it in 1991 which got me hooked on cruising. Although I have since "progressed" to all the other Fred. Olsen ships I will retain very fond memories of great cruises on this friendly little cruise ship. I wonder how many remember the long-standing Captain,Thor Fletten who in so many ways epitomised the Fred. Olsen style of cruising?

I agree with you sadly i didnt know the Captain you mentioned so i cannot comment on him. Its sad that a lot of people couldnt book any of the farewell cruises as they are fully booked, Some of them have cruised 30/40 and more cruises on this ship quess they where too late in booking. I too got hooked on cruiseing because of the Black Prince, ah bless her.

Archived