Carnival Sensation or Norwegian Sky for Bahamas?

AandBmom

DH and I are looking to do a quick cruise to the Bahamas while DH is in Florida for work in November or December.

I'm having difficulty deciding between Carnival or Norwegian. They both offer great deals.

Can someone please give us some info. that might help us decide.

Here's a bit about us:

We're in our mid-thirties, we have children but won't be bringing the older ones, just the infant. We like meeting other young adults. We're not too concerned about which ports we visit.

We've cruised on Carnival once and found it to be acceptable, but nothing extraordinary. We've also cruised Princess and found it to be high quality and beautiful, but a little stuffy.

We like:

Decent sized cabins, great food in the dining room and great selection on a buffet.

Great evening shows.

Clean ship in good repair.

Good service.

Ample room in public areas of the ship to walk with a stroller.

Easy getting on and off the ship.

Please offer opinions. Thanks.

We have done both ships and are now back to Carnival.

We tried the Sky last year because of a special they were running on balconies. Cabins are much smaller (even with the balcony). Service was much less and the food quality not nearly as good on the Sky in Comparison to any Carnival ship. Anytime dining sounded nice, but if you werent there right when the dining room opened there always seemed to be a line with about 30-45minute wait. We too traveled with my son (then 9 months) and wouldnt wait in line. We either got in as soon as they opened or it was the Lido buffet for us.

My wife and I got married on the Sensation a few years back and had a great time. In my opinion, I would stay with the Sensation over any NCL ship in the same class. We are now ready to go on the Inspiration at the end of November in our first suite.

Bon Voyage

djp

I booked a balcony on the Sky because it was so cheap and would never go on her again. I had a lot of fun on my other NCL cruises, but not so much on the Sky. I would definitely have to go with the Sensation. Great ship and larger rooms. Other than that, NCL and CCL are pretty similar in regards to food, entertainment, age group range, etc.

You might also consider where you will be in Florida. If you are going to be in the Miami area, you will want to look at the Imagination or the Destiny for a short cruise. The Sensation is based in Port Canaveral (3 hours north of Miami). If you have time for a 4 dayer, we loved the Imagination and the service was wonderful! They also have a great waterpark that your little one could even enjoy as well. Carnival's cabins are much larger than any on NCL! Having a baby with you, cabin space is important as well!

Cabins are definitely larger on Carnival than NCL. ALso, consider a Window vs. Interior. I was surprised what a difference the 35 sq make. I am not sure what the tipping policy is for infants but know that NCL now charges $12 per day for adults and Children and Carnival is $10 per day. NCL can not be removed or reduced as Carnival can. NCL calls it a service fee not tips, tippings are extra even though it goes to the staff.

(NCL if you go to the salon they will automatically charge you 15% then ask if you want to leave a tip - so you think you haven't - because it is a "service fee" but You have.)

If there is no "service fee" for under 2, what I call an infant, then no worries - but I think you have to pay for their cruise just the same if they are 6 months or 2 years so I am guessing there is a tip charge on both cruises.

I looked at the NCL cruises today because they are great prices and we did not love Sensation. But for 3 days - a 3 day cruise on any ship is a good day.

I would weigh port - Miami vs Port Canaveral = big Difference. If you are in Miami then you can consider lots of other Carnival cruises (Ft. Lauderdale, too) NCL is very limited in their number of ships which is why I find them difficult to fit into my cruising schedule.

The tip difference is big. 12 per day vs 10 for a child adds up especially when you can't decrease the cabin steward portion.

NCL does offer all sorts of extra dining choices but they cost extra and your infant will not be old enough for free kids activities.

We've done both and the Sky TWICE-most recently Feb......Food in the alternative venues is PHENOMENAL-I am NOT cheap like some of my friends...spending $15 in the French Le Bistro for salad,shrimp cocktail,filet mignon & 2 side dishes,fresh bread & butter,AND that AMAZING Fruit Fondue (a bowl of fruit w/hot chocolate fondue you can dip fruit in!) were all fabulous-you can't eat at Denny's for $15!! AND how about a quiet table for 2 by the window over-looking the sea??? Then we went to Il Adaggio,the Italian place...salad,bread,calamari,chicken parmigiana w/pasta,and dessert for TEN dollars pp!!! Again,a nice table for 2 overlooking the sea...as for the cabins,YES,they are bit smaller than Carnival..we had a balcony cabin twice,one was aft (they are nice and private),the other on deck 7 in the middle....also the shows were terrific on the NCL Sky MUCH better than on Carnival...they had a guitar singer in a pub called Capt.Cook's and he was great-best we had seen on our 23 cruises so far..he would welcome you when you came in,asked your names and where you are from.The next night if you came back,he would say into the mike,"welcome back Alan & Teresa from West Palm Beach,Florida!" He also took so many requests-I asked for 2 Beatle songs,he said he would learn them that night...well,he went back to his cabin and learned both songs (8 Days a week & Here Comes The Sun) and the NEXT night he played it just for us...Those are the things I look for-little things that you make you feel special on a cruise...

The Sensation's new water park is great,their newly installed balcony cabins are small,but still they are balcony cabins....pool on the Sky needs work,hot tubs OK...music at the Sky's pool is horrible,so bring an I-Pod if you have one...any other questions,fire away-we've done 23 cruises,6 CCL,4 NCL,10 RCI.....

Big Al

DH and I are looking to do a quick cruise to the Bahamas while DH is in Florida for work in November or December.

I'm having difficulty deciding between Carnival or Norwegian. They both offer great deals.

Can someone please give us some info. that might help us decide.

Here's a bit about us:

We're in our mid-thirties, we have children but won't be bringing the older ones, just the infant. We like meeting other young adults. We're not too concerned about which ports we visit.

We've cruised on Carnival once and found it to be acceptable, but nothing extraordinary. We've also cruised Princess and found it to be high quality and beautiful, but a little stuffy.

We like:

Decent sized cabins, great food in the dining room and great selection on a buffet.

Great evening shows.

Clean ship in good repair.

Good service.

Ample room in public areas of the ship to walk with a stroller.

Easy getting on and off the ship.

Please offer opinions. Thanks.

HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLOOOOO AandBmom: I have cruised at least one cruise on each line. Carnival has much better food and entertainment. As for a ship in good repair on the first day of my cruise on NCL the shower door came off it's hinges onto my foot. So much for good repair. I believe you get a much better cruise experience with Carnival. That is why I still cruise with them and not with NCL.

The best deals are on NCL and RCL which typically have the exact same price. Carnival is typically higher priced (even though they have fewer ports). You'll enjoy the private island stops on NCL or especially RCL (Carnival only goes to Nassau).

Archived