Poll: Are jeans or shorts appropriate for casual night in the MDR?

Are jeans or shorts acceptable in the MDR for casual night?  

1,131 members have voted

1. 1. Are jeans or shorts acceptable in the MDR for casual night?

• Jeans are fine, shorts are not.
    • Jeans are not okay, shorts are fine.
    • Jeans and shorts are fine.
    • Neither are okay in MDR!
    • Heck - I'd wear either on Formal Night!!

Actually G'Ma there is no such place as Denim, France. Denim gets its name from Nimes, France... de Nimes..or denim means from or of Nimes.

Also, I was born long before 1958 and I know that there most certainly ARE dressy jeans and dressy shorts. Not all of us of the older generation are living in the Dark Ages.

And a final thought on those that think shorts are "acceptable" in the MDR. When there's a sign posted outside the dining room saying "no shorts", ignoring that is no different than lighting up a cigarette in the MDR. It's clearly a "no smoking" area. People should no more think about wearing shorts in the dining room than smoking. It really doesn't matter that one is a health issue and the other isn't; it's about intentionally breaking the rules.

Agreed, but that's where RCI uses it's discretion. People walk into the MDR in shorts and RCI turns a blind eye. There is no way that they would ignore someone smoking in the MDR.

I'm sure I mentioned this before, but I would agree that true dressy jeans should be acceptable on casual nights. But, of course, the problem is how would you write that into policy.

Just leave the policy as it is and let RCI decide what is acceptable. There are those of us that do know how to dress acceptably, in jeans, and within the existing guidelines.

Okay, but to me that is utterly ridiculous. I am seriously asking you - so if we just follow only the suggested guidelines, which means I now need to buy things I don't own because they are far too old for me - I mean, my Grandma said 'slacks' I don't even know what that means...is that the elastic waist pull over nylon pants?:D (no flaming - my Mom wears those and looks lovely but I wouldn't as they are a bit too matronly for me as are dockers) Anyway - so now you are saying that if a person comes in a tux with rips and holes that this is somehow different than the mentality of a person in jeans with holes? I mean, if I come in the required (by your pleading of just following the suggested guidelines only) cocktail dress - which means I can no longer wear the usual dressy, sparkly formal gowns I usually wear because a cocktail dress denotes a tea length semi-formal dress - that it's okay if that has rips and holes in it? Just so you know, it isn't formal night by RCCL's description if the man is wearing a tux, which is formal, and the woman is wearing a cocktail dress, which is semi-formal - just something for you to think about. Why would someone that would come in rips and holes with one type of material not come in rips and holes in another type of material??

I don't know anyone that wears ripped up, holey jeans - at all. Maybe in the 80's. And if a child (teen included) is not dressed in presentable (not dirty, not ripped) clothing then it is the parents to blame, not the dress code....

I voted for neither...I like wearing my nice jeans; however, I will not wear them when I go out for a nice dinner.

I was going to say that I am in the younger crowd myself (early 30s), but seeing as how I use the word "slacks" all the time I guess I am not. Slacks = nice pants you would usually wear to an office job -- you will usually find such clothes at an Ann Taylor Loft. No elastic waist band, but you will find they have zipper front, sometimes belt-looped, sometimes pockets, sometimes cuffed, etc.

I believe the holey/ripped jeans comment was started because there are people who actually do wear holey/ripped jeans...yes, it was a fad in the 80s; however I have seen plenty worn after 1989. I don't believe I have ever seen a woman wear a ripped evening gown, nor a man with a tattered suit/tuxedo. I have also never known of a ripped gown or tuxedo fad.

Yes, it is 2009.

If we posted that girls should wear skirts that reach barely below their navals, sans underwear, kids today would probably understand that dress code immediately.:)

Or pants must be worn hanging a foot below the waistline and your boxer shorts are showing.

There are probably kids out there who still "get it" even though it is 2009.;)

Well when I talked about a generation gap I was mainly talking about Adults under 40 and what dressy jeans mean to that generation. (And to those of us well over that age but who do know that fashion trends evolve.) Last time I checked, unless one was married, one had to be 21 or 25 (not sure which) or older to sail without a parent or guardian on RCI. If a child or teen or early 20's showed up dressed as you say (and seemingly had parental permission to do so) I do believe the Head Waiter would probably step into the situation.

I think that is a far cry from an attractive 35 year old woman wearing a pair of dressy jeans, a lovely fashionable top and heels. That is to what most of us are referring and you certainly know this. And yes, lots of young people like to dress in cute dresses most nights in the MDR, my daughters wear dresses more often than not.

Colleen

Agreed, but that's where RCI uses it's discretion. People walk into the MDR in shorts and RCI turns a blind eye. There is no way that they would ignore someone smoking in the MDR.

Just leave the policy as it is and let RCI decide what is acceptable. There are those of us that do know how to dress acceptably, in jeans, and within the existing guidelines.

So those that get away with breaking a rule should determine what is appropriate or not?? Not logical.

Peter

Well when I talked about a generation gap I was mainly talking about Adults under 40 and what dressy jeans mean to that generation. (And to those of us well over that age but who do know that fashion trends evolve.) Last time I checked, unless one was married, one had to be 21 or 25 (not sure which) or older to sail without a parent or guardian on RCI. If a child or teen or early 20's showed up dressed as you say (and seemingly had parental permission to do so) I do believe the Head Waiter would probably step into the situation.

I think that is a far cry from an attractive 35 year old woman wearing a pair of dressy jeans, a lovely fashionable top and heels. That is to what most of us are referring and you certainly know this. And yes, lots of young people like to dress in cute dresses most nights in the MDR, my daughters wear dresses more often than not.

Colleen

We had dressy jeans in the 70's so the 50 plus crowd no about the NonLevi Jeans.I'm sure they will go out of style then return in another 25 years

:cj

Colleen

Jeans have no age limit.......many over 40 look hot in jeans too.........

Remember yesterdays 50 is todays 40;)

I voted neither is appropriate in MDR.

I find this latest discussion about dressy jeans very interesting.

Would one of you define "dressy jeans". I am thinking jeans are denim, or stretch denim, various shades of blue. Are dressy jeans dark or light? Do they cost more, have a special label or is it the fit? Just what makes jeans dressy???

Would one of you define "dressy jeans". I am thinking jeans are denim, or stretch denim, various shades of blue. Are dressy jeans dark or light? Do they cost more, have a special label or is it the fit? Just what makes jeans dressy???

There really is no such thing....it's an oxymoron.

There is no way that they would ignore someone smoking in the MDR.

I agree. Most reasonable, outside of cruise world, people know smoking represents a health risk.

Looking at someone's cottage cheese thights is a far cry from breathing in smoke, known to cause CANCER.

"Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools."

If you can't figure it out......I would suggest that you don't wear them;)

When in doubt do without.......

I think mature adults shouldn't try to tell other mature adults what is right to wear. And my knuckles do not actually reach the floor. Was it my Reds, Pirates or Indians hat that most offended you? :)

Other than voting "no" in the poll, I certainly haven't told anyone what they should or should not wear.

My comments are simply the result of personal observation of those who think jeans and shorts are "dressy" under any circumstances....and, my personal opinion.

Boobs who want to look like boobs or hicks or the Clampetts are certainly free to do so.

Those who have no social graces, no sense of appropriate anything, are certainly free to present themselves in any manner they choose.

However, don't jump on those who laugh at thier choices......

Was this written in 1958? Talk about being out of touch! Geesh!

No, sweetie......I am a history buff and I read...ya know, like, books?

It may be hard to believe but; Class is never out of touch, neither is style.

And, I'd lay money you didn't know a thing about denim, jeans, levi's or the gold rush....

See? CC can be very educational.

Amen. Had my daughter read this and a few other's posts and she said "Dad ,do these people know it's 2009" :)

Had this been a new experience for a daughter of mine and she asked such a question, I'd have encouraged her to pick up a book and read about it.....

Breeding is easy, teaching is the hard part.

Actually G'Ma there is no such place as Denim, France. Denim gets its name from Nimes, France... de Nimes..or denim means from or of Nimes. Well, of course.....but, it's not good to be too awfully technical here or use strange and foreign words. Facts and figures can confuse so many...... And, "serge de Nimes" was the original name of the fabric.

Also, I was born long before 1958 and I know that there most certainly ARE dressy jeans and dressy shorts. Not all of us of the older generation are living in the Dark Ages.

Well, then, you are certainly old enough to know what's appropriate and what isn't.

Of course, it's your choice; clothes making the "man" and all.

Personally, in my circle of family, friends, kids, grandkids and companions, jeans are never considered dressy under any circumstances....but, that's just us.

Archived