Custom Air Debacle Falls on Celebrity's Deaf Ears

smiseel

In June I booked the Celebrity Century sailing on July 8th to the Arctic Circle and North Cape. The cruise came with airfare to JFK. Due to my husband's disability, I booked an extra seat. The cost of this seat was $1,117. Celebrity sent me the tickets - one for me and the other for my husband. When I questioned the travel agent regarding the extra seat, I was told not to worry, everything was in the system.

When I arrived at JFK, I handed the agent the tickets and we were handed 2 boarding passes. I figured all would be well since "everything was in the system".

Our time at sea was wonderful! The nightmare began as soon as we hit the airport to return home. The KLM airline agent told me that she could see in her system that we had reserved three seats, but could not corroborate that the third seat had actually been purchased. We were literally forced to purchase another ticket.

When I returned home I called Celebrity and imagined all would be resolved quickly. Much to my surprise I was rudely and aggorantly treated. I wrote to Mr. Hanrahan, the CEO of Celebrity Cruises, and found the top of the tree to be as aggorant as the bottom.

I also wrote to the president of KLM and there I was treated in a much better fashion.

To quote from "Northwest Customer Care" :

"According to the check-in agent in Amsterdam, they found the reservation for the extra seat...However, although they checked in both

systems, they could not find a ticket issued for the extra seat. Our

records also verify that your reservation booked by Celebrity Cruises

had only two ticket numbers associated with it...

To continue, the KLM staff then called Northwest in the U.S., who, in

turn, called Celebrity Cruises for the ticket number in question.

Celebrity Cruises was unable to provide a ticket number for the extra

seat...

In conclusion, all of the information you have provided, our records,

and the KLM investigation concur that while Celebrity Cruises booked and

charged you $1117.67 for an extra seat, they, in fact, never actually

issued a ticket for this extra seat."

Would you believe that even after I sent this document to Mr. Hanrahan, CEO of Celebrity Cruises, they will still not issue me a refund? They told me to take it up with the airline.They are not remotely interested in resolving my customer experience.

Having unsuccessfully attempted to resolve this issue with them directly, I now feel that my only recourse is to share my true story with fellow cruise critics. Needless to say, I cancelled my upcoming trip on the Eclipse, on Oct 4, 2010.

Celebrity, although sea service is exceptional, the cruise is the whole experience.

Jane Sims

I would certainly not give up on this.

Check with your credit card company to see if it is too late to dispute the charge. If not, file a dispute including a copy of the letter from Northwest/KLM.

Send a certified letter to Celebrity with the facts including the Northwest/KLM reply. Ask for proof that payment was made to the airline.

If that fails, consult an attorney. If the facts are as you laid them out, Celebrity should be responsible for refunding the $1,100, and if you use an attorney, his/her fees. I am not an attorney, and would only use one if you cannot get any satisfaction from the credit card company or Celebrity.

Ken

As Kenevenpar stated, do not give up. I've initiated several disputes where I was overbilled. The credit card company acted on my behalf and I've always gotten compensation back for incorrect biling, overcharges, etc. including a messy mix-up between the hotel accounting departments and a major web-based travel site. Your credit card dispute department will give you instructions on what you need to send in and your notes of when/who you've contacted.

Good Luck. The Solstice class ships are fantastic (I just came off the Equinox last week) and it'd be a shame to miss a sailing on the sister ship Eclipse.

Jane, I agree with the other posters, do not under any circumstances give up. You paid for a service from Celebrity and did not receive it and had to pay again. I do not know about you, but I do not have that kind of money to give away. Please write the following:

Ombudsman

Conde Nast Traveler

New York, NY 10036

He is also, connected with Frommer's Budget Travel and frequently gets people results from travel mishaps. Because you have excellent documentation and went to the top, he should be able to help you.

Try this one first, chris@elliott.org as you can do it by email, which will be quicker. He also specializes in helping travelers resolve issues like yours.

Good Luck

Jane, I agree with the other posters, do not under any circumstances give up. You paid for a service from Celebrity and did not receive it and had to pay again. I do not know about you, but I do not have that kind of money to give away. Please write the following:

Ombudsman

Conde Nast Traveler

New York, NY 10036

He is also, connected with Frommer's Budget Travel and frequently gets people results from travel mishaps. Because you have excellent documentation and went to the top, he should be able to help you.

Try this one first, chris@elliott.org as you can do it by email, which will be quicker. He also specializes in helping travelers resolve issues like yours.

Good Luck

If the above link fails you, try christopher@elliott.org Both may work, but I have it from msnbc with christopher spelled out.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

P.S. Chris Elliott has a great story this week about travel in 2010. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32918498/ns/travel-tips

I am a little confused. Was the problem only on the return? It seems that you had no trouble on the flight from JFK. Did you get an extra seat then? Did you fly the same airline both ways? What is your travel agent doing to help you with this?

Archived