Honeysuckle Horseback Riding - Grand Cayman

coachk34

This was a great trip and we really had a good time. The owner of the horseback riding (Troy) picked us up in a maroon SUV, a very nice ride out to the horses which took about 20 minutes. The pick up is about a 4 minute walk from the north pier terminal. If you are looking you can see the store front as the boat approaches. Regardless of which pier you are let off at the store is to your right and less than a 5 minute walk. The horses were very calm and easy to ride. The majority of the ride was right on the beach and the horses walked in the water. The ride was very calm and peaceful. The day we were there, there was only three riders plus the guide. The guide just lead the group, he did not do any talking or narrating. My wife wanted one of the large shells that you could see on the beach so I asked the guide if she could get one. He was very accomodating and got off his horse and found her a good one. The ride lasted almost 1.5 hours. When we were done the guides were feeding the horses and putting them up so we had a chance to walk back down on the beach and enjoy the peacefulness. Troy told us he would drop us back off wherever we wanted, he dropped us right close to where we could do a little shopping and walk back to the boat. The total cost of the trip was $120. We paid a $24 deposit befor we left and the rest in cash the day of the ride. Our cruise ship was offering a horse ride for $89 per person so booking on our own saved us some money.

Some of the best prices we saw on alcohol was at the store right next to the north pier in grand cayman. Its a very easy process, you just tell them what you want and pay for it. They then get it on the ship for you and it is delivered into your stateroom the last night of the cruise.

The damage from hurrican Ivan was unreal, there was work and repair being done everywhere you look. But the people were very friendly and seemed to be recovering very well. From a shopping standpoint it is much more enjoyable in grand cayman than cozumel. They dont try to drag you in there stores in grand cayman.

Email or post any questions you may have. Thanks!!

Thanks for the great review! I've checked the boards, but haven't found much about horseback riding in GC. There are 8 of us booked with Honeysuckle on 2/7. I have always wanted to ride on the beach. We booked an intermediate ride, because the kids have only done trail rides. Were you able to let the horses run a bit?

Thanks!

the horses went at the same speed pretty much the whole time, you could move them along a little faster if they fell behind the the horse in front of them. But one horse would never pass another. My wife tried to get her horse along side me but it just would not go.

We both wore shorts and were very comfortable. The guide did have on blue jeans, so I guess it is which ever you prefer. Hope that helps, let me know if you have any more questions. I really wanted to do this review cause there was not a lot of info on it when I was considering it as an excursion in GC.

• 1 month later...

Eight of us took this trip last week. What a beautiful ride. I'm used to riding in the mountains of NY, so the tropical beach was quite a pleasant change! Troy gave us a lot of the info and history for GC.

I would suggest wearing long pants if you plan to ride. I wore longish shorts, but my legs still rubbed on the saddle.

You definitely helped! I really did NOT want to put on long pants! I think I was the only one who complained. The other women in my group wore capri pants. That was probably the right idea.

I wish I was there right now....

Joni

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

We did the horseback riding with Honeysuckle last week. It was a wonderful trip and they were very accomadating. We were booked for a 12:00 tour time but were nervous that we wouldn't make the last tender back to our ship. When we called the owner he said that it was not a problem and picked us up 30 minutes early. We all felt very comforatable with our guide and the horses. :o A wonderful day.

Archived