How often will the trees in Central Park be replaced?

Texas Teen

I'm just curious! :D It doesn't look like there will be much room for the roots to grow. Eventually, the roots will grow too deep and reach the roof of the Royal Promenade! (Yes, I'm bored, so I decided to ask this boring question!)

Same kind of question as, How long is a peice of string? Young man, Its time to get off the computer and get some exercise.

I'm just curious! :D It doesn't look like there will be much room for the roots to grow. Eventually, the roots will grow too deep and reach the roof of the Royal Promenade! (Yes, I'm bored, so I decided to ask this boring question!)

Perhaps I can offer a serious answer here. The arborists who RCI consulted with knew what types of trees and plants could survive this kind of planting environment. It is possible to use size controlling root stocks to minimize the height of the trees so I am sure they contracted with a nursery to grow them for the ship. I grew apple trees on a "pixie" root and the trees grew barely 6 feet tall. Keeping the trees within their space and maintaining them at a predetermined size is very doable.

The trees and foliage will look far more beautiful after everything has had a chance to grow and fill in their assigned location. Passengers traveling later in 2010 and beyond will see a much more impressive Central Park than those who are traveling earlier I believe.

I'm more curious about what happens when the ship gets stuck in rough seas from a hurricane and a tree's shallow roots are unable to support it. I'm sure these trees are not going to be huge but a 7-10 foot tree can still cause damage if it falls.

I don't think they'll change them. The newest attraction in one year:

Climb from Promenade to the Park.

roots.jpg

Who wants to ride the Rising Tide when you can have an eco-adventure.

Sounds fun! :eek: :p

They're going to use those upside-down planters that grow tomatoes, only giant ones. Then the roots can just keep growing UP to the sky. Simple.

LOL! I can't find any upside-down trees in any of the renderings!

Same kind of question as, How long is a peice of string? Young man, Its time to get off the computer and get some exercise.

Huh? I don't get it.

Don't worry, I will ride my bike at dusk when it gets a little cooler.

Perhaps I can offer a serious answer here. The arborists who RCI consulted with knew what types of trees and plants could survive this kind of planting environment. It is possible to use size controlling root stocks to minimize the height of the trees so I am sure they contracted with a nursery to grow them for the ship. I grew apple trees on a "pixie" root and the trees grew barely 6 feet tall. Keeping the trees within their space and maintaining them at a predetermined size is very doable.

The trees and foliage will look far more beautiful after everything has had a chance to grow and fill in their assigned location. Passengers traveling later in 2010 and beyond will see a much more impressive Central Park than those who are traveling earlier I believe.

That makes a lot of sense. I also think Central Park will look better after the plants and trees grow a little.

I'm more curious about what happens when the ship gets stuck in rough seas from a hurricane and a tree's shallow roots are unable to support it. I'm sure these trees are not going to be huge but a 7-10 foot tree can still cause damage if it falls.

Wow... I've never thought about that! :eek: Let's hope the stabilizers work well!

I would be mor concerned as to how many people are going to drop thing(or throw things) off their central park/boardwalk balconies:eek:
Ouch! :D Someone threw a book about the Carnival Dream at me from their balcony!

Archived