Poll: Are jeans or shorts appropriate for casual night in the MDR?

Are jeans or shorts acceptable in the MDR for casual night?  

1,131 members have voted

1. 1. Are jeans or shorts acceptable in the MDR for casual night?

• Jeans are fine, shorts are not.
    • Jeans are not okay, shorts are fine.
    • Jeans and shorts are fine.
    • Neither are okay in MDR!
    • Heck - I'd wear either on Formal Night!!

I wouldn't call the MDR a nice restaurant. The servers may be dress nicely and the tables are white clothes, but that's about the only thing it has in common with a nice restaurant... food from applebees or longhorn is of better quality...

It seems the difference of opinions is a generation issue... the old farts still think you gotta dress up... I can only think of 1 or 2 restaurants in Atlanta that won't let you in with jeans.... actually, only 1 because the other just shut down... wonder why :rolleyes:

Majority consensus? That's amusing and is just a pipe dream...the debate will go on, and on, and on.... :)

But it does seem like the neither are fine has the most votes with jeans ok just behind.

Actually jeans are fine/shorts no and jeans and shorts are fine mean that the majority here (for whatever THAT'S worth:p) says jeans are fine. It does seem the majority says no shorts, though.

But all in all it's close between nothing is okay and jeans/no shorts are okay...

I wouldn't call the MDR a nice restaurant. The servers may be dress nicely and the tables are white clothes, but that's about the only thing it has in common with a nice restaurant... food from applebees or longhorn is of better quality...

This is typical of "it's not my fault" society. Perceived low quality of food=dress accordingly. It's the cruiseline's fault.:rolleyes:

That is the wrong argument for jeans. The MDR experience is a social gathering with a certain level of context. It's not about the food. Can't we just pretend?

If jeans are the current norm of casual dress where you live, then so be it. Some people do seem to blurr the lines between cutting the lawn and going to a sit down dinner. We're here to help clarify.;)

At our company Christmas party, that will be held in a hotel with a buffet, not a single employee will come wearing jeans because of the social context, not the food.

No, the majority is for jeans but no shorts because jeans no shorts + both are fine = the majority. It's close, though.:)

These are TWO different choices. You cannot lump them together. Each person is allowed ONE vote. That vote has to choose one or the other. So, Neither jeans or shorts has the most votes at 355.

Jeans are fine, Shorts are not is 2nd with 304 votes.

These are TWO different choices. You cannot lump them together. Each person is allowed ONE vote. That vote has to choose one or the other. So, Neither jeans or shorts has the most votes at 355.

Jeans are fine, Shorts are not is 2nd with 304 votes.

But jeans are O.K. according to 403 people. And yes I can lump them together. See I just did.

But jeans are O.K. according to 403 people. And yes I can lump them together. See I just did.

Just like the non-conformists always do....twist the facts into something to allow what is not intended to be allowed.

That is something Sadam would have done. Count 2 votes, from different choices, in order to make the outcome to his favor.

Just like the non-conformists always do....twist the facts into something to allow what is not intended to be allowed.

That is something Sadam would have done. Count 2 votes, from different choices, in order to make the outcome to his favor.

Great Post. Very well thought out. Even a simple non comformist mind like mine can figure out if you look at the categories 403 people say you can wear jeans. its really not hard. oh and by the way I don't really care how the vote comes out, it won't change how I dress or the fact that I don't care how you dress.

There is one thing I find more interesting than people being so concerned with what someone else wears or that someone might feel they are wrong for what they wear.

Here's some twenty pages of opinions but mixed with insults, rudeness, name calling, sarcasm, and frankly some very mean spirited and cruel posts. And its still here. Evidently appropriate.

I've had 2 threads that were evidently deemed inappropriate. The subject of the threads were that I thought people could be a little nicer on these boards.

Great Post. Very well thought out. Even a simple non comformist mind like mine can figure out if you look at the categories 403 people say you can wear jeans. its really not hard. oh and by the way I don't really care how the vote comes out, it won't change how I dress or the fact that I don't care how you dress.

Lol! You just made me spit my coffee out! I'm not sure why it's a difficult concept to figure out how people feel. Add up how many thought just jeans is fine. Add up how many thought just shorts is fine. Add up how many thought neither is fine.... not hard. You get a total there.

Thanks for the post, Sadam!:p

Thanks - I skipped all the intervening pages because I can just imagine what a lot of the posts include.

However - I was torn as far as jeans. To me (and like everything else posted on this thread is an opinion) jeans are not considered business casual and that is how I interpret casual night.

But, of course everyone on here who wears jeans on causual night just purchased them from Armani and they still have the $300 price tag and have razor sharp creases so they must be okay. Because noone would consider wearing their nice comfy broken in jeans in the dining room. ;) None of us have ever seen that before.

So, another opinion, and add to the many that others will skip over to post their opinion. :D

Regardless of what the polls say, I have seen plenty of jeans, and a good amount of shorts, in the MDR on different ships. Not so much on formal nights, but on the other nights, it seems anything goes.

Is it right or wrong? It just is.

My peeve is people who go into the CL or the DL dressed in their beach clothes, flip flops, etc, with their hair all dirty and messy (even on formal night). Take a shower already. Some of the concierges will go over and speak to them but others do nothing.

Lol! You just made me spit my coffee out! I'm not sure why it's a difficult concept to figure out how people feel. Add up how many thought just jeans is fine. Add up how many thought just shorts is fine. Add up how many thought neither is fine.... not hard. You get a total there.

Thanks for the post, Sadam!:p

You are welcome you pompous ditz :p. At the risk of sounding like a dirty old man, hot new picture. :D

It seems the difference of opinions is a generation issue... the old farts still think you gotta dress up... I can only think of 1 or 2 restaurants in Atlanta that won't let you in with jeans.... actually, only 1 because the other just shut down... wonder why :rolleyes:

This is typical of "it's not my fault" society. Perceived low quality of food=dress accordingly. It's the cruiseline's fault.:rolleyes:

Re read my quote above. I only referenced the comment about it being a nice restaurant. When I mentioned clothing, I started a new paragraph. Pay attention.

That is the wrong argument for jeans. The MDR experience is a social gathering with a certain level of context. It's not about the food. Can't we just pretend?

I don't know about you but I don't choose a cruise as a vacation so I can make friends. That's YOUR opinion of what the MDR should be. To most people, it's a place you have dinner that doesn't cost extra and don't have to stand in a line.

If jeans are the current norm of casual dress where you live, then so be it. Some people do seem to blurr the lines between cutting the lawn and going to a sit down dinner. We're here to help clarify.;)

Evidently you guys dress differently in Mayberry because in large US cities, jeans are the norm and acceptable.

At our company Christmas party, that will be held in a hotel with a buffet, not a single employee will come wearing jeans because of the social context, not the food.

Nobody asked. You have a keyword that changes the entire context of what you're saying....PARTY. Dinner in the MDR is not a party. Are you trying to imply that I should dress up to go to the windjammer? Because after all it is a hotel buffet...

I don't know about you but I don't choose a cruise as a vacation so I can make friends. That's YOUR opinion of what the MDR should be. To most people, it's a place you have dinner that doesn't cost extra and don't have to stand in a line.

Isn't that "your" opinion? Did you poll passengers as they left the dining room and ask them why they chose to share a table with total strangers?

Evidently you guys dress differently in Mayberry because in large US cities, jeans are the norm and acceptable.

So a rude condescending attitude is the norm in the glorified poorly dressed environment you choose to call home?

Nobody asked. You have a keyword that changes the entire context of what you're saying....PARTY. Dinner in the MDR is not a party. Are you trying to imply that I should dress up to go to the windjammer? Because after all it is a hotel buffet...

Refer to my comments above.

So, you also consider rudeness to be a virtue?

It's not about the food.

Oh dear, now LMAO but from what I have tasted can't completely disagree! Not sure when this changed but there was a time cruising was about the FOOD and very good FOOD. I am reasonable enough to know in life you get what you pay for. I am not going to knock others for thinking they are not providing them with a meal deserving of the extra effort of time past. Heaven sakes, some think MDR is not about FOOD and others cruising is not about PORTS. I could be trapped on a boat with so-so food meeting people. Not bad if they aren't all CC posters judging me on how I look....JMOP!

As for pointing fingers at generations, aren't some raised in a one that kept LAWS on the books that were punitive to certain groups. Then, like now some/few can only saw what's on the outside. Really not much has changed....has it?. Hooray for that generation, some still struggling with change.

food from applebees or longhorn is of better quality...

Either you have the country's best Applebees and Longhorn where you live or you've been ordering the wrong items in the MDR because I've yet to eat at any branch from either of those two establishments where the food was better than what I have selected in the MDR on any of my cruises. Or perhaps you're just cruising on the wrong ships or cruise lines.

I can't help but notice that the anti-jeans people can not make their points without insults. Personally, I'd rather cruise with a ship full of people wearing jeans than a ship full of miserable people who judge me based on my clothes.

You notice that too? ROFLMAO!!

They must not be living a quote.gifhealthy lifestyle. quote.gif

I can't help but notice that the anti-jeans people can not make their points without insults. Personally, I'd rather cruise with a ship full of people wearing jeans than a ship full of miserable people who judge me based on my clothes.

I agree 100 %

Archived